SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

if a coach is relying on players to make themselves better...i say that coach is in the wrong profession. I hope you are joking. Please tell me you are joking. 

No one said that.

Having great players makes a coaches jobs easier than having crappy players.

Were you shocked by that statement?

Let me help you out and spell it out for you.... If you have a great player; they are easier to coach than a crappy player, who doesn't have much skill both athletically and intelligently.

Edited by Cratter

No one said that.

Having great players makes a coaches jobs easier than having crappy players.

Were you shocked by that statement?

nothing on this board shocks me. But if u access a dictionary, the word coach is an action verb. Good players become great with coaching. Not many athletes fall out of bed with the label of great. Even pros need good coaching.

nothing on this board shocks me. But if u access a dictionary, the word coach is an action verb. Good players become great with coaching. Not many athletes fall out of bed with the label of great. Even pros need good coaching.

My dictionary says a coach is a noun.

My dictionary says a coach is someone who gets team to gel and win playoff games not make any one player great.

My dictionary says also says they have to recruit the best players.

My dictionary also says you says its easier to recruit the best players if you have a scholarship available to give them.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

I think the point Cratter was trying to make is that almost any coach looks real good when you have Tom Brady on your team, or the old Peyton Manning, or John Santiago for that matter.   I don't think he was implying that the coaches don't need to coach them to continue to try and make them better, but if you recruit some great players/athlete's you'll look like a genius opposed to if you recruited average players (and worked just as hard coaching each group up).   Better players technically don't make you a better coach, but better players give the perception that you are a better coach because you'll win more games, given everything else is equal. 

• Upvote 2

We did it to ourselves and in a very painful manner - and in my opinion coaches share a lot of the blame 

We also won 7 games playing a more difficult schedule than other teams that made the tournament.  In my opinion the coaches get a pat on the back for that.

I think the point Cratter was trying to make is that almost any coach looks real good when you have Tom Brady on your team, or the old Peyton Manning, or John Santiago for that matter.   I don't think he was implying that the coaches don't need to coach them to continue to try and make them better, but if you recruit some great players/athlete's you'll look like a genius opposed to if you recruited average players (and worked just as hard coaching each group up).   Better players technically don't make you a better coach, but better players give the perception that you are a better coach because you'll win more games, given everything else is equal. 

I also have seen talented teams (the San Diego Chargers of the mid-2000's for example) underachieve and fall far short of expectations.

I also have seen talented teams (the San Diego Chargers of the mid-2000's for example) underachieve and fall far short of expectations.

Oh I agree with you there!  You can have great players, but if you don't have good coaching you are definitely going to fall short.  But if you have great players, it makes it easier....or you have a better chance of looking like a great coach.  In my opinion football is the sport where coaching makes the most difference, but it matters in all sports.  Amazing that the first year under Schmidt that basically the same players went from one of the worst defenses to one of the best. 

• Upvote 1

One thing to consider when thinking about Bowling Green next year and the potent offense - with all the openings around the country it's not too far fetched that Dino Babers may not be at BG next year and depending on the replacement their offense may not be as high octane.

Edited by Hambone

Gundy, I think it is a cultural difference.  Do you want a culture of one where if you come into the program, bust your butt for us and if we don't have the ability to develop your talent or maybe you aren't good enough to crack the starting lineup we dump you?  If a player is clearly not going to be able to play they need to sit down with the player and review how they see things and outline what the player needs to do to get on the field.  If the player can't do that, then many of them will transfer out and hopefully appreciate the opportunity.  This staff kept both of these QB's knowing they had made the decsion  that Keaton was their guy last December.  They did that cuz they didn't want to take a chance on Keaton not being able to handle the job, the fact they didnt' know if Joe would be healed and the fact that both Ryan and Joe had played well at times.  Those 2 seniors were loyal to the program and deserve to be part of this. You can  also have a  culture where  if we aren't going to need you we cut you.  Those programs don't tend to have the same culture and loyalty to the program in the long run, but teams can win either way.  If they cut either of these guys after they stayed loyal to the program, that would tell me something about the integrity and class or lack therof of our staff. If they cut either one of these guys, then Bubba needs to stop the family and love rhetoric and simply coach and keep building things as he sees fit.  I dont't give a rats butt if they were Mussman recruits, they are UND recruits, not Mussman recruits.  It is too bad that one of these guys never got a chance to play again yet has been blasted time and again on this blog.  All he ever did was choose UND and do as he was asked in a time when we didn't  have a running game, or oline.  Got hurt for us , rehabbed then came back supportive of his teammates and coaches, and you are actually considering we would cut him? Sorry but until now that hasn't been UND FB.

Agree with that.  Loyalty works both ways, and keeping kids that have worked hard, done everything asked of them, and otherwise have good character will build a stronger program and better culture in the long run, even if it costs us a scholarship or two in the short term.

• Upvote 4

Gundy, I think it is a cultural difference.  Do you want a culture of one where if you come into the program, bust your butt for us and if we don't have the ability to develop your talent or maybe you aren't good enough to crack the starting lineup we dump you?  If a player is clearly not going to be able to play they need to sit down with the player and review how they see things and outline what the player needs to do to get on the field.  If the player can't do that, then many of them will transfer out and hopefully appreciate the opportunity.  This staff kept both of these QB's knowing they had made the decsion  that Keaton was their guy last December.  They did that cuz they didn't want to take a chance on Keaton not being able to handle the job, the fact they didnt' know if Joe would be healed and the fact that both Ryan and Joe had played well at times.  Those 2 seniors were loyal to the program and deserve to be part of this. You can  also have a  culture where  if we aren't going to need you we cut you.  Those programs don't tend to have the same culture and loyalty to the program in the long run, but teams can win either way.  If they cut either of these guys after they stayed loyal to the program, that would tell me something about the integrity and class or lack therof of our staff. If they cut either one of these guys, then Bubba needs to stop the family and love rhetoric and simply coach and keep building things as he sees fit.  I dont't give a rats butt if they were Mussman recruits, they are UND recruits, not Mussman recruits.  It is too bad that one of these guys never got a chance to play again yet has been blasted time and again on this blog.  All he ever did was choose UND and do as he was asked in a time when we didn't  have a running game, or oline.  Got hurt for us , rehabbed then came back supportive of his teammates and coaches, and you are actually considering we would cut him? Sorry but until now that hasn't been UND FB.

As always, you provide great perspective.  I get greedy and want things both ways sometimes.  I will support the team however it plays out.

• Upvote 2

Also, co-freshmen of year goes to John "So long" Santiago!     Amazing that Will Rattelle had more solo tackles (63) than the Big Sky Defensive Player of the year Cowser of SUU had total tackles (62).  Area 51, you will be greatly missed!

I really hope Rattelle gets a shot to play pro (likely CFL).

UND FB fans: The extra two or three weeks spent trying to find the right football coach doesn't seem like such a big deal now, does it?

Can you imagine the outrage if the UND hockey team was left without a coach for 5 weeks and the athletic department didn't talk to them?!?  For starters, nearly every player would have left.  Someone else pointed out it likely cost us Golladay, Palandech, and Edwards.  Could've used Golladay the last 2 years I think.  Can you imagine the DL with Edwards in the middle?!

Edited by UNDBIZ

My thoughts on Next Year:

-How will Rich bounce-back after injury? How will Arnell?

-How will UND replace 3 all-Big Sky o-lineman? 

-Does Brad end up the backup QB over Ryan and Joe?

-Who replaces the production of Ratelle?

Concern Spots:

1) OL: replacing Center and both guards

2) S: Building talent and depth behind Reyes and Arnell

3) CB: Development of Harris, T. Carter, JIS, C. Carter.  How will Holm fit into the picture

4) ILB: Will Rich be ready?  Who will fill Ratelle shoes?  Will Baker step into the picture?

5) WR: Need more explosive talent, is Dulin ready to step into the picture? Will the kid from Red Wing play right away?  Can Clive stay healthy?

Way too early breakout seasons

Keaton- He puts it all together next year and we will win a game or two with his arm. 

T.Carter- Will be nasty in both pass and rush protection

Way-too early range of records

7-10 wins overall

5-7 wins in Big Sky

2016 will be the year UND Football.... is back

i know exactly the point he was trying to make. Everyone would love to have Michael Jordan or Kobe in his prime or Tom Brady. I have more admiration for coaches that are willing to take a marginal player and make them better. To Cratter's point, thats why some college coaches on want stacked rosters like Nick Saban or Urban Meyer. 

Not downplaying Ratelles departure, but is there a chance the defense improves next year?

1. D line improves with age

2. Secondary improves with age, Arnell's return

3. Backers get Rich back, everyone should get better as a group

Not to mention this recruiting class should go straight to Redshirting and depth

?