SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

1 hour ago, Prison_Mike said:

Big deal.  How many professional wrestlers have those schools produced?  You can't tell me the Junk Yard Dog or the Macho Man came from any of those schools.

I don't know...

brock-lesnar-1000x600.jpg

This guy did alright. Of course the U can stake claim to the G.O.A.T (I didn't know he lived in Edina, which explains his high styling, profiling, jet flying, limousine riding lifestyle... cake eater :p )

anigif_enhanced-31861-1426272575-5.gif

11 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I was in the "absolutely not" crowd until ND joined.  From a pure hockey standpoint we are a big school.  Other teams in the NCHC build good team by selecting over-agers, kids who peaked later and didn't receive an offer from a bigger school (MN, Mich, ND, UND, etc.).  I am afraid that we get left out of this conference (filled with the bigger schools and in our recruiting territory) that we would be forced to eventually change our recruiting strategy to older players.  What happens when they do lower the age?  This is all pure speculation I simply don't like where all this is going. 

UND won't have to worry about that. With Ralph's donation of the arena, the top of the line amenities and facilities and their commitment to hockey there's absolutely no way that UND will ever "get left behind" or be forced to recruit other players. UND, Minnesota, BC, BU etc are the Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon etc of college football. They're the blue bloods and will almost surely be around the top forever with some of the inevitable down years tossed in.

11 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I believe a UM-TC fan already explained that is not a real concern.  Only happens like once a year or something similar.

Correct. Sunday games or whatever are extremely rare. Almost every single one of them was because of the school having a home football game that weekend (which has been going on for years even at Minnesota), but it's non-conference play during that time. UND could continue operations as is. They may have the very occasional Thursday game, but it's extremely rare. Minnesota had one this year and I'm pretty sure it's only because it allowed BTN to have both end of season MN-MI games televised that week. I can deal with one per year.

7 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

In some cases, wrestling overshadows hockey.

Hockey is no higher than #3 in popularity at any B1G school, including Minnesota. Hockey is popular but isn't even close to football and basketball in popularity. The only B1G school that can probably claim hockey is their 2nd most popular sport is Penn State. Right now that's a for sure. If their basketball team improves it won't be true.

That's just how it is. Football and basketball at B1G schools are marketed in arguably the top conference in college sports and those sports are televised to far larger audiences much more often than hockey.

3 minutes ago, GFG said:

Hockey is no higher than #3 in popularity at any B1G school, including Minnesota. Hockey is popular but isn't even close to football and basketball in popularity. The only B1G school that can probably claim hockey is their 2nd most popular sport is Penn State. Right now that's a for sure. If their basketball team improves it won't be true.

That's just how it is. Football and basketball at B1G schools are marketed in arguably the top conference in college sports and those sports are televised to far larger audiences much more often than hockey.

Pretty sure I've said that numerous times but people still like to think otherwise. 

2 hours ago, GFG said:

And yet Minnesota is also terrible at football and basketball.

10 hours ago, GFG said:

Correct. Sunday games or whatever are extremely rare. Almost every single one of them was because of the school having a home football game that weekend (which has been going on for years even at Minnesota), but it's non-conference play during that time. UND could continue operations as is. They may have the very occasional Thursday game, but it's extremely rare. Minnesota had one this year and I'm pretty sure it's only because it allowed BTN to have both end of season MN-MI games televised that week. I can deal with one per year.

You're saying the Gofers have a football team?  When did this happen? ;)

14 hours ago, Prison_Mike said:

Big deal.  How many professional wrestlers have those schools produced?  You can't tell me the Junk Yard Dog or the Macho Man came from any of those schools.

Larry "The Axe" Henning--Gophers

Iron Mike Dibiase--Nebraska

Rick Steiner-Michigan

Bob Backlund--NDSU...not Big 10, but local

Randy Gust---UND...another local who jobbed a few matches in the old WWF

46 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I just got some inside news. NDSU will be joining the big ten conference in all sports including hockey. I'm not sure what other teams will be moving to the big ten.

Now we are going to need to find a new arena to hold regional tourneys.

You're a week ahead. ;)

Changed my mind and think the B1G will stay at seven and isn't going after Ariz St.  Seven can work for the B1G, especially for their strange scheduling patterns.  PLus Ariz St isn't a proven hockey program and they don't have a permanent rink yet and the B1G doesn't take rentals if more PAC12 program s appear.  Furthermore, Ariz St Coach Powers was quoted as saying they have two conference offers, not three.  The WCHA has officially offered Ariz St and the NCHC would certainly offer them.  That leaves no offer from the B1G.  The B1G can't afford another bad program and 24 conference games would be perfect so that keeps plenty of non-conference games on the schedule.

Another reason is that Bowling Green wants out of the WCHA but hasn't started a CCHA with the western AHA teams.  BGSU would prefer to be with Miami and W Mich in the NCHC and they will be the choice to add with  Ariz St  So that keeps another league from forming, which would be bad for Miami and W Mich regionally.  Miami and W Mich will get another closer rival for low travel games while UND, DU, and CC will get a big name western school.  Everybody will be happy in the NCHC.