SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The first game (or two) of the season has been a night game (5 pm or 6 pm) for some time now, even going back to last year's Potato Bowl vs Drake at 5 pm or the two non-conference games in 2014 which both kicked off at 6 pm. 

UND's best 2016 opportunity for a night game would be the Potato Bowl vs South Dakota on September 17; well before hockey and plenty of daylight/heat left over for tailgating would make a 6 pm start doable. 

Question what will the ROOT Sports window be? If we hope to have our game on TV... which I'm sure we would and Midcontinent would as well, it will have to fall outside of the ROOT/Big Sky exclusive agreement.  (I'm paraphrasing what I either read somewhere on the forum or was told at a fan luncheon by an athletics staff person- can't remember which-I'm old). Personally, I like 3 or 4pm games because it allows for ample tailgating plus finishing Saturday morning youth activities, and at the same time I can get the family home at a decent hour or we can even stop somewhere for dinner, but because ROOT only shows mountain & pacific zone games it seems (sigh). I would assume my times more often than will fall in their window. Play whenever. 11a, Noon, 1p, 11p...more often than not we will try find a way to be there.

22 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Well, it is the political season, nice spin Bozeman City Kitties!!

Well the Bobcat website is down.  Not sure if this is a coincidence or not.  They lost a good player and now our CB position is solid with depth.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TRex said:

Apparently someone forgot to tell Massey that the Hawks are much improved   Has us ranked fifth in the Sky, and only a 6% chance to beat Bowling Green and has us losing by 25 pts. 

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=10668&s=286577

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5538&s=286577

His system isn't acurrate until mid season.

2 hours ago, TRex said:

Apparently someone forgot to tell Massey that the Hawks are much improved   Has us ranked fifth in the Sky, and only a 6% chance to beat Bowling Green and has us losing by 25 pts. 

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=10668&s=286577

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5538&s=286577

He had us losing to Wyoming last year...I have no faith in his ratings. Anyone can beat anyone. The only rankings I care about is the one at the end of the year that shows us in the playoffs.

It's a funny thing, when you start improving people start to take notice, whether it's for a good reason or for some reason the bad.  There are some that say it was or is fluke while others say this team is a team on the rise and should be reckoned with.  Being noticed brings a combination of positive and negative feedback.  

To be completely honest, from a national perspective und has done very little in football since moving to d1,  so the tampered and confused "experts" have a right to be uncertain.  While us hardcore fans see the improvement the national publications and experts just read stats and stories from the computer and  think they know.  

Personally this year, I would prefer to be under the radar, at the same time being rated entering the season sets an excitement that the not so hardcore fan can jump on.  It also puts a huge bullseye on you jersey.  Stoney brook and South Dakota would absoulutely love to get a non conference win against a rated team.  This is where I question if und is ready for the exposure and expectations.   They are still extremely young and just turned the table on the improvement factor.  

I truly believe,with their schedule that they could go 9-2 this season making the playoffs and hopefully get a playoff win or two.   Being extremely young and inexperienced brings a mixed bag of play. Hoping for consistent play every game!  

If they improve greatly this year and prove they belong, it's next year where I could see und being a top ten team with championship dreams and big expectations.   Bubba ball!! 

Agreed with Darrell, it's the end of the year polls that matter. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Personally this year, I would prefer to be under the radar, at the same time being rated entering the season sets an excitement that the not so hardcore fan can jump on.  It also puts a huge bullseye on you jersey.  Stoney brook and South Dakota would absoulutely love to get a non conference win against a rated team.  This is where I question if und is ready for the exposure and expectations.   They are still extremely young and just turned the table on the improvement factor.  

Initially coming into this year I was somewhat thinking the same thing, that I'd be ok with being a little under the radar to start the year.  However after getting a little bit of recognition in the preseason polls it was nice, and I also think it can help the players get even more excited about the upcoming year not to mention the casual fan.  I think Bubba will do a good job keeping things into perspective to the guys that there still is a lot to prove this year and to still play like the underdog, yet confident underdog.  I'm hoping the playoff snubbing last year keeps a chip on our shoulder all year so that we don't let up and have that consistent play all year long.   #LeaveNoDoubt

On 6/3/2016 at 9:50 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The first game (or two) of the season has been a night game (5 pm or 6 pm) for some time now, even going back to last year's Potato Bowl vs Drake at 5 pm or the two non-conference games in 2014 which both kicked off at 6 pm. 

UND's best 2016 opportunity for a night game would be the Potato Bowl vs South Dakota on September 17; well before hockey and plenty of daylight/heat left over for tailgating would make a 6 pm start doable. 

I guess I am thinking of 2001 and all the Friday and Saturday night games we had in September. Those were awesome.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well if you gave me until midseason to predict the final conference standings, I think I would do alright too. 

What an absolute BS system. No use looking at it.

I believe those statistical deals have been pretty effective.  Impossible to really take it seriously before any of the teams have played a game, no?  

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well if you gave me until midseason to predict the final conference standings, I think I would do alright too. 

What an absolute BS system. No use looking at it.

It's just because it goes purely off of statistics. Ours from last season weren't that bad but they weren't stellar. BG had their best team ever so both stats are very skewed. Like I said before going in to each game I expect a win. It's been a while since that's happened and Masseys computer predictions won't dampen my enthusiasm.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's just because it goes purely off of statistics. Ours from last season weren't that bad but they weren't stellar. BG had their best team ever so both stats are very skewed. Like I said before going in to each game I expect a win. It's been a while since that's happened and Masseys computer predictions won't dampen my enthusiasm.

drops mic.jpeg

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Certainly, but the preseason predictive value is yet essentially null. 

Thankfully, there's a reason they still play the games. 

Go UND!

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Certainly, but the preseason predictive value is yet essentially null. 

Thankfully, there's a reason they still play the games. 

Go UND!

I'm not sure there could ever be an accurate way to predict things before the season with college football. Especially fcs. There are so many variables and so much turnover each season. 

I agree it's pretty hard to know before a game is played, look at the preseason Big Sky picks last year.  We may not even know for sure what our team is until 3 weeks into the season.  If we beat SB in a fairly close game, and lost against BG but not in a blow out I don't think we'll really know for sure what we'll have.  Although we will know how improved our secondary is after the BG game that's for sure.   I'm a little afraid our O line could still be learning those first few games of the year, just like last year....and we might be pretty inconsistent on offense the first few games.   If Grady comes back...that will certainly help that situation. 

On 6/3/2016 at 6:59 PM, siouxfan512 said:

Hoping either stony brook or Bowling Green have webcast options. Would hate to wait until the 3rd game of the season to get to watch.

I assume the USD game will be on fox college sports, similar to the Drake game from last year?

Per the twitter, Bowling Green game will be on espn3.

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Per the twitter, Bowling Green game will be on espn3.

great news! I'm pretty pumped up for that game. Don't want to look past SBU, but definitely excited to play another FBS game.

I really think this team is going to start the season pretty pumped up after the way last season ended. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

great news! I'm pretty pumped up for that game. Don't want to look past SBU, but definitely excited to play another FBS game.

I really think this team is going to start the season pretty pumped up after the way last season ended. 

Now will there be a way to watch the Stony Brook game? Hope so. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Now will there be a way to watch the Stony Brook game? Hope so. 

I hope so too, but radio always works too. Last year I was certainly disappoint that the UND/Montana game was only available on Roots, but I ended up listening on Iheartradio while I did yard work, which was very enjoyable ... except for the final score.

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Looks like a decent flight from Fargo to Toledo, drive to Bowling Green.  Stony Brook......looks like a rougher adventure.  If anyone has insight, please share.

Why not just fly to JFK or LaGuardia?