SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Insert Cam Johnson's performance in place of any of about a half dozen or so Frozen Fours since 2005 and this is probably banner #9 or #10.  Not blaming the goalies involved in those games - just seemed that the FF was always the time for his worst outing of the season.

Cam's play was terrific at the F4

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Insert Cam Johnson's performance in place of any of about a half dozen or so Frozen Fours since 2005 and this is probably banner #9 or #10.  Not blaming the goalies involved in those games - just seemed that the FF was always the time for his worst outing of the season.

I'll blame the goalies. And the slow footed defense that BC would blow past. And the refs for not letting us physically beat the piss out of east coast teams. Oh, and Hak. Fire Hak. 

I just don't know if I've seen a Sioux team with this much talent at every position.  And on top of that, elite scorers who were just as good in the neutral zone when they didn't have the puck.  It was interesting to hear Berry say at the postgame that they stressed that this year, and it showed.   When you have first round picks at forward backchecking  and stealing pucks for odd man rushes the other way, you have something special, and not just in goals scored.  It makes every player on the team want to take their defensive roles seriously and play an unselfish game.   Bochinski was fun to watch and one of the best pure scorers UND has had, but he didn't match the total team contribution Boeser made this year, IMO.    

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You can't seriously believe this? Hak recruited every single player on this year's team. Hak played many different styles. The fact that people need to take potshots at him is ridiculous.

One thing I noticed with Berry vs Hak is that Berrys teams weren't as tight.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd argue  it depended on the team you're talking about. A few years ago the team was about as laid back as they come. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Thank you

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

You can't seriously believe this? Hak recruited every single player on this year's team. Hak played many different styles. The fact that people need to take potshots at him is ridiculous.

Thank you too

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

They all seemed to play tight in the tourny though.

2011 especially, they just couldn't seem to let it all hang out against Michigan.  To be fair in the comparison, though, the twenty minute stretch against Denver three days ago was worse than anything we've seen in the Frozen Four except the last debacle against BC (2008?).  It was getting through that meltdown against Denver that seemed to have freed them to let loose the hounds against Q.  They looked just like they did against Northeastern -- way too hot to handle.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Oh, this team looked pretty tight for a good stretch of the Denver game.  My, we have short memories around here.  

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, burd said:

An observation that might be either irrelevant or just wrong. 

I think Hak's and Berry'ss coaching philosophies are very similar, as are their game systems.  Both teach commitment to defensive fundamentals and discipline, and I assume they are both tough taskmasters.  But I think Berry is a little more of a father figure to those boys--tough, but with a softer side to him.   Hak was loved by his players, that much has been made clear over the years, but I think he will succeed at the NHL level  to a degree Berry could not partly because his personality fits a business discipline as compared to Berry's fatherly disposition.  Although it is hard to think Berry can be more successful than Hak was from year to year, that difference in their personalities  might allow Berry to accomplish some things Hak did not when working with college kids. 

I have NO BASIS for this conjecture.   I don't know Hak or Berry personally, and I don't know any current or former players.  Just another uninformed fan's opinion.  But what the heck, there are few things as risk free as a fan's opinion.   

Exactly my thoughts as well.

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

tumblr_menqc10vnj1r50l6a.gif

Of course, you're THIS GUY after the team wins the national championship.  Didn't expect anything less out of ya when I went to bed at midnight...and you certainly delivered yet again!

that pic sums up the ten year reign of hak at und...the death stare and 78% winning percentage but no natty's

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

19 hours ago, brianvf said:

Dude.  UND just won the national title.
Let's enjoy it for a bit.  :)

trust me i did!! and to top it off you gotta love it for guys like colten st clair and colent sanderson...can you imagine what st clair felt when brad told him he was suiting up for his last game of his career for a national title?  and guys like sanderson who could've quit many times (like tambellini) but stuck around and played a big part in winning a national championship...and the classiest move that didn't get a  lot of pub but when brad brought gino along on this trip...winning begets winning and gino is a winner (unlike hak).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

trust me i did!! and to top it off you gotta love it for guys like colten st clair and colent sanderson...can you imagine what st clair felt when brad told him he was suiting up for his last game of his career for a national title?  and guys like sanderson who could've quit many times (like tambellini) but stuck around and played a big part in winning a national championship...and the classiest move that didn't get a  lot of pub but when brad brought gino along on this trip...winning begets winning and gino is a winner (unlike hak).

Good post, up until the end.  You just had to throw that last stupid comment in there, didn't you?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So berry had nothing to do with these recruits? He prob had much more contact with them than Hak when they were being recruited. 

Have we not seen a transition in the type of players in the last couple years. Yes Hak did start the change but it wasn't until recently.

if you read my whole post you wouldn't see it as a pot shot.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

That's what I've been thinking.  Berry seems to bond better with these kids.  Hak is a great coach, but I wonder if Berry's personality works better with the college player of today.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND83 said:

FACT: Berry delivered number 8 in year one.  Something Hakstol didn't do in 11 years.

Now that UND won #8, people claim the "hockey gods" will make us go into a "UMD type" slump now. 

Its only one or the other. :(

• Upvote 2