SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

Sorry to resurrect this discussion, but I was on vacation last week without decent internet access. This is not regarding any particular player, but my question is--should the mere fact that a player redshirts mean that he should automatically get the fifth year on scholarship? I don't pretend to know the "right" answer, but I do struggle with whether it's entirely fair to give a player who never pans out a fifth year on scholarship, when so many players now don't redshirt, either out of necessity or because they're just too good, and therefore only get four years. To me, the more fair way to do things would be to essentially guarantee four years, so long as certain expectations are met in terms of working hard, staying out of trouble and taking care of business in the classroom. The fifth year would be decided on more of a case-by-case basis, which would be explained up front when the decision as to whether to redshirt or not is made. For all I know, this is done already.

EDIT: I don't know what happened with the above post I attempted to quote, but I couldn't seem to get it fixed using the edit function.

I'm not sure if it is mandatory by the NCAA or if some schools choose to do it or not, but I know that players that do not redshirt and play their first 4 years, are still awarded a scholarship the fifth year.  Some schools have them student coach, or help in other ways.

Stoney's defense, correct me if I'm wrong, led the nation in yards ( 250 ish yds/game).  So its legit.   It might take a qtr or so to get the offense going for und, I'm thinking a 27-7 victory. 

Bowling green is a bad matchup for und.   They return two tall 6'3"/6'2"and fast receivers.  Both were parade all Americans.   The sen qb to start, started the yr before and threw for over 3000.  The sen rb is much better then their starter now and I think they lose only one lineman.  They also bring back 2 studs linebackers on d.  Playing ohio st the week before playing und, might make for a letdown on their behalf ?? Bowling 47-24

USD with coaching changes is something to watch.  They bring back  some talent.  It's Unds first home game and the o line will be starting to sync.   Und 34-24

Stoney's defense, correct me if I'm wrong, led the nation in yards ( 250 ish yds/game).  So its legit.   It might take a qtr or so to get the offense going for und, I'm thinking a 27-7 victory. 

Bowling green is a bad matchup for und.   They return two tall 6'3"/6'2"and fast receivers.  Both were parade all Americans.   The sen qb to start, started the yr before and threw for over 3000.  The sen rb is much better then their starter now and I think they lose only one lineman.  They also bring back 2 studs linebackers on d.  Playing ohio st the week before playing und, might make for a letdown on their behalf ?? Bowling 47-24

USD with coaching changes is something to watch.  They bring back  some talent.  It's Unds first home game and the o line will be starting to sync.   Und 34-24

I agree, we will have trouble matching up with a high octane pass game, and while Reyes is good, and Arnell should be back, we are still really young at corner. Hopefully there will be quite a bit of offseason development, and I would also hope the coaches are looking at any potential FBS dropdowns for talent, speed and depth. Our DL will continue to improve too, so this will be a game we getting quick pressure on the QB is an absolute must.

As for the RB ... I know we don't typically play this caliber of a team, but based on what we saw from our guys this year, I feel pretty confident that we can protect the run. Though Ratelle will be sorely missed.

Ratelle will definitely be missed but remember Rich is a heckuva player and we seem to have some pretty good depth there. I am more interested in how the secondary progresses.

Side note- Since Arnell did not take a standard redshirt and played in 30% or less games this season, Is he eligible for e medical redshirt?

I expect UND to start the season 3-0, although a loss at Bowling Green and starting 2-1 wouldn't hurt the Big Sky Conference championship aspirations that the 2016 squad should have. Let's remember, Bowling Green is in the MAC, not the Big 10 or PAC 12; I expect UND to at least play them close if not win. 

• Upvote 1

I expect UND to start the season 3-0, although a loss at Bowling Green and starting 2-1 wouldn't hurt the Big Sky Conference champion aspirations that the 2016 squad should have. Let's remember, Bowling Green is in the MAC, not the Big 10 or PAC 12; I expect UND to at least play them close if not win. 

I love the confidence, but lets not discount that this may be a game we want to lose. The FCS made it very clear how important quality losses are. :)

As for their conference, I agree this isn't like playing a big ten team, but they did beat two big ten teams this past season. I agree though, if UND wants to keep elevating themselves to be a FCS power, then they need to be able to win, or at least compete with teams like this. If Portland St can beat Washington St, then why can't UND beat BGSU.

I just love that football hype seems to be growing, hopefully it transpires into more fans at the Alerus next season.

• Upvote 3

I love the confidence, but lets not discount that this may be a game we want to lose. The FCS made it very clear how important quality losses are. :)

As for their conference, I agree this isn't like playing a big ten team, but they did beat two big ten teams this past season. I agree though, if UND wants to keep elevating themselves to be a FCS power, then they need to be able to win, or at least compete with teams like this. If Portland St can beat Washington St, then why can't UND beat BGSU.

I just love that football hype seems to be growing, hopefully it transpires into more fans at the Alerus next season.

My train of thought is simple: UND is coming off a 7-4 season (3-game winning streak) with most of that team returning (save for the interior offensive line and Will Ratelle, he will be missed); UND should expect to win every game they play in because of who UND has returning and, also, the relatively average level of competition on the schedule. Lastly, UND should be confident and play to win the Big Sky Conference in 2016 and every season after that; fortunately, that is the mindset that Bubba has begun to establish for UND football. 

My train of thought is simple: UND is coming off a 7-4 season (3-game winning streak) with most of that team returning (save for the interior offensive line and Will Ratelle, he will be missed); UND should expect to win every game they play in because of who UND has returning and, also, the relatively average level of competition on the schedule. Lastly, UND should be confident and play to win the Big Sky Conference in 2016 and every season after that; fortunately, that is the mindset that Bubba has begun to establish for UND football. 

Makes sense to me. I do think that some of the toughest teams we will see next year, are home games, which should definitely help.

Home Games

• South Dakota
  • Cal Poly - Our run shut the door on them this year, lets do it again
  • Southern Utah - Glad this game is at home
  • Weber State - Redemption from blowing our 4th quarter lead
  • Northern Arizona - Another good one to have at home; Their QB is going to be a real stud in this league

Away Games

• Stony Brook - Win it
  • Bowling Green - Would be a much bigger win than Wyoming
  • Montana State - We showed we can beat them, but this will be a very difficult road game
  • Sacramento State - Should win
  • Idaho State - Should win; Major redemption game
  • Northern Colorado - Should win; If this years game was indicative of anything, UND should roll

Ratelle will definitely be missed but remember Rich is a heckuva player and we seem to have some pretty good depth there. I am more interested in how the secondary progresses.

Side note- Since Arnell did not take a standard redshirt and played in 30% or less games this season, Is he eligible for e medical redshirt?

Sure hope so, because he was looking pretty good. Would be nice to have that much stability at the safety position for 2 more years. Unfortunately, I have no idea how that works. Might be something to ask Miller or Schloss during their weekly online chats.

Makes sense to me. I do think that some of the toughest teams we will see next year, are home games, which should definitely help.

Home Games

• South Dakota
  • Northern Arizona - Another good one to have at home; Their QB is going to be a real stud in this league

Away Games

• Stony Brook - Win it
  • Montana State - We showed we can beat them, but this will be a very difficult road game
  • Northern Colorado - Should win; If this years game was indicative of anything, UND should roll

I know this is troll bait but this looks like an 8-3 season at worst - let's see the committee leave us out then. 

Couple random things:

I'd heard Arnell had discussed a medical redshirt - not sure the likelihood but seems like he'd have a good shot.

Bowling Green could be a different team.  Even though he's denying it (and the UCF job, where he was heavily rumored, went to Scott Frost), Dino Babers could very well end up elsewhere.  It could depend on who they hire to see if they are still the same high octane offense.

Looking forward to next year :)

Home Games

• South Dakota

Away Games

• Stony Brook - Win it

That's a nice home schedule.  A familiar South Dakota team that is improved will definitely be a test.   Und wins. Cal poly is always tough but play perfectly into Unds mojo.  Und big.  After this weekend and seeing S Utah, I wasn't that impressed.   Think und wins big on that one also.  Weber st returns some really good talent and got better as the year went on, they could be very much improved.  Und wins but not by much.  Northern Arizona will be very dangerous.  We need to bring a lot of noise for that one. Toss up but going with und. 

Of the away games, other  then bowling green, montana st is the only possible loss that I see.   

If we can upset bowling green,  I would like to think that would perk interest and the attendance would increase. Keep the fingers crossed.  I looks like Unds home schedule is tougher then the away games.  I'm going 9-2 for the year.  

Someone mentioned earlier about Unds bye week. It's after the last regular season game!?!  If und was able to position themselves into a seed, that means 2 weeks off!  20 days into between games???? I don't like it.  Now if they made the playoffs without a seed, that works out great with a bye week to get healthy.  Very weird bye week schedule regardless 

Anything less then 8-3 next season will be a disappointment. 

8-3? Wow this is great. I like seeing talk like this so quick after .500 was the bar now Bubba has risen that bar. I hope we can get a conference title that way there will be no doubt we will be playoff bound.

8-3? Wow this is great. I like seeing talk like this so quick after .500 was the bar now Bubba has risen that bar. I hope we can get a conference title that way there will be no doubt we will be playoff bound.

I wouldn't have dared to imagine thinking about going 9-2 next year. Makes for a more enjoyable discussion. Sure helps to be optimistic about another sport while we struggle with bb and volleyball.