SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I never said I wanted him replaced, I just wanted one of his teams to get over the hump and hang another green banner. But even that is too negative for some people on this forum.

Point to someone who didn't. However you were much more critical of Hak than that. You may not have specifically said the words "he should be replaced" (or maybe you did, I don't know) but at minimum you're definitely on record insinuating it by saying things like his clock is ticking and that you didn't think he had the ability to win a championship.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I never said I wanted him replaced, I just wanted one of his teams to get over the hump and hang another green banner. But even that is too negative for some people on this forum.

I am about on this boat. I don't fault Hak or hold anything against him and do not think he ever really "choked." All the stars just didn't quite align but only an epic talent can do what he was able to do over the course of his career. That being said, I thought it was about time for a change but couldn't find it in myself to say Hakstol should be fired.

In my mind, the change was the most graceful exit that could have ever happened. He wasn't fired, he got to move on (and up even), and we got the little change in pace that we needed (and all the haters cried for). I was so happy that we got to move on without firing Hakstol and I am happy that we won while his fingerprints were still all over the team. Absolutely perfect.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

If a natty means a .500 season afterwards. I'll take it. 

Natties are forever.

Everything else is eventually forgotten.

Oh, four or five years without a Frozen Four appearance and maybe even a missed NCAA tournament or two...and that national championship would be in the rear-view mirror pretty quickly.

29 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I would be plenty happy if Berry put up a stint at UND like this. Competitive every year (even when they missed the tournament they won 20 games) and a couple national championships. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 3.34.39 PM.png

Mr. Belden?

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I would be plenty happy if Berry put up a stint at UND like this. Competitive every year (even when they missed the tournament they won 20 games) and a couple national championships. 

Gwoz was a great coach and the reason I think he is taking his time getting back into the college ranks is due to him being selective (as he has every right to do so). He was basically ran out of Denver by some uneducated AD that thought she knew better.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Gwoz was a great coach and the reason I think he is taking his time getting back into the college ranks is due to him being selective (as he has every right to do so). He was basically ran out of Denver by some uneducated AD that thought she knew better.

I think he's done. He will be 63 in July and has already accomplished about all he can in college hockey.

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I don't think a UND coach would ever miss the Frozen Four his first 9 years.   

He'd be run out of town before then.

• Upvote 1

Man, it took you guys less than two weeks to get back to the scintillating topic of "nattys" vs sustained success without winning the single-elimination tourney at the end of the year. I miss the days when sports weren't over-analyzed to !@#$ and everyone wasn't a freakin' genius.

Don't even have gfhockey to blame this time, nicely done team.

I think these forums (and the discussion herein) have jumped the shark. Too bad really, in the pre-nickname/clickbait/hakbash days i used to enjoy lurking the crap out of this place.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Man, it took you guys less than two weeks to get back to the scintillating topic of "nattys" vs sustained success without winning the single-elimination tourney at the end of the year. I miss the days when sports weren't over-analyzed to !@#$ and everyone wasn't a freakin' genius.

I think these forums (and the discussion herein) have jumped the shark. Too bad really, this place used to be sweet.

I'm unsure what you expect but, if you don't want to over-analyze sports then you are in the wrong place. Fans on a fan forum are going to discuss the team they are a fan of in depth. What do you expect to be talked about on the UND hockey forum? 

Plus if you aren't interested in what is being talked about then don't read it. It's easy enough to avoid the topic instead of posting a get off my lawn type comment.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I don't think a UND coach would ever miss the Frozen Four his first 9 years.   

He'd be run out of town before then.

Bjorkman got 10 years haha. But in general you are probably right. But the coach following what Gwozdecky restored probably wouldn't get 9 years either.

Gwozdecky had to rebuild that program. Denver made the national tournament one time between Murray Armstrong and Gwozdecky and that was 9 years before Gwozdecky. UND made it 6 times in the same time span. They won 20+ games in 7 of 17 years. UND won 20+ in 13 of 17. You get a longer leash when you're taking over for an average program.

By the way, I would take Hakstol's stretch as well. I'd prefer Gwozdecky's results to Hakstol's but that is nothing against Hakstol.

15 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I'm unsure what you expect but, if you don't want to over-analyze sports then you are in the wrong place. Fans on a fan forum are going to discuss the team they are a fan of in depth. What do you expect to be talked about on the UND hockey forum? 

Plus if you aren't interested in what is being talked about then don't read it. It's easy enough to avoid the topic instead of posting a get off my lawn type comment.

Absolutely. Agreed.

What I expect, or at least hope to get, from my leisure-time activity of reading sports message boards about my favorite teams (Red Sox included btw) is intelligent discourse, maybe some insider information, a few one-liners, and an additional level of immersion into the culture surrounding those teams. I used to get that here (got on the uscho forum just after I graduated and moved away from GF, was happy when SS sprung up!), but I'm not sure the ratio of good to bad is there anymore. It's expected that some percentage of the contribution won't meet my lofty standards, but if most of it doesn't then I should use my leisure time differently. This is literally the same people re-hashing the same debate that has been ongoing here for what, 3-4 years?

Thanks for the advice bud, I'll add coach discussion to the list of things I no longer want to read this group's opinions on. Have a good one, and go Sox!

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Absolutely. Agreed.

What I expect, or at least hope to get, from my leisure-time activity of reading sports message boards about my favorite teams (Red Sox included btw) is intelligent discourse, maybe some insider information, a few one-liners, and an additional level of immersion into the culture surrounding those teams. I used to get that here (got on the uscho forum just after I graduated and moved away from GF, was happy when SS sprung up!), but I'm not sure the ratio of good to bad is there anymore. It's expected that some percentage of the contribution won't meet my lofty standards, but if most of it doesn't then I should use my leisure time differently. This is literally the same people re-hashing the same debate that has been ongoing here for what, 3-4 years?

Thanks for the advice bud, I'll add coach discussion to the list of things I no longer want to read this group's opinions on. Have a good one, and go Sox!

Fair enough. And a lot of it is rehashed and old but it can be interesting every now and then. I usually skip over them as well though. I think the inside info and funny lines and good analysis still far outweighs the negatives. So I still enjoy reading here. 

I probably came off as a prick in my comment, but I kind of intended to because I read your other post as being condescending. Good response, obviously thoroughly thought about, and it makes sense. Peace, and go Sox. 

• Upvote 2

I literally. Can. Not. Fathom. Why this discussion continues to come up? I swear, Hakstol had to have slept with half the sisters and mothers on this board.

It starts with the people that can't celebrate a national championship without taking some sort of dig at him. Then it devolves into the posters whose glasses are so green tinted they can't acknowledge the mere idea that UND didn't field the absolute best team in college hockey every year for the last sixteen years.

I firmly believe that Hakstol probably did blow it in the DOT years, that team was much too talented. Outside of that, I don't believe he likely did anything himself to lose any of those games, by either his coaching or his philosophy. In fact, a few of those teams I saw in the tournament, and make the Frozen Four, had no business being there.

Maybe it's my two hours of sleep, but this thread makes me nauseas, and makes my head hurt.

• Upvote 1

How's this for sacrilegious, I don't think Blais is that good of a coach. His success at UND was off the backs of his assistants. Since leaving UND he's made the Frozen Four once, playoffs twice, no conference championships, no conference tournament championships, and most importantly no natties.:cool:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kermit's Luck said:

I think these forums (and the discussion herein) have jumped the shark. Too bad really, in the pre-nickname/clickbait/hakbash days i used to enjoy lurking the crap out of this place.

It's the offseason, what else are we supposed to talk about? Talking about guys leaving school early fills only so much time and space on this forum. Once August rolls around, people will turn their attention to UND FB and Year 3 of Bubba's reclamation project. And then once October comes, it will be back to talking about hanging #9.

• Upvote 1

People are still shitting on Hak :silly:  Man people on this board are so spoiled with winning that can't look at how good we have it.  I guarantee every team outside of Boston College would kill to have the consistancy and chance to win every year that Hakstol brought to UND.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1