SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

Just now, homer said:

He didn't have the strongest o line. He likely had the best group of WR at one time at UND. 

These numbers explain it. 

2013 (Mussman's final season) - 891 yards rushing for UND; 15 passing TDs to 19 interceptions

2014 (Bubba's first season) - 1397 rushing yards; 6 passing TDs to 13 interceptions

2015 - 2645 rushing yards; 15 passing TDs to 5 interceptions

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

These numbers explain it. 

2013 (Mussman's final season) - 891 yards rushing for UND; 15 passing TDs to 19 interceptions

2014 (Bubba's first season) - 1397 rushing yards; 6 passing TDs to 13 interceptions

2015 - 2645 rushing yards; 15 passing TDs to 5 interceptions

Got any defensive stats?  namely points allowed. 

9 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Well we saw what Bartels did this past year in a couple of games when he did have a line and a running game....and it wasn't that pretty.

I do wish Joe would have gotten a chance this year though when Studs was still recovering

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Well we saw what Bartels did this past year in a couple of games when he did have a line and a running game....and it wasn't that pretty.

Agreed, I would have preferred to see Joe get a chance too, but I've never been a big Bartels fan. As far as I'm concerned, Bartels should (and probably will be) 3rd on the depth chart when the season starts. He showed in his limited action last season that he is just not capable enough. At that point, get the next guy in to get some experience.

Hopefully Studs stays health the back QB question in a non-factor.

• Upvote 1

I would like to know when (if it does happen) we can expect to hear something concrete on Grady. Rumors that he is all about coming back to school, and the coaches are willing to work with him are great; but when do we hear that he IS back and IS eligible? Is that an early summer kind of thing? Or is that something that would come out right before fall camp? I assume it depends on what he would need to do in school this summer, and how much he could complete in school, but I'm really anxious to at least hear a rough timeline.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I would have preferred to see Joe get a chance too, but I've never been a big Bartels fan. As far as I'm concerned, Bartels should (and probably will be) 3rd on the depth chart when the season starts. He showed in his limited action last season that he is just not capable enough. At that point, get the next guy in to get some experience.

Hopefully Studs stays health the back QB question in a non-factor.

I also hope the positive reports of Heildlbaughs progress are true. Kid is 6'5" so if he can develop the skills he could be a good one.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

I also hope the positive reports of Heildlbaughs progress are true. Kid is 6'5" so if he can develop the skills he could be a good one.

Agreed, hopefully he turns out to be solid. As much as I would like to talk up his height, we could also say that about baskketball .... Got a nice 7' by the name of Shanks who has been less than impressive this year ???

But seriously, if he has the physical piece, then I hope he has the decision making skills too.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

This is encouraging to see (Oskie from SFI referencing Grady train coming back):

There won’t be anything for spring ball but we have heard that the train is on the tracks. Just waiting to fill up with coal and it will be chugging down the track very soon.

This is huge! I know this isn't a guarantee that he will be back, but it certainly appears to be heading in the right direction. Having Grady here next fall would be a huge relief for our O-line .... and probably for Santiago too.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This is huge! I know this isn't a guarantee that he will be back, but it certainly appears to be heading in the right direction. Having Grady here next fall would be a huge relief for our O-line .... and probably for Santiago too.

It was nice to hear it from these guys. They tend to only speak when they know something for certain. Fingers crossed.

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2016/03/02/spring-2016-preview-und-offense/    

-It's nice knowing that we will be losing only 1 starter on offense after this year.

-4 different RB's averaging over 5 yards a carry is awesome, hopefully Grady will be back and the O line will come together so we can continue to be successful in the running game.

-Studs should only get better this year, 60% completion isn't bad.....and TD to interception was very good....hopefully he can have that same ratio again this year!  

I think we'd all agree that the O line coming together will be the key for the offense this year, and having a solid #2 QB.......but hopefully we won't see the #2 on the field this year except in mop up situations! 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2016/03/02/spring-2016-preview-und-offense/    

-It's nice knowing that we will be losing only 1 starter on offense after this year.

-4 different RB's averaging over 5 yards a carry is awesome, hopefully Grady will be back and the O line will come together so we can continue to be successful in the running game.

-Studs should only get better this year, 60% completion isn't bad.....and TD to interception was very good....hopefully he can have that same ratio again this year!  

I think we'd all agree that the O line coming together will be the key for the offense this year, and having a solid #2 QB.......but hopefully we won't see the #2 on the field this year except in mop up situations! 

In regard to Studs- He was at an 80% completion rate for the last three games of the season. That's solid!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

It says in the paper today that Mitch Meindel is off the team for violation of Athletic Department policy.  Is this something that just happened?  Who will perform the punting duties this fall?

I'd rather not need a punter. ;)

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Isn't there a coach that said he was going with that strategy.

http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2016/01/calculated-risks-from-the-coach-who-never-punts/

I read another article from this Coach about the high percent of scoring plays that happen when more than 2 skill position players touch the ball on one play. So he installed a "Rugby" tag to his play book that means once the play is executed, at any point the players are allowed to lateral the ball backwards until the play is blown dead like in Rugby.

• Upvote 1

There probably won't be a lot of difference between the top 6 or so teams in the conference, it'll probably be a crap shoot as to who will win the conference.  We do have a favorable schedule this year....so hopefully it will be us.   Leave No Doubt!! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

A little Big Sky pre season primer from STATS: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160311115449480249404

Reads as if Northern Arizona and Weber St. could be pretty tough this year.

Eastern, and both Montana's have some issues that's for sure.

UND would sound better with the Grady train back on the track.

13 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Reads as if Northern Arizona and Weber St. could be pretty tough this year.

Eastern, and both Montana's have some issues that's for sure.

UND would sound better with the Grady train back on the track.

Let's hope the train is on the tracks just awaiting departure.

With the high # of starters returning and the relatively non-difficult conference schedule, anything less than 8 wins would be a disappointment for me. 8-3 gets UND into the playoffs but 9-2 could possibly win UND the conference. 

Leave no doubt and go for the Big Sky crown!!

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

With the high # of starters returning and the relatively non-difficult conference schedule, anything less than 8 wins would be a disappointment for me. 8-3 gets UND into the playoffs but 9-2 could possibly win UND the conference. 

Leave no doubt and go for the Big Sky crown!!

This years motto, after getting the shaft last season. That whole 7 win thing is now history, its 8 or more with emphasis on the more. We play Stony Brook, Bowling Green, and South Dakota before conference play if we can go 3-0 or 2-1 like last year, thing should be looking up to make a run for the conference title and our first DI football playoff berth.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...