SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

My belief is that - if the player is living up to his part of the deal (grades, behavior, practice habits) - then his/her scholarship should be honored for 4 years.  It's not the kid's fault if the staff made a mistake on the player's potential (or if he/she got beaten out by a better player).

Your belief has an educational mind set.  I think myself and others have a business mindset in that performance matters.  Scholarships are a tool to increase talent and performance on the field.  The coaching staff is judged off of the team's performance.  I don't know what's going to happen, but my understanding is Keaton is 1, Hiedlbaugh is 2, and it would be nice to have 1 senior QB around to mentor and be ready for action, but I don't see burning a full ride on it.  And, I don't see a 4th QB, senior, in this scenario making sense with a full ride.

I didn't mean to start a tizzy, and I am not heartless......as I actually have a lot of interest and share some commonalities with the better of the 2 Senior QBs.  The one that has mechanics and a rifle for an arm, who was shooting darts against Montana last year before he was hurt.  But, it's obvious the staff and him are not on the same page, so own it and do what's best for the team.

We can have different opinions on this site, right?   If nobody was on scholarship, or if everyone had a full, keep them both.  But, that's not the reality.

Your belief has an educational mind set.  I think myself and others have a business mindset in that performance matters.  Scholarships are a tool to increase talent and performance on the field.  The coaching staff is judged off of the team's performance.  I don't know what's going to happen, but my understanding is Keaton is 1, Hiedlbaugh is 2, and it would be nice to have 1 senior QB around to mentor and be ready for action, but I don't see burning a full ride on it.  And, I don't see a 4th QB, senior, in this scenario making sense with a full ride.

I didn't mean to start a tizzy, and I am not heartless......as I actually have a lot of interest and share some commonalities with the better of the 2 Senior QBs.  The one that has mechanics and a rifle for an arm, who was shooting darts against Montana last year before he was hurt.  But, it's obvious the staff and him are not on the same page, so own it and do what's best for the team.

We can have different opinions on this site, right?   If nobody was on scholarship, or if everyone had a full, keep them both.  But, that's not the reality.

For sure we can have different opinions and discuss them in a friendly way!  

You're right that my belief has an educational mindset.  I'm not a fan of the business mindset seeping into the educational system.  You certainly aren't heartless for approaching this problem this way, nor am I a patsy... both approaches have their merit.  

The next beer is on me at the tailgate.

For sure we can have different opinions and discuss them in a friendly way!  

You're right that my belief has an educational mindset.  I'm not a fan of the business mindset seeping into the educational system.  You certainly aren't heartless for approaching this problem this way, nor am I a patsy... both approaches have their merit.  

The next beer is on me at the tailgate.

For sure on the beer!!

I think it will be interesting how this staff approaches some roster decisions.  We definitely have an interesting situation at QB.  As consultants you manage player relations and I'll handle the salary cap.........and we'll see how Bubba manages both.

Edited by gundy1124

players need to play better and coaches need to coach better to win the Big Sky. Its not just about spreading scholarhips.

Only thing you left out is:

"Coaches need to get better players.".......

And that is also one of the keys to winning a National Championship.

My sights are way above a Big Sky Championship...That's way to easy to win.

Actually the more I think about it winning a Big Sky Championship might be harder to win than a Natty.

Edited by Cratter

Only thing you left out is:

"Coaches need to get better players.".......

And that is also one of the keys to winning a National Championship.

My sights are way above a Big Sky Championship...That's way to easy to win.

Actually the more I think about it winning a Big Sky Championship might be harder to win than a Natty.

Good coaching creates better players.  And yes, winning Big Sky is a tall task. You win that, winning a Natty will be easier.

100% agree.  Word gets around in recruiting when coaches pull scholarships from guys like Mollberg and Bartels.  UND made a commitment to those two and they have been good teammates, students and citizens from everything I have heard.  They also have both been starters within the last 1.5 seasons.  I would be very surprised if Bubba did that.

or, you could look at it as football roster tenure, creating an atmosphere of complacency.  I never said it is easy, I never said these guys were bad teammates or students, what I am saying is I would like a shot at the next Ratelle or Reyes by having money available.  I am not trying to offend anyone, this goes for any player on the roster not holding up their end of the deal, and part of that deal is being on the field.  If Ja'won Arrinton was a junior I suppose some here would want him to stay another year on a full ride..........not me.

• Upvote 1