SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

B1G.

I know you don't know much about college hockey so I'll help you out. There are 6 conferences in college hockey. The Big 10 was the 5th best conference of these 6 last season and while this season has to play out the best they could probably hope for would be to move past the WCHA for 4th.

• Downvote 1

I know you don't know much about college hockey so I'll help you out. There are 6 conferences in college hockey. The Big 10 was the 5th best conference of these 6 last season and while this season has to play out the best they could probably hope for would be to move past the WCHA for 4th.

This is the problem with college hockey. All schools and conferences need to go out of their way to try recruit another 15-20 schools to start college hockey proprograms and create one or two more conferences. And a majority of them need to be full D1 schools with decent fan/alumni bases that will help grow the popularity of the sport. 

This is the problem with college hockey. All schools and conferences need to go out of their way to try recruit another 15-20 schools to start college hockey proprograms and create one or two more conferences. And a majority of them need to be full D1 schools with decent fan/alumni bases that will help grow the popularity of the sport. 

Agree. I said when the Big 10 was formed for hockey that if in the next 4-5 years it doesn't result in the addition of several additional programs it will have been terrible for all of college .................................as opposed to those who declared immediately that it wrecked college hockey.

Agree. I said when the Big 10 was formed for hockey that if in the next 4-5 years it doesn't result in the addition of several additional programs it will have been terrible for all of college .................................as opposed to those who declared immediately that it wrecked college hockey.

Pitting B1G schools against each other I think will be good for them in time.  Who knows though. 

Pitting B1G schools against each other I think will be good for them in time.  Who knows though. 

Unfortunately they are kind of caught in a catch 22 right now. With Wisconsin and Michigan State at low points in their programs and Ohio State never really being 100% committed to winning, and Michigan a little down when the Big 10 conference began playing hockey that left Penn State who is doing things right and building excitement around their program....but they are a new program with some growing pains and Minnesota who was and is one of the premier programs in college hockey to carry the flag. The first season was mediocre as a conference and last season was a complete disaster so now they are at the point where these kids that are being recruited and worried about their development and listening to their "family advisors" are thinking twice about the Big 10 as they won't be facing top competition as often  as they would in Hockey East and the NCHC.

With the conference on a definite down cycle right now the best thing that could happen would be for a few additional schools to add hockey to build some excitement.

Every other school in the conference has at least 1 if not 2 club hockey teams currently.

Iowa has quite a few USHL teams and Lincoln draws extremely well so Iowa and Nebraska would be naturals as would Illinois and Indiana.

Unfortunately they are kind of caught in a catch 22 right now. With Wisconsin and Michigan State at low points in their programs and Ohio State never really being 100% committed to winning, and Michigan a little down when the Big 10 conference began playing hockey that left Penn State who is doing things right and building excitement around their program....but they are a new program with some growing pains and Minnesota who was and is one of the premier programs in college hockey to carry the flag. The first season was mediocre as a conference and last season was a complete disaster so now they are at the point where these kids that are being recruited and worried about their development and listening to their "family advisors" are thinking twice about the Big 10 as they won't be facing top competition as often  as they would in Hockey East and the NCHC.

With the conference on a definite down cycle right now the best thing that could happen would be for a few additional schools to add hockey to build some excitement.

Every other school in the conference has at least 1 if not 2 club hockey teams currently.

Iowa has quite a few USHL teams and Lincoln draws extremely well so Iowa and Nebraska would be naturals as would Illinois and Indiana.

It's very unlikely that Nebraska gets a hockey team any time in the near future. UNO cut football to ensure that hockey could be their cash cow going forward. Both schools are the the same university system. Lincoln wouldn't be stealing fans from UNO by any means, but it is a lot of money to spend that could just go towards football instead. It's kind of a "you guys get football, we get hockey" type of situation. Who knows though. It could happen, but not until there is a generational shift in both Lincoln's administration and the U of Nebraska board of regents. 

I think Rutgers and Illinois are the two Big 10 schools that are most likely to get hockey. They would be wise to extend an invitation to Arizona State as a hockey-only member as well IMO.

It's very unlikely that Nebraska gets a hockey team any time in the near future. UNO cut football to ensure that hockey could be their cash cow going forward. Both schools are the the same university system. Lincoln wouldn't be stealing fans from UNO by any means, but it is a lot of money to spend that could just go towards football instead. It's kind of a "you guys get football, we get hockey" type of situation. Who knows though. It could happen, but not until there is a generational shift in both Lincoln's administration and the U of Nebraska board of regents. 

I think Rutgers and Illinois are the two Big 10 schools that are most likely to get hockey. They would be wise to extend an invitation to Arizona State as a hockey-only member as well IMO.

i would tthink Big Red will do what it wants.

• Upvote 1

This guy is a big hockey fan.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205707880