SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

In other places committee members have said that the vote will be made by UND stakeholders rather than the general public.  They just haven't figured out exactly how that is going to happen.  It will probably be the stakeholder groups that were identified by the other committee, so UND staff would probably be added to your list.

I seem to remember the same thing you are saying.  Stakeholders would be the ones that vote on the name but this has me a little worried.

Clarification from President Kelley

I appreciate the Committee’s question about what is meant—as stated in the Committee’s charter—by a “public” vote on the nickname. I want to clarify that “public” means anyone who wishes to vote on the selection of a new nickname. So, both the public vote and the preceding suggestion period are intended to be open to anyone who wishes to respond.

http://und.edu/university-public-affairs/nickname/3-25-15.cfm

If University of North Dakota is not one of the three final options, then this entire process is corrupt (which it probably is). That has been far and away the most suggested option I have heard from alumni and fans, and seen on the posting boards. I know it has been submitted, and I'm sure it has been submitted the most. If it is not one of the final options, then we can thank president dip#$&% (the university one, not the country one). University of North Dakota has served well over the past few years; lets just leave it at that.

Moved away from Fighting Sioux - Appeases the PC crowd

Don't replace Fighting Sioux - Appeases the Fans (the good guys)

Boom, Compromise!

• Upvote 1

I've often said that if we are the Lab's, only pyscho's could cheer against us.

The men's teams could be the puppies and the women's teams could be the kittens. How could any opposing fans yell puppies or kittens suck?

All they can do is say, "awwww..."

And, if this trend of futility in football continues, all we can do is say, "awwwwww...."

I think we have a winner!

If University of North Dakota is not one of the three final options, then this entire process is corrupt (which it probably is). That has been far and away the most suggested option I have heard from alumni and fans, and seen on the posting boards. I know it has been submitted, and I'm sure it has been submitted the most. If it is not one of the final options, then we can thank president dip#$&% (the university one, not the country one). University of North Dakota has served well over the past few years; lets just leave it at that.

Moved away from Fighting Sioux - Appeases the PC crowd

Don't replace Fighting Sioux - Appeases the Fans (the good guys)

Boom, Compromise!

So spend all this time gathering results from an initial survey in how a new name should be selected and determine what criteria are important, form a committee to oversee the process, take submissions of tens of thousands of people submitting their ideas and reason for a new nickname, and after all that make just "North Dakota" an option?  While I get your reasoning for wanting it, I highly doubt that UND would go thru all this trouble of trying to select a new name and then make it an option to not have one.  Most nlikely not going to happen.

ALso, what about the people who want to move forward and select a new name that our teams and fans can rally around?  I don't think having no nickname appeases them?

So spend all this time gathering results from an initial survey in how a new name should be selected and determine what criteria are important, form a committee to oversee the process, take submissions of tens of thousands of people submitting their ideas and reason for a new nickname, and after all that make just "North Dakota" an option?  While I get your reasoning for wanting it, I highly doubt that UND would go thru all this trouble of trying to select a new name and then make it an option to not have one.  Most nlikely not going to happen.

ALso, what about the people who want to move forward and select a new name that our teams and fans can rally around?  I don't think having no nickname appeases them?

Money spent in this process should be about getting it done right, and making the best decision that appeases the most people. Not creating change, just to say you did something. Lets say that 30 or even 40% of the submissions are for UND? you don't think that should be a final option for voting, because its not change? Or lets say it is one of the final options and 60 or 70% vote for it; you think the committee should override it because money was invested and they want something different?

The bottom line is when they retired Fighting Sioux, it stung alot of people (Not UNDs fault I know). If this is going to be a voting setup, and they are taking suggestions, the final options should be the names that people suggest the most (providing that they are acceptable and cannot be deemed offensive by the PC crowd). If 90% of the voters pick the UND Howler Monkeys, its the same logic and the majority should rule; but I don't think you will find an overwhelming percentage that will decide on a single name or mascot over the University of North Dakota.

And no, I did not submit the UND Howler Monkeys :)

• Upvote 1

If we don't pick something, something will happen and someone (probably without UND's best interests in mind) will find a less than completely complimentary tag to stick on us. (See: the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers)

I'm sure our wonderfully helpful neighbors to the south are working feverishly to fill the void that'd be open in a "no nickname" world. 

If we don't pick something, something will happen and someone (probably without UND's best interests in mind) will find a less than completely complimentary tag to stick on us. (See: the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers)

I'm sure our wonderfully helpful neighbors to the south are working feverishly to fill the void that'd be open in a "no nickname" world. 

I'm no rocket scientist (as if you needed clarification) but I'm pretty sure the sexually indifferent sons to the south of us will find a way to make fun of any new nickname, if one is chosen. 

Hell, they're even invited to take part in the nickname process.  That alone makes this entire naming process FUBAR.

• Upvote 1