SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

I remember hearing Coach Schaffer speak at Sioux Boosters a few years ago-he said many "big power conference schools" are unwilling to sign agreements with Cornell to do a home and away series with them and that's why he appreciated schools like North Dakota who's willing to return the favor of traveling to other team's barns. As much as I dislike DU I give them props too for taking the Coach Schaffer approach of "anywhere, anytime, anyplace" with regards to scheduling. Seems schools like Minnesota are unwilling to travel to non-conference teams' barns. You'd think Lucia who's coaching roots go back to small schools (Fairbanks and CC) would show a little bit more concern for the greater good of college hockey rather than just what's best for his school.

Minnesota backed out of their deal with the team that isn't in the North Star Cup gets two game against Minnesota at home. Bemidji State so far  is the only team to get two home games against Minnesota, while Duluth and St. Cloud got home and home series with Minnesota.

Next rule the B1G will come up with is, only B1G teams can have drafted players.

Minnesota backed out of their deal with the team that isn't in the North Star Cup gets two game against Minnesota at home. Bemidji State so far  is the only team to get two home games against Minnesota, while Duluth and St. Cloud got home and home series with Minnesota.

Next rule the B1G will come up with is, only B1G teams can have drafted players.

while mn is guilty of a lot of things, this isn't one of them. Those home and home series are agreed upon by the other schools. Instead of having a 2 game home series for one year, they have 2 home and home series for 2 years.

I personally hate the home and home concept, it is better for the schools because there is a level of stability from a revenue standpoint and there is a reduction in expenses. 

while mn is guilty of a lot of things, this isn't one of them. Those home and home series are agreed upon by the other schools. Instead of having a 2 game home series for one year, they have 2 home and home series for 2 years.

I personally hate the home and home concept, it is better for the schools because there is a level of stability from a revenue standpoint and there is a reduction in expenses. 

It's bogus, but in all likelihood UND is one of the teams that voted for it along with BC, BU, DU and the few others able to get blue chips.  Big Ten really wasted their surprise ability to usurp the rest of college hockey on a non-issue.  This alone doesn't help them, and now everyone will suspect them of having something else cooking.  Personally,  I was still wait and see on whether or not Big Ten was good or bad for college hockey as a whole (WCHA destruction not withstanding),  but this seals the deal.

• Upvote 1

I agree on the first point on revenue stabilization but wouldn't it increase expenses by having to make two one-night trips instead of one two-night trip? Though admittedly its two bus rides vs. one and I'm probably missing something, just not sure what it is.

I agree on the first point on revenue stabilization but wouldn't it increase expenses by having to make two one-night trips instead of one two-night trip? Though admittedly its two bus rides vs. one and I'm probably missing something, just not sure what it is.

well, you also have to remember that there is no hotel, eliminate at least 3 meals and there is less cost for the bussing and countless other expenses that are incurred due to having to house kids overnight.

Edited by bale31

It's bogus, but in all likelihood UND is one of the teams that voted for it along with BC, BU, DU and the few others able to get blue chips.  Big Ten really wasted their surprise ability to usurp the rest of college hockey on a non-issue.  This alone doesn't help them, and now everyone will suspect them of having something else cooking.  Personally,  I was still wait and see on whether or not Big Ten was good or bad for college hockey as a whole (WCHA destruction not withstanding),  but this seals the deal.

Nope, UND didn't vote for it nor did any team in the NCHC

• Upvote 3

well, you also have to remember that there is no hotel, eliminate at least 3 meals and there is less cost for the bussing and countless other expenses that are incurred due to having to house kids overnight.

I guess I assumed they stayed overnight at least one night but I guess it would make sense that they would bus up in the morning and then leave after the game. I see where you're coming from now.

I guess I assumed they stayed overnight at least one night but I guess it would make sense that they would bus up in the morning and then leave after the game. I see where you're coming from now.

Not that anyone is really concerned, but I can confirm that this is the case.  SCSU pushed to make it a home-and-home with Minnesota every other year instead of a home series with Minnesota once every four years.

Year One: Play Minnesota in first round of North Star Cup (No other series with Minnesota)
Year Two: No North Star Cup (Home-and-home with Minnesota)
Year Three: Play BSU/UMD/MSUM in first round of North Star Cup (Series at Minnesota)
Year Four: Play BSU/UMD/MSUM in first round of North Star Cup (Home-and-home with Minnesota)

Just in.  Donny and the Pig 10 want a new college hockey rule that would cap  the maximum age of incoming student athletes at  twenty.   The NCHC and the WCHA both oppose the rule change.    Last I checked, there are lots of young adults who wait more than a few years before going to college.  A slightly older player makes for a much more exciting game.  As I always have said, if I wanted to go to a high school hockey game like The Don apparently wants to play, I'd go to a high school hockey game.

Cripes almighty.  The guy's squad, and the league in which they play,  drop off of the college hockey radar and all they can do is cry, cry cry. 

Edited by NorthDakotaHockey
  • Upvote 3

http://danmyers.blogspot.com/2015/11/don-lucia-opines-on-all-things.html  

Wow, old Lucia Pet is one arrogant douche.

Despite all of his arguments that he says are about what's best for the kids, this is what it all boils down to.  Myers got him to admit it:

I continued, saying that in the eyes of some, this rule is self-serving because Minnesota is trying to eliminate recruiting advantages smaller schools have gained over the last two decades by getting these older players.
“So they are looking out for their program, and I am looking out for ours," he said.  

Edited by dagies
  • Upvote 1

The B1G showing their true colors.

The B1G wants age restriction on players and then they are complaining that they have to recruit players younger and younger. Not surprised this was all started by Lucia after he lost to Union in the National Title game.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/11/24_big_ten_legislation_raises.php

When Union won the national championship two years ago against Minnesota, the seeds of this legislation may have been germinated. But Union only had two 24-year olds on the roster at the time (one who turned 24 at the Frozen Four), and no 25-year olds.

I loved this paragraph from the College Hockey News article.  What CHN failed to mention is that Union's opponent that night also had two 24-year olds on its roster.  In fact, they were the two oldest players on the ice (Jake Parenteau and Tom Serratore, both of whom turned 25 a couple of months after the championship game).   

• Upvote 4

Here's more.

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN Nov 25

Checked w/ NCAA rep. The only hockey conference w/ voting power on the council is the B10. The other 5 hockey-only conferences have no vote

Oh, and the Big 10 vote counts FOUR times, because they are an autonomy conference.

About 1/3 of college hockey teams have no representation on NCAA council voting on B10 legislation.

So, a vote that could have an adverse effect on mostly smaller programs will be conducted without representation from most smaller programs.

And it means the ACC, SEC, Big12, Pac12, they could all have a say on this Big 10 hockey legislation.

So BC could ask the ACC to vote a certain way, for example, but it's up to the ACC rep on that council to actually vote for the entire conf

The more I learn, the more I'm convinced that if the big schools are aligned in ideology, they'll be able to do whatever the hell they want.

Jashvina Shah@icehockeystick Nov 25

Or maybe the Big Ten did this just to prove a point that they can and will do whatever they want...

So basically a conference that cares not at all about hockey (the Big 10) could ruin college hockey. Fantastic

I'm more worried about the precedent this is setting than the actual rule that was proposed.

I feel like the Big Ten is a child who's toy broke. He's unhappy so he takes away everyone else's toy so no one else can be happy too

Feels like the Big Ten is doing this to make a statement & prove they can flex their muscles. doubt they care for college hockey as a whole

Believe it or not, college hockey’s success equally depends on the success of its smaller programs as it does with the larger ones.

Why are you honestly letting a conference that can’t even fix its own tournament determine what the rest of college hockey can do?

ASU is against the B1G legislation.

http://www.cronkitesports.com/asu-hockey-powers-reacts-to-big-ten-legislation-proposal/

“We are not for the legislation, we like it the way it is,” ASU head coach Greg Powers said. “For the same reasons the rest of college hockey likes it. Most importantly, I think you’re limiting opportunity to kids if you pass this and we’re a program that has a lot of kids that fell into that boat.

“Some kids need that extra year to earn the opportunity to play college hockey and I think it’s wrong to take that away from them,” Powers said.

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN 15h15 hours ago

This is important. ASU could influence Pac-12 vote. If so, that would balance out the 4 B10 votes.

Ryan Kennedy on the B1G proposal.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/big-ten-ignites-firestorm-of-controversy-in-ncaa-hockey/

WCHA is against the B1G proposal.

Jack Hittinger@jackhitts Nov 25

Just talked to WCHA commish Bill Robertson today. As expected, he said he and the WCHA are against the Big Ten's proposal.

Edited by cberkas

If this proposal passes, I wonder how it would effect hockey player graduation rates.  I don't think schools will actually stop bringing in 21-year-old freshman.  That means that freshman only gets to play 3 years of college hockey.  Does said player stick around for their senior year of college and pay their own way to get a degree?  Doubtful.

If this proposal passes, I wonder how it would effect hockey player graduation rates.  I don't think schools will actually stop bringing in 21-year-old freshman.  That means that freshman only gets to play 3 years of college hockey.  Does said player stick around for their senior year of college and pay their own way to get a degree?  Doubtful.

I think the bigger question is, if this proposal gets passed, what else will the B1G do to stack the deck in their favor.   

• Upvote 2