SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

As a school we don't quite fit the profile of the B1G schools. That really works against us as far as being asked to join the B1G, even just for hockey.  For other sports included, there is a near Zero chance. Granted all this has been said in posts here before.  We're cutting programs and that in itself, makes us look very unappealing.  Now, if hockey doesn't rebound in the B1G next season (and no member announces a new hockey program), they might be getting a little toward the desperate side to find someone outside the B1G to join as an affiliate. If we have another great season, we could be the most likely one to be asked. Slim chance if they do any asking at all, but a possibility, and we would also need Minnesota and Wisconsin leading the drive from within for this to happen. If the opportunity arises, we cut the best deal we can and join. The best way may be putting in insurances about not being easily asked to leave down the road. So, IMO, this would have to happen in the near future while the B1G is still struggling, and while they might still be receptive to a Notre Dame type of relationship.  I would think the B1G will eventually rebound, at which time they would have no need to ask us. It would be good to be around for that rebound.  Maybe I'm a little selfish here, but when I was student at UND; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, and Notre Dame were all in the WCHA. Wouldn't it be great to be in the same conference with them again? Add up the success of those 6 storied hockey programs!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

As a school we don't quite fit the profile of the B1G schools. That really works against us as far as being asked to join the B1G, even just for hockey.  For other sports included, there is a near Zero chance. Granted all this has been said in posts here before.  We're cutting programs and that in itself, makes us look very unappealing.  Now, if hockey doesn't rebound in the B1G next season (and no member announces a new hockey program), they might be getting a little toward the desperate side to find someone outside the B1G to join as an affiliate. If we have another great season, we could be the most likely one to be asked. Slim chance if they do any asking at all, but a possibility, and we would also need Minnesota and Wisconsin leading the drive from within for this to happen. If the opportunity arises, we cut the best deal we can and join. The best way may be putting in insurances about not being easily asked to leave down the road. So, IMO, this would have to happen in the near future while the B1G is still struggling, and while they might still be receptive to a Notre Dame type of relationship.  I would think the B1G will eventually rebound, at which time they would have no need to ask us. It would be good to be around for that rebound.  Maybe I'm a little selfish here, but when I was student at UND; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, and Notre Dame were all in the WCHA. Wouldn't it be great to be in the same conference with them again? Add up the success of those 6 storied hockey programs!

Reading this makes me want to puke

9 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Well written but in reality, it's a pipe dream. UND does not fit the B10 mold as a school; strike one. The B10 wouldn't give up any TV revenue to UND and UND would want some of it; strike two. UND does not need the B10 conference or any of those schools, they are doing just fine playing other out of conference games.

• Upvote 2

DU seems like the logical school for the BIG to invite-academically, they fit the BIG profile, I believe DU has the largest endowment of the member NCHC schools, the Denver market seems to fit the large market profile that the conference seems to like, and DU is really strong in lacrosse which would be another good addition to BIG lacrosse. 

26 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

DU seems like the logical school for the BIG to invite-academically, they fit the BIG profile, I believe DU has the largest endowment of the member NCHC schools, the Denver market seems to fit the large market profile that the conference seems to like, and DU is really strong in lacrosse which would be another good addition to BIG lacrosse. 

Denver may be more appealing than UND? It is right up there with those 6 storied programs I mention a couple posts ago. I just think if B1G asks, we should go/strongly consider, of course we can't say yes to anything. If we don't, then say any combination of Denver, St. Cloud, and/or Duluth go? What position are we in then. There is bound to be a change in some conferences, just look at the movement over the past. I do dream!

DU has also shown a pattern of social climbing the past decade since they went DI. I can't keep track of all the non-hockey conferences they've been in and out of. They seem to change conferences more often than I change my socks. This is another reason why I could see them easily bolting the NCHC (despite being a key founding member) if the BIG came calling. 

19 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

I have no idea why I still pay attention to Chris Dilks as he clearly hates UND and cannot give an unbiased report, but here is his conference realignment attempt:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/4/20/11318170/college-hockey-realignment-big-ten-nchc-wcha-north-dakota

Even as a blogger, I have a hard time taking someone seriously who needs to resort to cursing to get across his anger.  Maybe part of his anger is because of Schlossman's credibility compared to his.  

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

I have no idea why I still pay attention to Chris Dilks as he clearly hates UND and cannot give an unbiased report, but here is his conference realignment attempt:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/4/20/11318170/college-hockey-realignment-big-ten-nchc-wcha-north-dakota

Saint Cloud might get pretty mad that they no longer have a conference under this scenario...

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I learned about Dilks from reading that:

- he hates UND (he plainly admits motive)

- he didn't proof his own work (where's SCSU)

- he's not a pro (as pros don't use profanity) 

As I've said before, the only way UND in the Big Ten would be acceptable to me is if UND had it in writing that UND games would always be two-game Fri/Sat night series unless UND signed off on something else for a specific weekend. 

Honestly, I enjoy the rivalries we are building with UMD, UNO, Denver, SCSU etc. too much to give that up for playing UMN and WI. The NCHC feels like it gets our team battle tested for the NCAAs. We've made 3 frozen fours and won a national championship since starting the rigorous NCHC grind.  I'm not saying it's the only reason for our success but I think it definitely helps! 

• Upvote 3

To me it sounds like someone can't stand the amount of success the NCHC has had compared to the Big 10. Remove UND from the NCHC and it'll fall apart? Nah, not even close. Unlike a certain conference, the NCHC actually placed more than one team in the tournament...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

I don't disagree with anyone's opinion of Dilks, but I do share the same consternation he has over the fact that college hockey was, indeed, "blown up" for minimal TV revenue in a niche sport.

But he doesn't address that issue as he leaves the B1G alone.  The only schools he wants to make sacrifices for the "betterment of college hockey" are UND and Denver.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

But he doesn't address that issue as he leaves the B1G alone.  The only schools he wants to make sacrifices for the "betterment of college hockey" are UND and Denver.

I agree. Like I said, I don't disagree with anyone's opinion of Dilks. It certainly started with the Big 10, and Denver, UND, and Notre Dame kept the ball rolling. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I learned about Dilks from reading that:

- he hates UND (he plainly admits motive)

- he didn't proof his own work (where's SCSU)

- he's not a pro (as pros don't use profanity) 

As I've said before, the only way UND in the Big Ten would be acceptable to me is if UND had it in writing that UND games would always be two-game Fri/Sat night series unless UND signed off on something else for a specific weekend. 

I'm not sure he necessarily hates UND or its hockey team.  Now, I'm pretty sure he isn't real fond of us, the fans.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Best line of the article!! :D

"Yes, North Dakota is not really a Big Ten university. That's fine. The Big Ten isn't really a hockey conference."

I thought that was funny too.

4 hours ago, Feff said:

To me it sounds like someone can't stand the amount of success the NCHC has had compared to the Big 10. Remove UND from the NCHC and it'll fall apart? Nah, not even close. Unlike a certain conference, the NCHC actually placed more than one team in the tournament...

IMO, NCHC had 3 best teams in the country St Cloud, Denver, UND

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1