SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Watching UNO v OSU. Why is Don Lucias signature on the ice at Baxter Center?

Their video has greatly improved.

I think that signature is the signature of the wife of the other guy that talks during the games. She died before the season started.

Edited by cberkas

Lucia is going to be pitching a fit, David Morley with a goal and 2 assists turned 25 last July.  The other goal scorers (Benik, Murray) were 23 last winter. 

Lucia is going to call for an emergency meeting with the NCAA right after the game to ban all 25 year olds. ;)

• Upvote 2

Well, CC has found yet another way to lose-this time, however, through no fault of their own. 40 seconds to play in the 3rd period and a 3-3 tie game, the CC forward with the puck gets hauled down as he's leaving the zone right in front of the ref, AF picks up the loose puck, skates in on a two-on-one and passes it over to a wide open man for a one-timer for the GWG. CC got a bench minor after the goal to boot (probably for arguing with the officials or something).

This loss more than any of the blow out losses was a a huge kick in the berries. CC deserved a better fate, they played hard and well. Nothin like a little home cookin from Atlantic Hockey officials.

Edited by Godsmack
Typo

Well, CC has found yet another way to lose-this time, however, through no fault of their own. 40 seconds to play in the 3rd period and a 3-3 tie game, the CC forward with the puck gets hauled down as he's leaving the zone right in front of the ref, AF picks up the loose puck, skates in on a two-on-one and passes it over to a wide open man for a one-timer for the GWG. CC got a bench minor after the goal to boot (probably for arguing with the officials or something).

This loss more than any of the blow out losses was a a huge kick in the berries. CC deserved a better fate, they played hard and well. Nothin like a little home cookin from Atlantic Hockey officials.

Colorado College might want to take a big giant check up to Denver.

Lucia is going to call for an emergency meeting with the NCAA right after the game to ban all 25 year olds. ;)

In the pregame, Tim Hennessey asked Michigan State head coach Tom Anastos  about the B1G's new proposal. Of course, Anastos puked out the B1G's talking points. We are pushing 18-year olds out of college hockey, blah, blah... To be honest with you, I would rather they just say, "we're butt hurt because we can't dominate college hockey. Donny Lucia wanted us to back up his stupid proposal because he's  still mad about his team getting their asses kicked against Union in the Frozen Four."

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 2

In the pregame, Tim Hennessey asked Michigan State head coach Tom Anastos  about the B1G's new proposal. Of course, Anastos puked out the B1G's talking points. We are pushing 18-year olds out of college hockey, blah, blah... To be honest with you, I would rather they just say, "we're butt hurt because we can't dominate college hockey. Donny Lucia wanted us to back up his stupid proposal because he's  still mad about his team getting their asses kicked against Union in the Frozen Four."

I didnt get that negative a tone from his interview. He did also say that he likes these older players in college hockey. I thought his answers were more of the careful variety. He's in a spot where he has to support the stance taken by his league, but I didn't get the sense that he exactly supports it. He chose his words very carefully.

Here's what it boils down too. 

Don Lucia and the Small Six want to decrease the talent level of college hockey.

That's not good for anyone.

In Donnie's mind, it's just not healthy for college hockey for the B1G (face it, for Minnesota) to no longer get the pick of any kid that they want. Other schools are coming into his recruiting turf and picking off kids they never used to have a chance at and that may push back some others they have already recruited to another year of juniors. He doesn't want all this recruiting competition for the kids that are "sure things". He wants to force these schools back out of his recruiting ground by taking away this "stockpiling" recruiting he says these other schools are doing. Gone are the days where the U of M can just pick their incoming class from Model Camp and the MN Mr. Hockey finalists. 

• Upvote 1

I didnt get that negative a tone from his interview. He did also say that he likes these older players in college hockey. I thought his answers were more of the careful variety. He's in a spot where he has to support the stance taken by his league, but I didn't get the sense that he exactly supports it. He chose his words very carefully.

I didn't say it was negative, per se, I just said he was on message.... He spit out conference talking points.  I would be surprised if this proposal gets through... It all boils down to the Big Ten not being happy about their current status in college hockey.

All that needs to happen for the Big Ten Conference to become even more irrelevant is for the other conferences to stop scheduling them.  Let them play each other 6 times a year.  Mariucci Arena is half empty and the Kohl Center is even worse.

When the conference changes happened the big mouthed Gophers fans were spouting off that North Dakota would be the program that would be hurt the most.  And then Lucia decided he wasn't going to grace UND fans with his Gophers anymore.  This was hailed as the final blow to Sioux hockey because North Dakota couldn't survive without the mighty Gophers on the schedule.  Well, North Dakota is still playing in front of a packed house and the Gophers and Badgers are playing in front of parents, family and a few friends, just like your typical Bantam game.

excellent idea. Nchc schools should stop scheduling games vs big ten schools I'd support that!

I just find it interesting that Lucia doesn't like the early recruiting with his reasoning being that  kids don't develop and then end up not getting a scholarship, yet now he doesn't want to make room for the late developing kids.  To me it just goes to show that his talk all about the kids is a joke.  He didn't like the gentlemen's agreement because he is no gentleman and these disingenuous and two-faced arguments confirm that.

That is the best analysis I've seen on subject. 

Donny wants it both ways:

-stop the neo-natal recruiting

-stop allowing late bloomers

OK, so what's left? 

The B1G is trying to stack the deck believing that all 18 year olds will obviously pick a "name" (B1G) school over a real hockey program. I guess you have to try anything and everything when it's not working on the ice.

• Upvote 3

why not? Currently playing them is detrimental to a team's pairwise rankings. I think the rest of college hockey should put their foot down and show the big ten that they aren't the all mighty conference they believe they are in the college hockey world.

I actually agree. If the B1G wants to act like a bunch of douches and try and pass rules without the input of the rest of the league, maybe the rest of the league should just not schedule them. You want to put that conference in its place, the rest of the teams just have to agree not to play them. It will get awful boring with the same six teams playing each other all season long.

I actually agree. If the B1G wants to act like a bunch of douches and try and pass rules without the input of the rest of the league, maybe the rest of the league should just not schedule them. You want to put that conference in its place, the rest of the teams just have to agree not to play them. It will get awful boring with the same six teams playing each other all season long.

And that will lead to another B1G sponsored NCAA regulation regarding who you have to play.

while mn is guilty of a lot of things, this isn't one of them. Those home and home series are agreed upon by the other schools. Instead of having a 2 game home series for one year, they have 2 home and home series for 2 years.

I personally hate the home and home concept, it is better for the schools because there is a level of stability from a revenue standpoint and there is a reduction in expenses. 

Um...isn't tomorrow's game at Mariucci?  So now the reward for not playing in the North Star is to play at Mariucci twice?  Gee, what next, does the one team that doesn't get to play Minnesota in the North Star earn the privilege of washing the Gopher players' jocks once the tournament is over?  

• Upvote 2

I just find it interesting that Lucia doesn't like the early recruiting with his reasoning being that  kids don't develop and then end up not getting a scholarship, yet now he doesn't want to make room for the late developing kids.  To me it just goes to show that his talk all about the kids is a joke.  He didn't like the gentlemen's agreement because he is no gentleman and these disingenuous and two-faced arguments confirm that.

He wants to be able to pluck recruits from other teams if it suits his needs. If he starts doing that, there's nothing to stop other teams from doing it to him. 

• Upvote 1