SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

I submitted:

1.  Roughriders.   I think it's associated with the state and should be used for a nickname,

2.  Flickertails.  I'm going to catch he// for this....but, I thought about it and I believe that it follows with tradition and is also representative of the state.

However, I am holding out for the Screaming Weasels.

If you are "holding out" for Screaming Weasels, why submit two choices, neither of which is indeed "Screaming Weasels"?

One thing that kind of bugs me is listening to Goehring on UND Sports Weekly, he said that once the names have been narrowed down to 3 or 4, everyone will have an opportunity to vote. Everyone?? I have no problem with letting anyone under the sun make suggestions, because there may be a name no one has thought of. But when it comes down to actually selecting the name, I think that only stakeholders in UND atletics (Grand Forks residents, UND students, UND alumni, Champions Club members, and season ticket holders) should be allowed to decide what name UND athletic teams will be known as. I don't want some guy from Texas, a UND hating Gopher fan in Edina, or some idiot that is a regular UND basher on Bisonville to decide the nickname that UND will go by from here on out.

That makes sense

One thing that kind of bugs me is listening to Goehring on UND Sports Weekly, he said that once the names have been narrowed down to 3 or 4, everyone will have an opportunity to vote.  Everyone?? I have no problem with letting anyone under the sun make suggestions, because there may be a name no one has thought of.  But when it comes down to actually selecting the name, I think that only stakeholders in UND atletics (Grand Forks residents, UND students, UND alumni, Champions Club members, and season ticket holders) should be allowed to decide what name UND athletic teams will be known as.  I don't want some guy from Texas, a UND hating Gopher fan in Edina, or some idiot that is a regular UND basher on Bisonville to decide the nickname that UND will go by from here on out. 

In other places committee members have said that the vote will be made by UND stakeholders rather than the general public.  They just haven't figured out exactly how that is going to happen.  It will probably be the stakeholder groups that were identified by the other committee, so UND staff would probably be added to your list.

In other places committee members have said that the vote will be made by UND stakeholders rather than the general public.  They just haven't figured out exactly how that is going to happen.  It will probably be the stakeholder groups that were identified by the other committee, so UND staff would probably be added to your list.

I certainly hope you are right.  And yes, I meant to include UND staff as well.

Um, we do have more sports than just hockey... :silly:

And what other sport wears a large crest across their chest other than the hockey team? Zero. Every other team has "North Dakota" across their chest. Thus "North Dakota" is maxime superiores, "The Very Best"

Over ten k names were submitted yesterday according to uncle Pete

No doubt 9k+ fall under the definition of "unique"........

This process in just another example of the magic that is Kelley.

• Upvote 2

Only one with any real brand presence is the team in the CFL and they are in Canada. Also, their most recognizable player is none other than Weston Dressler and even Greg Hardin also nows plays for them. I bet UND could do some cool things with Weston and the Roughrider name. No one knows about some USHL team or minor league baseball teams. Therefore to me, Roughriders is unique. I don't get the Rid River argument, and I sure as heck don't care if some USHL team or Minor League Baseball team uses it. That is just as insignifcant as the Red River HS argument.

Also take a look at the list of college nicknames and see how many Bison there are. When I hear Bison I think NDSU and there are like 6 other schools that use that name. Your brand is only as strong as you make it and UNDs will be greater than any HS or Minor league organizations.

I like your Nokota name and logo potential, but I agree with what someone else said. It doesn't quite roll off the tongue that well.

#1. Roughriders. Feels strong and is a name that would be a unique D-I moniker.

#2. Nokotas. For the North Dakota only/Nodaks crowd. Also a combination of the state name that is unique and would actually lend itsel to a good logo.

No nickname, Roughriders, or Nokotas. Everything else would be disappointing to me. I initially leaned towards Roughriders but Nokotas has grown up. Please, no Nodaks. I don't know anybody who grew up in the state who actually uses that term. I'm actually insulted and think the person knows little about the state when I hear NoDak being used. I'd be perfectly fine with no nickname. Do we really need one?

No nickname, Roughriders, or Nokotas. Everything else would be disappointing to me. I initially leaned towards Roughriders but Nokotas has grown up. Please, no Nodaks. I don't know anybody who grew up in the state who actually uses that term. I'm actually insulted and think the person knows little about the state when I hear NoDak being used. I'd be perfectly fine with no nickname. Do we really need one?

I know many North Dakotans who say Nodak.  I do all the time

• Upvote 1

I know many North Dakotans who say Nodak. I do all the time

Many is defined as innumerable, countless and/or majority.

Doesn't fits in with your example. I can count on one hand the times I have heard someone actually from ND say that.

IMO should not even be considered.

So let's say the committee suggests a name that has never been suggested and is totally unique and fits their criteria- I'm thinking the traditional Midwest thinkers would totally trash it - most are right out of Lake Wobegon - they aren't into being ground breaking or "above average". Frankly I really can't think of any scenario - either a name that has been out there forever or a name that is totally unique - that won't have some very vocal negativism. UND obviously knows this and just has to prepare everyone involved for a very difficult transition.  

The fact Nokotas has this weird following on here blows my mind.  It is a mouthful at best, and realistically is only unique because no other school would be dumb enough to use it as a moniker.  Nobody will know or care about it anymore when they actually learn its a horse.  Instead of re-inventing the wheel with a "prideful", semi-state based name we are going to be lumped in with the Banana-Slugs, Chanticleers, and Kangaroos in the why the hell are they called that category. 

Nodaks is lazy and repetitive.  Taking emotion out of it and picking on some of our neighbors ask yourself if these are good nicknames worth building a brand around:  Minnesota Minnies, Wisconsin Wiscos, South Dakota Sodaks?  Anyone who thinks Nodaks is better than no nickname and worth alienating the fan base further over is approaching this all wrong.  

Warriors/Roughriders may be used by other universities however the LSU Tigers have a pretty good brand despite the fact the Detroit Tigers and a million other schools use the same nickname.  The logo should be unique/distinguishable, and with both of these nicknames this is very doable. 

I'm certain we'll end up with a nickname that is tolerable at the end of this process, however the traction Nodaks/Nokotas have received on here has me a little scared for what we actually may end up with.

Good points....

- Don't think Nodaks should be a choice at all.

- I like Nokota potential, but I can't get past University of North Dakota Nokota. That sounds awful, so ultimately that is a no.

- I like Warriors, but Marquette University gave up that same name years ago for the same reason we are giving up Fighting Sioux so I don't think that       has a chance

- Comes back to Roughriders out of those 4.... North Dakota has long been referred to as the Roughrider state and I maintain that is a sure bet top 3 choice to go to a vote. 

• Upvote 2