SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Neither am I. I suspect Trevor Olson might "take issue" with situations like that. After that? Maybe Pogo or Chyzyk.

The problem is this: In today's NCAA guys are not afraid of direct, on-ice ramifications and there is no indirect, off-ice ramification either (one game is nothing). 

I think everyone on the team would have done something if it was a UND player.

Was at a Seattle Thunderbirds game over the weekend.  Mathew Barzal, #1 pick of Islanders and slick skill player got ran along the end boards- he was vulnerable, and the hit was vicious- certainly charging or boarding with contact up high.  Without an instant of hesitation, his linemate Keegan Kolesar had lost his gloves and was feeding the Moose Jaw player responsible.  You stick up for your teammates...especially when they are skill guys...

I seem to recall Dino ordering the code red and sending Matt Greene out to protect Zach Parise in a similar situation...

code-red-few-good-men-o.gif

Coach Blais, did you order the code red?

Funny, coming from a guy who plays home games at Baxter, which put the home bench next to the penalty box.

• Upvote 1

I personally like the variety of ice surfaces and layouts in hockey.  I think hockey should go the baseball route and allow even more variation.  Just set the maximum and minimum parameters.  Its fun to play on olympic sheets, nhl sheets, short sheets like the old DECC, and what not.  I would like to see variation in lengths, widths, etc.  

I personally like the variety of ice surfaces and layouts in hockey.  I think hockey should go the baseball route and allow even more variation.  Just set the maximum and minimum parameters.  Its fun to play on olympic sheets, nhl sheets, short sheets like the old DECC, and what not.  I would like to see variation in lengths, widths, etc.  

I can see your interest factor, but I have to disagree.  To me, that's like saying you want a different size goal than the rest of the country - maybe St. Cloud should be 4" wider to keep proportions?  (Mariucci would only be 2.5" wider, since they changed their ice size a couple years ago to add more empty seats).  From another angle; You don't see different sized football fields in college than high school or the NFL.  Can you imagine saying UND was going to build a new football stadium, but only make it 40 yards wide?  Or to match the dimensions of the CFL field? Last objection would be that a sizable percentage of these kids are trying to play hockey at the next level, so why not let them prepare? 

• Upvote 3

I too like the variety of rinks but not size.  Olympic sized ice sheets need to disappear.  Such a boring game to watch if you D up correctly (ex. most recent Olympics).

Edited by scpa0305

I have this debate all the time with a buddy of mine whose a CC season ticket holder as am I....I think the game is more intense and exciting on the NHL size sheet-less room, less time to make decisions=more scoring opportunities. He argues that the extra 15 feet gives teams on offense room to maneuver and set up plays. I guess we have a philosophical difference of opinion. I find that opposing teams are wise to teams who play on the big ice that try to make those long, home run passes.

Edited by Godsmack
Typo
  • Upvote 1

I have this debate all the time with a buddy of mine whose a CC season ticket holder as am I....I think the game is more intense and exciting on the NHL size sheet-less room, less time to make decisions=more scoring opportunities. He argues that the extra 15 feet gives teams on offense room to maneuver and set up plays. I guess we have a philosophical difference of opinion. I find that opposing teams are wise to teams who play on the big ice that try to make those long, home run passes.

Big ice sheets you can trap; it is actually easier to play D.  At least at the higher levels.

Do any of the Major Junior teams have Olympic size sheets?   I certainly wouldn't want to be a team with Olympic ice.  Just another reason for an NHL draft pick to be moved to the minor leagues earlier.  Would you rather have a guy develop playing 50 percent or so of his games and practice time on a sheet that he won't see at all in the NHL, or the correct size rink?

I can see your interest factor, but I have to disagree.  To me, that's like saying you want a different size goal than the rest of the country - maybe St. Cloud should be 4" wider to keep proportions?  (Mariucci would only be 2.5" wider, since they changed their ice size a couple years ago to add more empty seats).  From another angle; You don't see different sized football fields in college than high school or the NFL.  Can you imagine saying UND was going to build a new football stadium, but only make it 40 yards wide?  Or to match the dimensions of the CFL field? Last objection would be that a sizable percentage of these kids are trying to play hockey at the next level, so why not let them prepare? 

Mariucci is still Olympic.