SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So, what if the 1987 Hrkac Circus played the 2016 CBS crew? 

What if the game was in the new REA? What if the game was in the old REA?

What if Ditka drove the '87 team to the rink (either rink) in a school bus? ---> "Da ...Hawks!"

< /my best "Bill Swerski" impression > 

What if there was a Blizzard and it's name was 'Ditka'?

It's pretty certain Hak had a big role in Berry's hire.   Given that Blais handpicked Hak, it's also pretty obvious that Hak is a better judge of what it takes to be a successful college hockey coach than Blais is.     

3 minutes ago, burd said:

It's pretty certain Hak had a big role in Berry's hire.   Given that Blais handpicked Hak, it's also pretty obvious that Hak is a better judge of what it takes to be a successful college hockey coach than Blais is.     

Isn't that sort of contradictory as you pointed out Blais handpicked the guy who is a "better judge of what it takes to be successful college hockey coach."

Both Blais and Hak handpicked their best assistant coaches they thought was the best guy for the job when they left.

Berry has a long way to go still in his legacy. Let's hope it plays out good as it started...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

So, what if the 1987 Hrkac Circus played the 2016 CBS crew? 

What if the game was in the new REA? What if the game was in the old REA?

What if Ditka drove the '87 team to the rink (either rink) in a school bus? ---> "Da ...Hawks!"

< /my best "Bill Swerski" impression > 

Well those guys off the 87 team are getting up there in age so I'm pretty sure this years team could beat them.  Say 5-4...Hrkac and Joyce each with a pair of goals. :D  The Circus wins if Nako, Brower, and Scott Dub were still with us.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Isn't that sort of contradictory as you pointed out Blais handpicked the guy who is a "better judge of what it takes to be successful college hockey coach."

Both Blais and Hak handpicked their best assistant coaches they thought was the best guy for the job when they left.

Berry has a long way to go still in his legacy. Let's hope it plays out good as it started...

Well yes, if you take burd literally, which is usually a mistake.   But a guy can't use smileys all the time.  

5 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I think both were extremely talented but I'm still taking the 2010-11 team. In my opinion, the 10-11 forward unit was much deeper (Kristo and Nelson on the 3rd line) with two solid scoring lines Pony Express and Gregoire-Vande-Hextal. I would take this year's D-core but that 10-11 core was excellent and deep as well Genoway-MacWilliam, Blood-Forbort,  Marto- LaPoint and then Simpson and Gleason as extras. Not to mention Dell had one of the best year's for a UND goaltender ever. Just goes to show how different a team is remembered when they didn't win a championship.

It would be close but I would go with this year's team. If there was a team setup to beat this year's team it would be the 10-11 due to the awesome 2nd line. The Heavy line can't shut down two lines :D. CBS was definitely better than the Pony line offensively and probably defensively as well since Schmaltz and Caggiula were awesome 200 ft players and Boeser got better throughout the year. I think Dell and Johnson are a push or maybe slight edge to Johnson. Ladue, Stecher, and Poolman all could be NHL defensemen next year. The other 4 are all capable of being future NHLers if they continue to develop. The 10-11 group was good but the 15-16 group is better. 

As far as Cratter's comment about this team's talent, we have two guys that are almost guaranteed to be constant NHLers (Schmaltz and Boeser) and 4 guys that I think have a really good chance at being consistent NHLers (Ladue, Stecher, Poolman, and Caggiula). They have another 6 skaters drafted in the 4th-6th round. 2010-11 has had 7 guys even appear in the NHL and the only one that has stuck was Brock Nelson and he scored 21 points as a freshman. 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:00 PM, tnt said:

So what about 3 years of .500 hockey?  5 years? etc.  Yes, nattys are great and last forever, but we don't.  It certainly makes my life more enjoyable in the meantime being relevant every year with at least a hope for that Natty.  I love Natty's just as much as the next guy, but don't know if I could handle mediocrity all the other years, which for the most part has been Duluth's circumstance.  

And Wis lately.

5 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

It would be close but I would go with this year's team. If there was a team setup to beat this year's team it would be the 10-11 due to the awesome 2nd line. The Heavy line can't shut down two lines :D. CBS was definitely better than the Pony line offensively and probably defensively as well since Schmaltz and Caggiula were awesome 200 ft players and Boeser got better throughout the year. I think Dell and Johnson are a push or maybe slight edge to Johnson. Ladue, Stecher, and Poolman all could be NHL defensemen next year. The other 4 are all capable of being future NHLers if they continue to develop. The 10-11 group was good but the 15-16 group is better. 

As far as Cratter's comment about this team's talent, we have two guys that are almost guaranteed to be constant NHLers (Schmaltz and Boeser) and 4 guys that I think have a really good chance at being consistent NHLers (Ladue, Stecher, Poolman, and Caggiula). They have another 6 skaters drafted in the 4th-6th round. 2010-11 has had 7 guys even appear in the NHL and the only one that has stuck was Brock Nelson and he scored 21 points as a freshman. 

Natty pleasure for me is seeing how happy the players are-- and the fans.  For me personally it passes pretty fast.   I really like the first half of each year getting to see the new mix.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, John W. said:

I  looked for the "Fire Hak" thread, but couldn't  find it...... But the 'noose' is tightening around coach's neck in Philly...will Flyer fans and media accept another missed playoff season????

No, it’s the NHL. They fire coaches at an equal rate of Weinstein assault allegations. 

3 hours ago, John W. said:

I  looked for the "Fire Hak" thread, but couldn't  find it...... But the 'noose' is tightening around coach's neck in Philly...will Flyer fans and media accept another missed playoff season????

Playoffs!! Playoffs!! Isn't it November? Are you serious with this? Where's that star wars gif with the "hate flows from this one"?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, John W. said:

I don't know about fan forums but their local media has been putting him on the hot seat since day one. It would seem  that missing the playoffs will put a coach in jeopardy regardless as to the circumstances or previous record. 

So in short, of he makes the playoffs, he will probably be fine. If he regresses from last year, he may be in trouble.