SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Has anybody on the boards here seen the AZ State team play, or know which rink is their home ice?  I may want to attend a game or two down there this winter.

They play at Oceanside Arena in Tempe.

http://www.oceansideicearena.net/

If you're used to any sort of old WCHA arena (even the crappiest ones), you'll be disappointed in the arena.  :)  I've played some adult league games there...I think the Blue Line Arena near RRHS is nicer.  :D

They play at Oceanside Arena in Tempe.

http://www.oceansideicearena.net/

If you're used to any sort of old WCHA arena (even the crappiest ones), you'll be disappointed in the arena.  :)  I've played some adult league games there...I think the Blue Line Arena near RRHS is nicer.  :D

Thank you for the info.  I enjoyed reading over the info about the adult leagues rosters', just to see if I would recognize any names (I didn't).

Thank you for the info.  I enjoyed reading over the info about the adult leagues rosters', just to see if I would recognize any names (I didn't).

If you're looking for ex-college and ex-pros, they'll all be playing at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.  Pretty crazy talent there in the their adult leagues.

If you're looking for ex-college and ex-pros, they'll all be playing at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.  Pretty crazy talent there in the their adult leagues.

I was actually looking for names of players I may have coached in high school.  I do think I know where the Ice Den is (up north, I believe, next to a car wash and restaurant).

I'm not ready to pull the plug on Haviland. He inherited a really bad situation when he arrived, Owens left the program in pretty rough shape. Despite witnessing an absolutely effortless performance last night, I believe in what Haviland is trying to do there. At the end of the day, the players have to go out there and at least show some effort and sadly, they didn't do that last night against Duluth. Give Haviland one or two more seasons.

I'm not ready to pull the plug on Haviland. He inherited a really bad situation when he arrived, Owens left the program in pretty rough shape. Despite witnessing an absolutely effortless performance last night, I believe in what Haviland is trying to do there. At the end of the day, the players have to go out there and at least show some effort and sadly, they didn't do that last night against Duluth. Give Haviland one or two more seasons.

That's if Haviland himself decides to stay for the possible turnaround.  I remember looking at his experience when he first got the job...lots of 1-3 year stints at places.  As someone who moves a lot, those tendencies always stick out to me on a person's work history.

CC the lone winless team remaining in the nation.

Anyone else catch any Omaha-Miami game on NCHCtv last night?  I only had it on for a couple minutes, but the camera guy was zoomed in waaaaaay too far and there was no audio.  Just brutal.

It was pretty bad.  And they completely missed 2 or 3 of the goals live by showing the behind the net camera angle. 

Watching their 3x3 OT, it appeared that Omaha had never practiced that before...for Miami's winning goal, they had two of their guys behind their own net following the puck and the other guy was floating way up high.  Left the Miami guy wide open in front where he got a couple chances and had about 2-3 seconds all alone to put the puck where ever he wanted.

Gwoz moved back to Denver and is coaching a high school team probably biding his time. If CC were to cut ties with Haviland or if Haviland were simply to leave, that would make for fantastic story lines having Gwoz coaching the Tigers. That said, he had originally been on DU to up his salary to be in line with the market and DU wouldn't do it so not sure CC would have deep enough pockets or willingness to shell out the kind of $ he could command. I'd think a BIG school like Wisconsin or Ohio State would come calling and be more likely candidates.

I particularly like this quote:

It's not just the big football schools that are the great teams.

I'm looking at the current USCHO poll, and there are only three schools in that list that I would even consider "big football schools":  Michigan at 12, Notre Dame at 18, and Penn State at 20.  Maybe you could considering Yale at 10, but that's probably stretching it.

Basically, right now a better statement is that the big football schools don't have great hockey teams.

• Upvote 1

The B1G showing their true colors.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/11/24_big_ten_legislation_raises.php

The B1G wants age restriction on players and then they are complaining that they have to recruit players younger and younger. Not surprised this was all started by Lucia after he lost to Union in the National Title game.

The way the B1G is acting why would anyone want to schedule them ever again. They're acting like a bunch of kids that didn't get their way so they're taking their toys home, so no one can play with them.  

I remember hearing Coach Schaffer speak at Sioux Boosters a few years ago-he said many "big power conference schools" are unwilling to sign agreements with Cornell to do a home and away series with them and that's why he appreciated schools like North Dakota who's willing to return the favor of traveling to other team's barns. As much as I dislike DU I give them props too for taking the Coach Schaffer approach of "anywhere, anytime, anyplace" with regards to scheduling. Seems schools like Minnesota are unwilling to travel to non-conference teams' barns. You'd think Lucia who's coaching roots go back to small schools (Fairbanks and CC) would show a little bit more concern for the greater good of college hockey rather than just what's best for his school.

• Upvote 2

I remember hearing Coach Schaffer speak at Sioux Boosters a few years ago-he said many "big power conference schools" are unwilling to sign agreements with Cornell to do a home and away series with them and that's why he appreciated schools like North Dakota who's willing to return the favor of traveling to other team's barns. As much as I dislike DU I give them props too for taking the Coach Schaffer approach of "anywhere, anytime, anyplace" with regards to scheduling. Seems schools like Minnesota are unwilling to travel to non-conference teams' barns. You'd think Lucia who's coaching roots go back to small schools (Fairbanks and CC) would show a little bit more concern for the greater good of college hockey rather than just what's best for his school.

True enough, but Lucia's first duty is to his current employer.   If he had his druthers, they probably would travel to more NC rinks.   Don't know that, of course. 

True enough, but Lucia's first duty is to his current employer.   If he had his druthers, they probably would travel to more NC rinks.   Don't know that, of course. 

Nope.  Travelling to a competitive team's rink is tough on his "pre-madonna" players' wittle tummies.

• Upvote 3

Let's call this ploy for what it is-the BIG teams are tired of getting kicked around by "inferior" teams so they're trying to rig the rules in their favor.

Nothing has changed-back in the 60's, Minnesota whined about schools like Denver recruiting Canadian "men" and how unfair it was for their 18 year old Minnesota boys to have to play them.

• Upvote 4