SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

Seriously an assistant Principal at a pre school could have come up with a better process.

You want name submissions then

1. have the UND Alumni Foundation send out an email to their alumni list with a secure link for them to be able enter their submissions and also send out postcards to those who may not use the computer that often with directions on who they can email to receive the same link for them to submit their names

2. UND can send an email to current students and faculty with the same info.

That is it. Not that difficult. I don't care what Jethro from NDSU thinks would be a "funny" name.

Committee and Prez pick out 2 or 3 names, check with the marketing experts to make sure the name and logo will be marketable and follow the same process as above.

• Upvote 1

Seriously an assistant Principal at a pre school could have come up with a better process.

1. have the UND Alumni Foundation send out an email to their alumni list with a secure link for them to be able enter their submissions and also send out postcards to those who may not use the computer that often with directions on who they can email to receive the same link for them to submit their names

2. UND can send an email to current students with the same info.

That is it. Not that difficult. I don't care what Jethro from NDSU thinks would be a "funny" name.

Committee and Prez pick out 2 or 3 names, check with the marketing experts to make sure the name and logo will be marketable and follow the same process as above.

for everyone to put their top two choices i wish they would put what they think their/the logo would be because it has to make und money or else it is pretty much useless....for my two picks the fighting norse the logo would be a viking profile (minus the horns) and for the nokotas a horse head profile. so for names like the badlanders, blizzard, spirit, and warriors what would your logo be?

From what I hear around campus, a lot of students are pulling for 1) "Fighting Sioux/Sioux" (Even though they realize it's a futile effort) 2) "Tribe," which I like and in fact submitted.  To say Tribe is strictly related to "Sioux" or any other Native American nickname/logo is a stretch.  Tribe can mean any group of people, including the entirety of the University of North Dakota. Simple Google dictionary definition defines tribe as "communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect" I would understand if they didn't want to have any feathers or anything of the like on the logo because it would obviously be relating to the Fighting Sioux....but whatever....that's the NCAA I suppose.  I also submitted (As my joke/throw away submission) Fighting Irish; my rationale being: "If Notre Dame can get away with it for 88 years, why can't we?", hope they at least get a laugh out of it. 

#RollTribeRoll

Trailblazers (AKA Blazers). 

- Embraces ND history (Lewis & Clark)

- Enhances the school's image as a leader

- With "blaze" in the name, it would be possible to incorporate the UND flame symbol.

- It doesn't matter that there is an NBA team with the name (there are already other teams with the name Jets, Thunder, Warriors, and others that have been mentioned).

• Upvote 1

They are actually behind if they are just getting to it this afternoon.  I've gotten texts from FU grads about it and it made Fark plus a few other sites.  The colossal amount of idiotic and offensive stuff they are going to have to sort through is going to be mind blowing.  Not too mention the FU mensa club has already posted some of their best ideas.  The anonymous thing was not the way to go.

Isn't this an oxymoron?

It's an oxymoron, but without the oxy.

Democracy can be slow and messy.  Anonymous balloting is the norm, and 'poll taxes' (i.e., any burden imposed on the free exercise of the right to vote) are strictly verboten.  This is pretty much the only way UND could deliver on its oft-stated promise of inclusion and public input.  Remember that there are plenty of ND taxpayers who feel that they have as much ownership and say over the state's flagship institution but who would be excluded from the relatively narrow class of eligible individuals you describe.  Junk submissions (which may number in the hundreds or thousands, with many lacking in taste) are obviously seen as an acceptable cost of doing business.

The subsequent "vote" will likely be quite different in scope, and you may find that more to your liking.

• Upvote 1

I am actually glad they added the description option where you can tell them why you choose the nickname, like for me I put since there is no DI team with the name, plus with the GFAFB, and UND's aviation program Jets could be a good name.  

I like Predators for it's double meaning.  One, it recognize UND's nation's leading unmanned aviation program/AF's unmanned mission at GFAFB.  Two, it recognizes the only real predators (and guess who that was, wink-wink) of the bison on the plains.  I do like Jets or Flyers too though. 

Warriors.  Easy tie-in to Air Force Base, veterans who have graduated from the university, while having a tie to the previous nickname for the 'No Name' crowd.

Uh, not that I agree, but I can see Warriors being tied to Native Americans (not that it's a word unique necessarily to NA)  and thus UND not being too comfortable with it for PC reasons.  Silly stretch I know but I can see it happening. 

The biggest thing to me is not the nickname it's the logo and design. Needs to be cool enough for people to purchase merchandise and look good on jerseys. I'm more interested to see that than the actual nickname. 

As for the nickname i like just staying North Dakota, but I really believe UND needs to just move on. For that reason I don't think that should even be an option for vote. I think it would win, but I don't think that is best for UND long term.

I like Roughriders and Jets a lot simply because I think you could create some great logos with those. I don't think having the Red River Roughriders or the Winnipeg Jets hurts either name, if anything it actual helps it because there is already a little familiarity in the area with those names. No one outside of Grand Forks thinks Red River high school when they hear Roughriders so the market for that name is wide open. There are others that are good, but I like those best of the names if heard thrown out.

• Upvote 1

Uh, not that I agree, but I can see Warriors being tied to Native Americans (not that it's a word unique necessarily to NA)  and thus UND not being too comfortable with it for PC reasons.  Silly stretch I know but I can see it happening. 

I think that the fact that there are 28 colleges around the country using Warriors, and one of the criteria they are using is being unique, is a bigger factor in not choosing Warriors.

• Upvote 1