SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Like I figured, nobody on the pro-Big Ten bandwagon can make any case without mentioning BTN. A TV network is only as good as the product it offers and Big Ten hockey is a joke.

I'm pro NCHC, but I'm afraid that if we got an offer, which we won't, UMD, ONO, or Denver would be bolting, and the NCHC would not be what it is today.  If the Big Ten wanted to add an affiliate or two, and we declined, we would be left with a watered down NCHC.  That's the biggest reason to accept.

For example, would we want to be in a conference that consisted of CC, UNO, SCSU, Mankato, Bowling Green, WMU, and Miami, while we watch UMD and or Denver play in the Big Ten without us?  I don't think I would.

Firstly, I'd see the B1G subsidizing a couple of their own members to add the sport before humbling themselves and admitting that UND could help out their conference. So I really don't see this (UND as B1G Hockey affiliate) scenario coming to reality. 

Then again, the B1G never had affiliate members before they added lacrosse as a sport and added Johns Hopkins as an affiliate (to add lax cred, and because JHU has a lot of influence in Washington DC). 

Given that, and before I answer, what else could UND leverage out of the deal? If UND could negotiate anything, I'd say it would have to be a scheduling guarantee: UND home games always on Friday and Saturday nights. After that it would be a continued regional media deal for games not picked up by BTN. 

Otherwise, if the B1G comes calling, unless you're Notre Dame, you answer. 

• Upvote 1

Firstly, and far, far most importantly, the offer will NEVER be made.

Secondly, just because the Big 10 is crap right now, doesn't mean it always will be.

Thirdly, currently the Big 10 has a team at number 4 in the pairwise - the WCHA doesn't have any in the top 16.

Lastly, if the offer that will NEVER be made were to occur, ANY UND president would accept without the slightest hesitation.

51 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Funny this was brought up.  Two months ago or so L. Nanne mentioned the same thing on KFAN.  He noted that he had heard that teams like UND and Duluth would have the option.  Nanne is in the know.

That's not what he said though. He said that he's told the big ten they should go after und and umd. That's far from them considering it in any way.

Wow. Talk about some #butthurt. When the Big Tenlevene Six hockey conference was announced everyone freaked out that it would destroy college hockey. Did it? No. 

But we are in a bit of a perfect storm that Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State all happen to be at low spots in their programs' histories. To think that these first two+ years will forever define the Big 6 in college hockey is just naive. I understand that UND walked into Philly and took the national trophy home to the NCHC and no Big 10 teams were there. But to think that the Bi6 is forever irrelevant in college hockey is nothing but wishful thinking.

But come on. We saw a knee jerk reaction called the "National" that was supposed to include BC, BU and Notre Dame. Instead we ended up with nationally recognized schools called St Cloud State, Nebraska (not the big red in Lincoln) Omaha, and D3 Colorado College (not to be confused with CU) in our conference. 

If by the slightest of chances a UND president was ever offered a Big 10 affiliation in hockey, curling, debate team, Monopoly, bake sales, whatever , it would be stupid as &#@+8 not to take it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Wow. Talk about some #butthurt. When the Big Tenlevene Six hockey conference was announced everyone freaked out that it would destroy college hockey. Did it? No. 

But we are in a bit of a perfect storm that Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State all happen to be at low spots in their programs' histories. To think that these first two+ years will forever define the Big 6 in college hockey is just naive. I understand that UND and Omaha walked into Philly and took the national trophy home to the NCHC and no Big 10 teams were there. But to think that the Bi6 is forever irrelevant in college hockey is nothing but wishful thinking.

But come on. We saw a knee jerk reaction called the "National" that was supposed to include BC, BU and Notre Dame. Instead we ended up with nationally recognized schools called St Cloud State, Nebraska (not the big red in Lincoln) Omaha, and D3 Colorado College (not to be confused with CU) in our conference. 

If by the slightest of chances a UND president was ever offered a Big 10 affiliation in hockey, curling, debate team, Monopoly, bake sales, whatever , it would be stupid as &#@+8 not to take it. 

While I agree with you that going to the BTHC is a no brainer, if offered .....the rest is just hockey hate.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Sorry,  but as much as I would enjoy watching us play the Goofs and Wisco every year ... is this even a question? There is ZERO benfit to UND joining Big Ten hockey. Not unless it involved a move to the Big 10 in every other sport. and even then I would say NO!!! The old WCHA was great, but so is the new NCHC. Big 10 or the Little 6 is a joke, and was a huge mistake. Joining that bad of a conference would only be a worse mistake.

10 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

If its just an offer for hockey the the answer should be a resounding... NAY NAY A THOUSAND TIMES NAY! BIgten hockey is absolutely pitiful, and the UND could only lose by joining such a pathetic hockey leauge. If however the offer was for full membership into the Big10 then UND should at least entertain the offer but it still probably wouldn't be in best interests of UND athletics.

.........you guys for real?

I am at a loss for words.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

.........you guys for real?

I am at a loss for words.

I wouldn't really say no with other sports being involved. More so, just making a point of how terrible their hockey conference is. And while I know Hockey is not the big money making sport like football or basketball, it is certainly a big factor up at UND.

28 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

And would I rather see Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State coming into the Ralph every year over Duluth, St Clown, Miami, Western Michigan, Omaha and Colorado College?!? Hell yes I would!!! 

The only team I'd miss is Denver. And quite frankly, since Gwoz left that rivalry hasn't been half of what it used to be. And considering the college hockey landscape and how we have to fill their rink for them every year, I'm guessing that we'd still play each other every year.

this

1 hour ago, bale31 said:

That's not what he said though. He said that he's told the big ten they should go after und and umd. That's far from them considering it in any way.

Oh ok, I actually turned it on right when they were talking about it so I wasn't 100% clear on how the conversation started.  He kept focusing on UND and UMD. 

11 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

So we would shitcan 80 years of tradition and rivalry and fan passion for money? So we could play on Thursdays and Sunday afternoons? So we would have our games televised on BTN only after B1G football is over? And then only 1 night of series WHEN they decide to show us. So we can play second fiddle to all the rest of the crappy B1G schools? Are you fricken nuts?

This  ^^^^^^^^^^ 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, dakota said:

this

51 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

And would I rather see Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State coming into the Ralph every year over Duluth, St Clown, Miami, Western Michigan, Omaha and Colorado College?!? Hell yes I would!!! 

The only team I'd miss is Denver. And quite frankly, since Gwoz left that rivalry hasn't been half of what it used to be. And considering the college hockey landscape and how we have to fill their rink for them every year, I'm guessing that we'd still play each other every year.

Yeah, I am not interested in UND playing OSU and MSU four times a year.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Considering that half of NDSU's rube base thinks they should be considered for full Big 12 membership, I wouldn't go there.

A.) I don't think thats true.

B.)  What does that have to do with me? 

1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

You trying to convince everyone how great it would be, reminds me of how all the constituents were told how great the Big Ten would be for their hockey programs.  We have been shown that unlike the NCHC where hockey is the king for most of the institutions, the Big Ten treats hockey like a red-headed stepchild.  Maybe we should see if we can hire Barry Alvarez as our Athletic Director too!

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G is or has had talks with UND about being a hockey affiliate in the B1G. UND isn't dumb and would have asked would they get dropped from the B1G if enough member institutions added hockey in the future. Who are the B1G looking at to boost the competitiveness and profile of the conference in hockey. And would UND get equal say in decisions on the hockey side of the B1G as full member institutions do, like Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin...

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A) Someone from Fargo wrote into Sports Illustrated complaining that Alabama was on the front cover after winning the FBS title, suggesting that the Bison should have been on there instead. That is why I think it's true.

B) You stuck your head into this discussion, nobody forced you to comment.

What does any of that have to do with me being at a loss for words? The idea of NDSU in the Big 12 is pretty outlandish as well.