SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

UND's week 1 opponent, Stony Brook University, recently added an FBS transfer offensive lineman from the University of Maryland: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/maryland-terps/former-maryland-ol-transfers-fcs-school-can-play-immediately

That week 1 battle will be a physical one. Great test to see just how physical the Hawks are going to be in 2016. It all starts up front with UND's tremendous d-line depth.

Go UND!

• Upvote 1

Summer workouts begin today! Do we know which incoming Freshman are in Grand Forks and participating?

Having this kids on campus is critical to getting them acclimated to the team and the college life quickly. It also gets them working out and sizing up the way they should be. Important for everyone, but especially for those with a chance to play this fall.

92 Days!

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Summer workouts begin today! Do we know which incoming Freshman are in Grand Forks and participating?

Having this kids on campus is critical to getting them acclimated to the team and the college life quickly. It also gets them working out and sizing up the way they should be. Important for everyone, but especially for those with a chance to play this fall.

92 Days!

Need to see an improvement on numbers in town during the summer.  It has to be the expectation. This is DII anymore and was really an area the past staff was below expectation.  

9 minutes ago, homer said:

Need to see an improvement on numbers in town during the summer.  It has to be the expectation. This is DII anymore and was really an area the past staff was below expectation.  

It has improved since those days, no question.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND's week 1 opponent, Stony Brook University, recently added an FBS transfer offensive lineman from the University of Maryland: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/maryland-terps/former-maryland-ol-transfers-fcs-school-can-play-immediately

That week 1 battle will be a physical one. Great test to see just how physical the Hawks are going to be in 2016. It all starts up front with UND's tremendous d-line depth.

Go UND!

Booked airline tix last night to NY for the Stony Brook game.  Excited for the year to start.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Go UND!

I'm excited and nervous for this game.  It's at their place, first game of the year, the o lines first game together and the wr crew.   The one thing that is almost guaranteed IMO, is that the d will have little issues with their offense.  Our d line will be a huge advantage for us in this game, for both pressuring the qb and stopping the run.  

This will not be a high scoring game as neither team is built that way, both are defensive minded teams and ground and pound. A couple of crucial mistakes by und could be very critical. With both teams style of play and keeping the score close, them having home field advantage, any type of error is magnified. 

However, if und wants to take the next step on being a national competitive team, I feel they must dominate them, not so much necessarily in score but in the trenches and play. Und could (should) be able to so.  

It would be absoulutely devastating if und loses this one.  Start 0-1 would be detrimental to both the psyches of the players and fans alike, not to mention the possible playoff implications that it could potentially have.  I would be very dissapointed if they come back home with a loss!  This is an "expected" win and und should oblige

If Grady is back I love our chances to be dominant on both sides of the ball!   

Count down to Bubbal ball!!

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm excited and nervous for this game.  It's at their place, first game of the year, the o lines first game together and the wr crew.   The one thing that is almost guaranteed IMO, is that the d will have little issues with their offense.  Our d line will be a huge advantage for us in this game, for both pressuring the qb and stopping the run.  

This will not be a high scoring game as neither team is built that way, both are defensive minded teams and ground and pound. A couple of crucial mistakes by und could be very critical. With both teams style of play and keeping the score close, them having home field advantage, any type of error is magnified. 

However, if und wants to take the next step on being a national competitive team, I feel they must dominate them, not so much necessarily in score but in the trenches and play. Und could (should) be able to so.  

It would be absoulutely devastating if und loses this one.  Start 0-1 would be detrimental to both the psyches of the players and fans alike, not to mention the possible playoff implications that it could potentially have.  I would be very dissapointed if they come back home with a loss!  This is an "expected" win and und should obligate.

If Grady is back I love our chances to be dominant on both sides of the ball!   

Count down to Bubbal ball!!

I agree that this is somewhat of a must-win game. Should UND lose, our schedule would certainly allow us to still make a run and make the playoffs. But in terms of the direction of the program and winning the games we should, it is a must win. (Hate the NDSU example, but this isn't a game they would lose, and we all know it).

I am a little nervous after seeing how we started last season (yes, we played well and beat Wyoming, though they were terrible), but then we struggled against Drake (way too many errors). I see it as,  we had a really young team, that will only be more mature this year. I think the confidence will be there and we will play with a chip on our should after missing the playoffs.

Our D should be able to handle their offense. The question will be how does our offense play. SB has a decent defense, BUT we have Santiago who is a total game changer. I don't think Grady will necessarily be the difference (I think we can certainly win without Grady) but I agree having him to block for Santiago is a huge asset. I think we all know the run game will be there, and we will pound the rock with rotations of Santiago, Oliveira, Neverman, etc. The big question mark will be how can we mix it up through the air. It doesn't have to be a ton, but we need to connect on some passes so their D is forced to spread out a bit.

Seriously can't wait for football to start.

• Upvote 2

Summer attendance is all but mandatory, even for the incoming freshmen.  The days of voluntary summer workouts are over.

I'm worried that many people on our forum seem to be counting on Grady's return to be the immediate missing ingredient between a good and great season for UND.  It's true that Grady has many of the tools necessary to be our best offensive lineman (and a potential next level player), but I think tempering the enthusiasm a bit on his return is a smart thing to do, especially in the short term.  In many ways Elijah's debut last year was perfect timing... he began playing midseason with an experienced and talented unit around him.  This year the OL is inexperienced and will take time to gel.  For the OL working together as a unit trumps individual talent and it will take a while for this group to be hitting on all cylinders.  I expect Grady to be a great player and make a big difference, but I worry that we are setting ourselves up for a fall in the first few games if we think Grady's return is the only missing ingredient. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Has it?

I seem to remember around 60 guys staying back for summer workouts back in the 'olden days'. ???

That's great if numbers have surpassed that.

I was moreso referencing the difficult Mussman years that initially sparked the "low summer workout attendance" debates. Before that, from what I understand, Lennon did a tremendous job with the summer turnout. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozzie82 said:

Summer attendance is all but mandatory, even for the incoming freshmen.  The days of voluntary summer workouts are over.

I'm worried that many people on our forum seem to be counting on Grady's return to be the immediate missing ingredient between a good and great season for UND.  It's true that Grady has many of the tools necessary to be our best offensive lineman (and a potential next level player), but I think tempering the enthusiasm a bit on his return is a smart thing to do, especially in the short term.  In many ways Elijah's debut last year was perfect timing... he began playing midseason with an experienced and talented unit around him.  This year the OL is inexperienced and will take time to gel.  For the OL working together as a unit trumps individual talent and it will take a while for this group to be hitting on all cylinders.  I expect Grady to be a great player and make a big difference, but I worry that we are setting ourselves up for a fall in the first few games if we think Grady's return is the only missing ingredient. 

Agreed, Grady will be a huge part of this team and this line (assuming he does in fact come back and play), but this teams success, and the O-Lines success, is dependent on far more than just Grady.

One thing about Grady though .... if you go back to game highlights from last season many of Santiago's long runs were setup by huge blocks from Grady. Would he be a key contributor to get back? Of course! Can this team be highly successful without him? Absolutely! As you mentioned, we need a strong unit that can gel and work together as a whole; but hopefully that unit includes him.

12 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Although UND lost some good ones, Knauf and Rudolph are talking like some of these first-year starters have what it takes to be very good, perhaps even better than 2015's group down the road. Demon Taylor, Matt Cox, Dan Bell, and even Grant Aplin and Patric Rooney all have solid potential. Throw in returner AJ Stockwell and hopefully Elijah Grady and I think UND's offensive line has a real good chance in 2016. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

It is that time of year where I start to get antsy for the upcoming season so it is nice to come on here to find a bunch of solid thoughts on the upcoming season. 

Exactly! Need to at least get a little football chat going on, until we start getting more reading material on the team and the upcoming season.