SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Go ahead play a conservative game. If you do, you'll just be playing to lose by less. You've got to take some chances to win this game, on offense and defense.

To say that you're going win this game by controlling the clock is ridiculous. It won't work.

They sure as hell aren't going to win it by speeding up the pace, which they have no idea how to do.  Of course they are going to take shots, that is not exclusive from playing conservative.  

Go ahead play a conservative game. If you do, you'll just be playing to lose by less. You've got to take some chances to win this game, on offense and defense.

To say that you're going win this game by controlling the clock is ridiculous. It won't work.

If UND somehow controls the clock, that would imply they are moving the ball well... If UND has the ball for 30+ minutes I would tend to think that they are probably in a good position to make a game of it.

They sure as hell aren't going to win it by speeding up the pace, which they have no idea how to do.  Of course they are going to take shots, that is not exclusive from playing conservative.  

Actually, it is.

If UND somehow controls the clock, that would imply they are moving the ball well... If UND has the ball for 30+ minutes I would tend to think that they are probably in a good position to make a game of it.

Time of possession (which is what "controlling the clock" means) is a very overrated statistic.  

Time of possession (which is what "controlling the clock" means) is a very overrated statistic.

If they have the ball more.. They are keeping NDSU's offense off of the field.

If they have the ball more... They are likely having success moving the ball.

Both of these are things UND would like to see happen. I don't think it will happen. But it would be a good starting point to making the game competitive.

If they have the ball more.. They are keeping NDSU's offense off of the field.

If they have the ball more... They are likely having success moving the ball.

Both of these are things UND would like to see happen. I don't think it will happen. But it would be a good starting point to making the game competitive.

I don't agree. IMO, if UND comes into the game thinking that what they need to do is play conservative, run the ball, and control the clock, they'll get rolled. Their best chance is to come in with an aggressive attitude in the hope of getting some breaks and opening up a lead, and then possibly running the ball to protect that lead.

I don't agree. IMO, if UND comes into the game thinking that what they need to do is play conservative, run the ball, and control the clock, they'll get rolled. Their best chance is to come in with an aggressive attitude in the hope of getting some breaks and opening up a lead, and then possibly running the ball to protect that lead.

Let's make this clear, the game will be won with turnovers. If we force a bunch then we can win. We won't win by trying to turn the game into a track meet, that's how teams get their ass kicked by ndsu.

Let's make this clear, the game will be won with turnovers. If we force a bunch then we can win. We won't win by trying to turn the game into a track meet, that's how teams get their ass kicked by ndsu.

Let me answer this one before Gothmog has a chance to post...  I believe the response would be:

"Really, that's all they have to do? I'm thinking that they'll have to score more points than the other team.

In any case, you're talking about getting turnovers against a team that is as good at getting turnovers as anyone. If that's the best shot you've got to beat NDSU, you don't have much of a shot."

I don't agree. IMO, if UND comes into the game thinking that what they need to do is play conservative, run the ball, and control the clock, they'll get rolled. Their best chance is to come in with an aggressive attitude in the hope of getting some breaks and opening up a lead, and then possibly running the ball to protect that lead.

Thanks,  I will forward this to Bubba.  He will be happy to have this advise.

We will focus on running the ball and being conservative.  However I think we will mix it up a little to keep NDSU off guard, also set up a few plays to be potential big hitters.  So I think it will be mostly conservative, but a nice mix of plays so that it's not always 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  This is what our offense will be for NDSU and likely all year.  I think we get your point that we can't just run it every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down like we did at times last year. Rudolph will have a game plan prepared and ready to take advantage of certain situations.  Our offense still has to execute much better than last year.

Let me answer this one before Gothmog has a chance to post... I believe the response would be:

"Really, that's all they have to do? I'm thinking that they'll have to score more points than the other team.

In any case, you're talking about getting turnovers against a team that is as good at getting turnovers as anyone. If that's the best shot you've got to beat NDSU, you don't have much of a shot."

Might as well bring back Mussman Schleussner Hendrickson and crew. Track meet it is.

Now that the B1G won't be playing FCS teams in 2016, does that mean the Bison will be looking for an away game. They are scheduled to play Iowa.  Any chance they would be willing to come to the Alerus? 

Has Iowa bought out that game or will the B1G honor existing contracts?

Also, considering UND has 11 games scheduled, it's highly unlikely.  Their OOC games area return game to Stony Brook and paycheck game at Bowling Green.

Has Iowa bought out that game or will the B1G honor existing contracts?

Also, considering UND has 11 games scheduled, it's highly unlikely. Their OOC games area return game to Stony Brook and paycheck game at Bowling Green.

Is next season a 12 game season?

Also, if the opportunity (longshot) is there to get NDSU at the Alerus, UND should buy out whatever game they need to (Stoney Brook). They couldn't pass that opportunity up.

Now that the B1G won't be playing FCS teams in 2016, does that mean the Bison will be looking for an away game. They are scheduled to play Iowa. Any chance they would be willing to come to the Alerus?

Unlikely.

Also, if the opportunity (longshot) is there to get NDSU at the Alerus, UND should buy out whatever game they need to (Stoney Brook). They couldn't pass that opportunity up.

Not sure if it is or not.  According to the wiki schedule, UND plays every week starting September 3rd with SB except for November 12th, which is their bye week before their last game on November 12th.  So I would guess it isn't a 12 game season next year.  The way I read the B1G release is that they won't be playing FCS after the 2016 season so Iowa's game with NDSU will most likely go on.  If not, NDSU will probably take the buyout and schedule a home game.

Besides, I plan to go to the Stony Brook game so I don't want that to be bought out!

2019 is the next 12 game season with 2024 and 2025 being the ones after that.  At this point, Iowa will still play NDSU, honoring the signed contract.  I don't see them buying it out either with two guys with NDSU ties at the top of the Iowa athletic department.  Even if it were to happen, NDSU would use the money to bring a team in instead of travel or a very slim chance of signing a 2 game contract with someone and play the away game that year. 

Unless UND joins the Missouri Valley or plays in the playoffs at the Alerus against NDSU, It will be in the 2020's before you will have any chance of seeing NDSU go up to the armpit again. The scheduling philosophy will continue to be 6 home games, 2 bye weeks and a game against either a FCS powerhouse or an FBS team. Yes I know NDSU went to Weber State last year, but that was from a back end contract written in 2005.

There is no point in going to Grand Forks when NDSU can pay UND a dollar amount less than our D2 opponents to play in Fargo exclusively.

• Downvote 3

Unless UND joins the Missouri Valley or plays in the playoffs at the Alerus against NDSU, It will be in the 2020's before you will have any chance of seeing NDSU go up to the armpit again. The scheduling philosophy will continue to be 6 home games, 2 bye weeks and a game against either a FCS powerhouse or an FBS team. Yes I know NDSU went to Weber State last year, but that was from a back end contract written in 2005.

There is no point in going to Grand Forks when NDSU can pay UND a dollar amount less than our D2 opponents to play in Fargo exclusively.

I don't think there was any contract in 2005 bro.

You're not fooling anyone. NDSU signed that Weber State contract last year (2014).

http://gobison.com/news/2014/2/18/FB_0218141501.aspx

As for UND-NDSU, NDSU has been the last one to act "childish" in that whole scheduling fiasco. If NDSU can play at Weber State, they can play in Grand Forks and prove to the state of North Dakota that they are as "invincible" as their delusional fanbase thinks they are.