SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

5 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I wasn't bashing Hakstol. I thought he was a great coach, as I said in my original post. I was just saying that Berry put those guys together to start the season, and kept them together. Hakstol would have shuffled lines around until he got it right. Which, in turn, possibly would have made us a lower seed in the tournament and could have led to us playing Michigan or Denver without the last change. Which then, could have affected the outcome being we didn't have last change to put the Heavy Line against other teams top lines. 

If my grandma had balls she could have been my grandpa.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I wasn't bashing Hakstol. I thought he was a great coach, as I said in my original post. I was just saying that Berry put those guys together to start the season, and kept them together. Hakstol would have shuffled lines around until he got it right. Which, in turn, possibly would have made us a lower seed in the tournament and could have led to us playing Michigan or Denver without the last change. Which then, could have affected the outcome being we didn't have last change to put the Heavy Line against other teams top lines. 

If we ended up being a lower seed, we don't go to Cincy and we sure as heck wouldn't have played Michigan or Denver.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:43 AM, siouxkid12 said:

Some would and would have a good point. I'm saying that in Hak's tenure, he never missed an NCAA tournament (BC did in 09) and was always challenging for a title. Without that consistency , I don't think you get Boeser (was going to go to Wisconsin) or Ausmus (was going to go to Denver) or any other talented player over the past few years.

In closing, yes it is Berry who coached this team to a title but don't forget that it was Hak who really laid the foundation over the last 11 yrs to get to this point.

Okay, I just have to respond to this. You are basically saying that Boston College's 3 NCAA titles in 5 years (2008, 2010, 2012) are somehow offset by the Eagles not making the NCAA tournament in 2009. That is perhaps the most twisted piece of logic I have ever read on this site. Please tell me that isn't what you meant.

The cold, hard truth is, from 2005-2015, Boston College had more high-level success than North Dakota. Having said that, the Eagles haven't won a natty since 2012 and UND just broke a 16 year title drought, so that narrative may be changing (finally).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Wondering why we didn't get this guy earlier. ;)

Many wondered what Hak was doing (questioned) when he didn't renew Eades and then wrote a fairly specific job posting that pointed to basically Brad Berry. 

I'd say the only smudge on Hak's collegiate resume is Frozen Four performances; however, Hak can lay claim to setting the right man in place to overcome that. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Many wondered what Hak was doing (questioned) when he didn't renew Eades and then wrote a fairly specific job posting that pointed to basically Brad Berry. 

I'd say the only smudge on Hak's collegiate resume is Frozen Four performances; however, Hak can lay claim to setting the right man in place to overcome that. 

This is a great point. I sometimes almost forget that Hakstol essentially chose Berry to come back to the program again if he wanted to.

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You know what I know:

I know what Brad Berry did this year was ... unprecedented

Red didn't do it. Saint Jackie Parker? Nix. Hak? Nyet. Jehwey Woork? Nein. Cha-cha-cha-Lucia-pet? Nope.The 'ooch? Sorry, not him either. It hurts, but neither Gino nor Blaiser.

Heck, even Herb Brooks didn't pull it off. 

Brad Berry: the only coach to win the NCAA Championship in his first season. 

Why are we talking about anyone else. 

Because October is 6 months away and I already miss college hockey :(

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, I just have to respond to this. You are basically saying that Boston College's 3 NCAA titles in 5 years (2008, 2010, 2012) are somehow offset by the Eagles not making the NCAA tournament in 2009. That is perhaps the most twisted piece of logic I have ever read on this site. Please tell me that isn't what you meant.

The cold, hard truth is, from 2005-2015, Boston College had more high-level success than North Dakota. Having said that, the Eagles haven't won a natty since 2012 and UND just broke a 16 year title drought, so that narrative may be changing (finally).

No, what I am saying is Hak kept this program at the top, every year he was here. I did say that other people would have a valid point for making the argument that BC was more successful. What your not understanding (due to your hatred towards Hak) is the kind of success he had. With all the parity in college hockey, what coach at UND or any University can say they were year in and year out one of the favorites to win, during Hak's tenure? 

You got your wish, Hak gone and a national championship. If UND has one season that is under .500 and miss the NCAA tournament, you better be calling for Berry's head (not that I see that happening).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

... and if you remember, there were some on this board that were ripping Berry's defense the first year or two when he came back.  Would love to see those people's comments then compared to now.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

No, what I am saying is Hak kept this program at the top, every year he was here. I did say that other people would have a valid point for making the argument that BC was more successful. What your not understanding (due to your hatred towards Hak) is the kind of success he had. With all the parity in college hockey, what coach at UND or any University can say they were year in and year out one of the favorites to win, during Hak's tenure? 

You got your wish, Hak gone and a national championship. If UND has one season that is under .500 and miss the NCAA tournament, you better be calling for Berry's head (not that I see that happening).

I do not "hate" anyone, hate is much too strong of a word to use when talking about this particular issue. And no, I won't be calling for Berry's head if we have a down year; that can happen to any program at any time. But I don't really think that is going to happen with Berry in charge. If we ever do have a Mussman-style disaster at the head coaching position, then I'll be calling for a change. But again, I don't see that happening.

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

If a natty means a .500 season afterwards. I'll take it. 

Natties are forever.

Everything else is eventually forgotten.

So what about 3 years of .500 hockey?  5 years? etc.  Yes, nattys are great and last forever, but we don't.  It certainly makes my life more enjoyable in the meantime being relevant every year with at least a hope for that Natty.  I love Natty's just as much as the next guy, but don't know if I could handle mediocrity all the other years, which for the most part has been Duluth's circumstance.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, tnt said:

So what about 3 years of .500 hockey?  5 years? etc.  Yes, nattys are great and last forever, but we don't.  It certainly makes my life more enjoyable in the meantime being relevant every year with at least a hope for that Natty.  I love Natty's just as much as the next guy, but don't know if I could handle mediocrity all the other years, which for the most part has been Duluth's circumstance.  

If that happens, then we make a coaching change (example: replacing Gino with Blais in 1994). But I don't see that happening and I don't get the implications from some people that this somehow will happen now that Hakstol is gone and Berry is in charge. I see no evidence of that happening. What is happening in Duluth does not have to happen here. And I don't think it will.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

I said one season. Five years time for a change.

Rotating every other year between natties and 500. Everyone would love that. A natty ever other year! :)

• Upvote 1

Berry's problem now is he set the bar too high.

Incredible overall record.

Regular season champs.

National Title.

I think we can forgive him for leaving the NCHC Tournament Champs box unchecked. That's about the only thing left.

And all with 11 freshman.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Berry's problem now is he set the bar too high.

Incredible overall record.

Regular season champs.

National Title.

I think we can forgive him for leaving the NCHC Tournament Champs box unchecked. That's about the only thing left.

And all with 11 freshman.

That is a good problem to have! :)

I think Berry's NCAA title in his first season will keep the wolves at bay for some time. I don't think Lucia would have survived some of those bad seasons in the late 2000's if he hadn't brought home national titles in 2002 and 2003. I don't expect any huge drop-offs for this program in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

I do not "hate" anyone, hate is much too strong of a word to use when talking about this particular issue. And no, I won't be calling for Berry's head if we have a down year; that can happen to any program at any time. But I don't really think that is going to happen with Berry in charge. If we ever do have a Mussman-style disaster at the head coaching position, then I'll be calling for a change. But again, I don't see that happening.

But UND never had a down year under Hak or a "Mussman-style disaster", yet you wanted him replaced, correct?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

UND hasn't had a down year in hockey since King Blais brought us that 16-19-2 winning season back in 01-02.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

But UND never had a down year under Hak or a "Mussman-style disaster", yet you wanted him replaced, correct?

I never said I wanted him replaced, I just wanted one of his teams to get over the hump and hang another green banner. But even that is too negative for some people on this forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, siouxkid12 said:

UND hasn't had a down year in hockey since King Blais brought us that 16-19-2 winning season back in 01-02.

And that was his only losing season. One losing season out of 10 is pretty good. And he brought home a boatload of hardware along with that. 5 WCHA regular season titles. 2 WCHA playoff titles. And 2 NCAA titles. And most of those were won without the benefit of a $100 hockey palace and all the bells and whistles that went with it. Taking a shot at one of the most decorated coaches in program history was totally unnecessary, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And that was his only losing season. One losing season out of 10 is pretty good. And he brought home a boatload of hardware along with that. 5 WCHA regular season titles. 2 WCHA playoff titles. And 2 NCAA titles. And most of those were won without the benefit of a $100 hockey palace and all the bells and whistles that went with it. Taking a shot at one of the most decorated coaches in program history was totally unnecessary, IMO.

What did Hak do? Sit at home and do nothing? 

Blais also had the benefit of a $100 hockey palace, actually every hockey team in D1 hockey has a $100 hockey palace!

If you can consistently take pot shots at Hak, then I say that Blais is fair game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

If Blais is King, Berry's working on god status.

I only used the word "king" because that's how some people around here still treat Blais. Yes, he was a great coach that turned the program around and won us 2 national championships but his last championship was 16 years ago. 

Berry is an excellent coach who will keep the winning tradition alive and well around here but some people on this board live by a double standard. There is no reason Hak should be treated the way he is by our fan base. The things he has done for this program and how he set them up for the future will be forgotten by some fans but not me.

• Upvote 3