SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

I'm having a hard time deciding which nickname choices to submit.  I've narrowed it down to three categories, with three choices within each category:

Category #1:   War-based fighting groups that never set foot in North Dakota, and have no historical influence on our state:

A:     Roughriders

B:     Russian Red Army

C:     Isis    (at least I hope they're not here)

Category #2:   Local Electric Power Cooperatives

A:     Nodaks

B:     Sheyenne Valleys

C:     Ottertails

Category #3:   Dumb sounding rhymes:

A:    North Dakota Nokotas

B:    North Dakota Togas

C:    North Dakota Abe Vigodas

On second thought, I think i'll go with just remaining as North Dakota- no crazy nickname needed.

My first choice would be

North Dakota

Big green

Nodaks

Force of the north

I would settle for:

Coyotes

Bluegills

Combiners

Honkers

Harvesters

Mallards

Tornados

Walleyes

Nokotas

Badlanders

Roosters

Mustangs

Coyotes??  I think that one is already taken by folks down in Vermillion!!!

I know many North Dakotans who say Nodak.  I do all the time

I hear it quite a bit out here, but really there are are a lot of ND things that already use the Nodak phrase like sports teams and businesses and I think the education system still uses nodak.edu...it's probably more common than people think.

That said, I think it sucks and would puke if that became the name.

If we are going to start using nicknames that already exist locally (Rough Riders or Coyotes) - which is senseless to me, why dont we go ahead and use Pioneers, which makes the most sense for our region. Do you know why? Because the hockey folks would have a fit.

Since Pioneers wont happen, lets embrace Sodbusters. Its about our history, unique, and strong. Reflect on it a bit.

The band will learn anything Dr Brooks and Tammy asks them

Why were farmers who settled in the Great Plains called sodbusters?
CancelSave
'' already exists. Would you like to merge '' into it?

Ahh, Badlands from Darkness on the Edge of Town album (late 70s), arguably Springsteen's finest.  I'm starting to like both Badlanders and Sodbusters, they're both growing on me and seem to fit the criteria put out for selecting a new name.    

CancelMERGE

Two of the most important attributes laid out by the committee in the first survey that is mentioned on the new survey are 

1. Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s.
  2. Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future.

The best name that fits both these criteria is "Nokota."  No other school, or team in the world, has that that name and logo for a nickname.  There are tons of Warriors, Jets, Flyers, even Roughriders.  But there would be only one Nokota (or Nokes).  Also, this is our state horse.  It is representative of the state.  Nokota are unique to North Dakota.  One of the many thinkgs that made "Fighting Sioux" such a great name is that is was unique and it honored the heritage of our state.  Nokota does both of these as well.  And is why I suubmitted it as my suggestion.

Wyld Stallyns of Bill and Ted fame.

• Upvote 1

I actually submitted Peacemakers as in the Colt Single Action Army and Honkers. 

I will puke if it's roughriders because that means as a collective group we have zero imagination or original thoughts.  It's not that the name itself is bad but stealing from a local high school and it is in no way unique. 

I still like einherjar and you could do a lot with a logo for it but I didn't submit it because it has no chance. 

Something about us folks from the Dakota's, we aren't very good with change.

If we are going to start using nicknames that already exist locally (Rough Riders or Coyotes) - which is senseless to me, why dont we go ahead and use Pioneers, which makes the most sense for our region. Do you know why? Because the hockey folks would have a fit.

Since Pioneers wont happen, lets embrace Sodbusters. Its about our history, unique, and strong. Reflect on it a bit.

Homesteaders

I actually submitted Peacemakers as in the Colt Single Action Army and Honkers.

I will puke if it's roughriders because that means as a collective group we have zero imagination or original thoughts. It's not that the name itself is bad but stealing from a local high school and it is in no way unique.

I still like einherjar and you could do a lot with a logo for it but I didn't submit it because it has no chance.

Something about us folks from the Dakota's, we aren't very good with change.

If you want to go with the Norse theme, how about the Kraken. We could use this in our intro:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIVv1iFVC0kAx.23mWRH;_ylu=X3oDMTEyc2lxbGx1BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDTU9VUzI3MgRncG9zAzE-?p=kraken&vid=a6e455cf4563142b4a6248beaf6686a1&l=1%3A30&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608046870031829839%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dgb2zIR2rvRQ&tit=Clash+of+the+Titans+Release+The+Kraken+%5BHD%5D&c=0&sigr=11b23rfe7&sigt=11bj7otuc&sigi=11rt11u5e&age=1269639590&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=iphone&tt=b

• Upvote 1

I agree withe the sentiment expressed above that we just not play the ncaa's game andrefrain from assuming an identity that we have no tradition with. I have "voted" and my preferences so stated were 1. Nodaks and 2. no name at all.