SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

http://und.edu/news/2014/09/nickname-logo-task-force.cfm

I don't always make stuff up...a lot, but not always.  

I may have misunderstood your original point.  Yes, the original committee was tasked to come up with a process, and there was a consultant to that committee (O'Keefe, who is also a consultant to the new committee) that, I think, specialized in marketing of sports nicknames/logos.  I thought that was the consultant you were referring to.

So the record is clear, I wasn't accusing you of making anything up.

Taking into account it must be unique, represent the college and the area, I submitted:

Airmen - thought this was a name that could work out, especially when I read the Air Force's Airman's Creed:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airman%27s_Creed  I think this would be quite fitting of what we want UND sports to represent.

Aeronauts - a very unique name.  I prefer Airmen much more, but was trying to find another name for "pilot" that was unique among college nicknames as Flyers is already taken.  I also like Aviators, but prefer these names.

I really like Aeronauts

For those suggesting Rough Riders, just a head's up that it is not unique.  It is currently used by a community college in Arizona.   I truly believe the committee will only consider unique names.

Here is a current list for anyone interested:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames

I'm pretty sure the fact that the local high school team in UND's back yard uses the name is a little more relevant to the uniqueness issue than some obscure community college in Arizona.  I agree that it's not unique and shouldn't be chosen, but not because of the reason you listed.  

In my opinion, I don't think unique means that no other team anywhere can have it.  It just can't be a nickname where a sizable percentage of people (that relate to, or interact with, the UND community) will think about another team when they hear it.  That's why, for me, nicknames like Jets, Oilers, Roughriders, Warriors, etc. don't pass the unique test.  But if only some obscure community college somewhere in Arizona uses a name, I don't think that's reason enough to automatically exclude it from consideration.  

Maybe, but don't you think what the people in Grand Forks thinks kind of matters?  I won't go on my Roughriders rant again, except to say we can do better than stealing the nickname of the local high school team.  Great nickname if Red River HS hadn't taken it first.  But they did.  Let's move on.

It already is.  In the same state....and in the same city.  Let's move on from that one.

I really disagree with this statement. I think having Roughriders already familiar to people in Grand Forks plays to it's advantage. Local people are familiar with it and like it, it's not a national brand nickname everyone knows, ties in with the state, and is unique. I think some people need to get past "Red River uses it so we can't." If anything that helps with brand familiarity. This would be like saying we shouldn't be the polar bears because that is what Larimore High School is.......who cares what high schools nicknames are, they have no brand presence unless you went to that high school. UNDs will be a national brand.

Ultimately i don't care what is chosen as I said I think logo design is more important, but to me roughriders is a top 3 choice and i think it will be one of the final 3 choices to be voted on. 

I said before, if UND is the University of North Dakota Roughriders and we end up with a logo like the one in the link below I am cool with that. They'll be upset people no matter what the choice is, but to me Roughriders is a solid name and the Red River HS argument is actually a positive to choosing it. 

Let's get to the vote......ROLL RIDERS!!!!

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/316331012011/Cedar_Rapids_RoughRiders/2011/Alternate_Logo

• Upvote 3

The Tribe.

This is a good idea, but I don't think this has much of a chance. Cleveland Indians like to refer to themselves as "the Tribe," and have you seen their logo? I realize you could go a lot of difference ways with a logo design on this, but I just can't see this getting through.

I really disagree with this statement. I think having Roughriders already familiar to people in Grand Forks plays to it's advantage. Local people are familiar with it and like it, it's not a national brand nickname everyone knows, ties in with the state, and is unique. I think some people need to get past "Red River uses it so we can't." If anything that helps with brand familiarity. This would be like saying we shouldn't be the polar bears because that is what Larimore High School is.......who cares what high schools nicknames are, they have no brand presence unless you went to that high school. UNDs will be a national brand.

Ultimately i don't care what is chosen as I said I think logo design is more important, but to me roughriders is a top 3 choice and i think it will be one of the final 3 choices to be voted on. 

I said before, if UND is the University of North Dakota Roughriders and we end up with a logo like the one in the link below I am cool with that. They'll be upset people no matter what the choice is, but to me Roughriders is a solid name and the Red River HS argument is actually a positive to choosing it. 

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/316331012011/Cedar_Rapids_RoughRiders/2011/Alternate_Logo

Do a quick google search for "Roughrider team" and you will see that there are several teams already called Roughriders.  While it does relate to the state, it is deffinitely not unique.  Any you suggest to have a logo like the Cedar Rapids one?!!  I want something that not only is relative to North Dakota, but is truly unique. 

University of North Dakota Nokota's (Nokes)

I think that they could come up with a pretty sweet logo as well.

Do a quick google search for "Roughrider team" and you will see that there are several teams already called Roughriders.  While it does relate to the state, it is deffinitely not unique.  Any you suggest to have a logo like the Cedar Rapids one?!!  I want something that not only is relative to North Dakota, but is truly unique. 

I think Nodaks sounds better than Nokota"s.  I can barely say University of North Dakota Nokota's.  Say it three times fast :)

• Upvote 1

Are you saying unique to colleges, or unique period?  I would bet that it isn't totally unique, and if it is, I would guess that it won't be inspiring or representative of the state.  Badlanders is unique, but would people deem it inspiring?

The Nickname Committee will evaluate nickname suggestions based on a list of previously suggested attributes, including:

1. Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s.
  2. Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion.
  3. Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future.
  4. Be a unifying and rallying symbol.

I would expect at least unique to college nicknames so that it is "distinctly UND's".  I was simply stating there is another college nickname that uses Rough Riders, which might fail #1 above.

I think Nodaks sounds better than Nokota"s.  I can barely say University of North Dakota Nokota's.  Say it three times fast :)

All animal monickers are lame IMHO. Need proof? Look 75 miles to the south of UND.

Are you saying unique to colleges, or unique period?  I would bet that it isn't totally unique, and if it is, I would guess that it won't be inspiring or representative of the state.  Badlanders is unique, but would people deem it inspiring?

I'm inspired by the tough-as-nails people it took to settle on such land!!!

Nodaks, while I am not a big fan of, I believe is the only other name that would work.  You could probably get by without even coming up with a new lgo and just use the interlocking ND.  But one of the attributes the commitee is looking for is "being a unifying and rallying symbol".  Does Nodaks really get me that excited?  Not really.

Only one with any real brand presence is the team in the CFL and they are in Canada. Also, their most recognizable player is none other than Weston Dressler and even Greg Hardin also nows plays for them. I bet UND could do some cool things with Weston and the Roughrider name. No one knows about some USHL team or minor league baseball teams. Therefore to me, Roughriders is unique. I don't get the Rid River argument, and I sure as heck don't care if some USHL team or Minor League Baseball team uses it. That is just as insignifcant as the Red River HS argument. 

Also take a look at the list of college nicknames and see how many Bison there are. When I hear Bison I think NDSU and there are like 6 other schools that use that name. Your brand is only as strong as you make it and UNDs will be greater than any HS or Minor league organizations. 

I like your Nokota name and logo potential, but I agree with what someone else said. It doesn't quite roll off the tongue that well.

• Upvote 1

Nodaks, while I am not a big fan of, I believe is the only other name that would work.  You could probably get by without even coming up with a new lgo and just use the interlocking ND.  But one of the attributes the commitee is looking for is "being a unifying and rallying symbol".  Does Nodaks really get me that excited?  Not really.

Neither does Nakotas.

Neither does Nakotas.

If there was a name that was in our back pocket that everyone was on board with, it would be great.  Unfortunately that is not the case.  The new name is not going to get 100% approval and support the day it is announced.  Some poeple will love it, others will want what they voted for, and others will still hold true and be "Fighting Sioux Forever" fans.  This process isn't going to be pretty and certainly is not going to end pretty as well.  I guess we can only hope that once a new name is selected, we can all rally around it and support it.  Easier said than done obviously.

I'm inspired by the tough-as-nails people it took to settle on such land!!!

Hey, I'm on board with Badlanders.   I do think you could come up with a cool logo with an old west type person with character.  I also think that while it doesn't roll off the tongue perfectly, I think it could become second nature.  I bet nobody thought Cornhuskers sounded like it rolled off the tongues right away either, and now anything else but that would seem strange for Nebraska.  I could also get on board with Explorers or Trailblazers, depending on whether you are a Chevy or Ford fan.

Hey, I'm on board with Badlanders.   I do think you could come up with a cool logo with an old west type person with character.  I also think that while it doesn't roll off the tongue perfectly, I think it could become second nature.  I bet nobody thought Cornhuskers sounded like it rolled off the tongues right away either, and now anything else but that would seem strange for Nebraska.  I could also get on board with Explorers or Trailblazers, depending on whether you are a Chevy or Ford fan.

"All names sound strange the first time you hear 'em. What, you telling me people loved the name Blanche the first time they heard it?"

(Props to all who get the reference) :)

• Upvote 1

I really disagree with this statement. I think having Roughriders already familiar to people in Grand Forks plays to it's advantage. Local people are familiar with it and like it, it's not a national brand nickname everyone knows, ties in with the state, and is unique. I think some people need to get past "Red River uses it so we can't." If anything that helps with brand familiarity. This would be like saying we shouldn't be the polar bears because that is what Larimore High School is.......who cares what high schools nicknames are, they have no brand presence unless you went to that high school. UNDs will be a national brand.

I'll admit I hate the idea of Roughriders

Before this is really considered there needs to be a vote of current students past students (RR & Central) I would bet most would not want that to happen

I like the former NIFL Bismarck Roughriders logo better.