SiouxSports.com Forum

EARLY Departures 2015

AZSIOUX

• 3 months later...

Shocking news.  Bracco is leaving BC.  Not sure what the deal was but he did have three points the other night night against CC. Although he was held pointless in the other 4 games.

he was rumored to be a flight risk from day 1 and before that. one month in and bolt. Sucks to be the kid who didn't get a scholly or make the team because of that. The battle continues between Mj and college 

@JeffCoxSports: A Boston College spokesperson has said that Jerry York will have no comment regarding Jeremy Bracco.

Edited by AZSIOUX

It is really tough to judge without knowing all of the facts.  It may be that school was simply not a fit for him.  Not everyone is suited for college.  It is an extremely challenging journey through college while playing hockey, and if he has never had to manage his time for this many demands he may simply be in over his head.  You can debate whether it is better to leave very early on or tough it out until the end of the semester.  He may have seen the light and realized that his grades wouldn't be good enough at the end of his semester to be able to play next semester.  From a team perspective I feel like it is better for him to leave now than to hang on if his heart isn't really in it.  Maybe BC has a recruit that can come in for spring semester.

It is really tough to judge without knowing all of the facts.  It may be that school was simply not a fit for him.  Not everyone is suited for college.  It is an extremely challenging journey through college while playing hockey, and if he has never had to manage his time for this many demands he may simply be in over his head.  You can debate whether it is better to leave very early on or tough it out until the end of the semester.  He may have seen the light and realized that his grades wouldn't be good enough at the end of his semester to be able to play next semester.  From a team perspective I feel like it is better for him to leave now than to hang on if his heart isn't really in it.  Maybe BC has a recruit that can come in for spring semester.

If I remember correctly, we had this conversation on SiouxSports when there was a Gopher player who left this early a year or two ago.  That guy at least stated he was leaving because of academics.  I think a lot of kids can underestimate beforehand how difficult it is to juggle it all.

Just my opinion, but I can't think of a scenario where it is ok for him to quit this early into the season.

Doesn't matter if school is a fit for him or not. You finish the season like a man and then leave so you don't screw your team over. Quitters quit. 

• Upvote 1

Just my opinion, but I can't think of a scenario where it is ok for him to quit this early into the season.

I think that if I was a member of the team, I would prefer to have someone who really doesn't want to be there to get out.  If he isn't giving it his all, that will show in practice and game situations and then he would be the extra player in the stands and not in the lineup.  He might as well be gone if he isn't committed, and the earlier it happens the better.  If he stays he is just a distraction.  Besides, this way it should allow Jerry York time to bring in another commit for Spring semester and take that scholarship spot (assuming athletic scholarships go semester by semester).  But yes, it does muck up the team continuity and team planning for the coaches.

I would have a different opinion if he was there through 3/4 of the season and then jumped ship.

If you think of him as a college student first, there are some students that come to college and do not last through the first semester.  That might be his situation.

I think that if I was a member of the team, I would prefer to have someone who really doesn't want to be there to get out.  If he isn't giving it his all, that will show in practice and game situations and then he would be the extra player in the stands and not in the lineup.  He might as well be gone if he isn't committed, and the earlier it happens the better.  If he stays he is just a distraction.  Besides, this way it should allow Jerry York time to bring in another commit for Spring semester and take that scholarship spot (assuming athletic scholarships go semester by semester).  But yes, it does muck up the team continuity and team planning for the coaches.

I would have a different opinion if he was there through 3/4 of the season and then jumped ship.

If you think of him as a college student first, there are some students that come to college and do not last through the first semester.  That might be his situation.

Not trying to pretend like I'm morally superior here, but I was taught that you don't quit like that, especially when people are depending on you.

So what if things don't go your way 1.5 months into the semester, whether be in school or hockey? Suck it up and learn from it, you'll be better for it in the end.

Not trying to pretend like I'm morally superior here, but I was taught that you don't quit like that, especially when people are depending on you.

So what if things don't go your way 1.5 months into the semester, whether be in school or hockey? Suck it up and learn from it, you'll be better for it in the end.

I understand your position.  It appears to me that possibly you are viewing this from a team perspective, and I am viewing more from a student perspective.  The student perspective has to be on track in order for the athlete perspective to be on track.  If the student aspect wasn't involved here, I would be 100% in agreement with you.  It is possible that this may all be athlete driven, in which case you would be completely correct.  But I believe that if this is driven by the student part of him, he might as well leave now.  We may never know what is the driver behind this move.

I think you make a good point here Siouxman.  If he's not going to be committed, not going to fully participate as a member of the team, then best to have him remove himself from the team.  I think you're right there.

I think the other point of view is, if you're going to commit to something on the front end, then fully commit to it.   You may find out it's not the choice you prefer but man up and pitch in for both your own good and the good of the team, and then make your move at an appropriate time.

But if you can't do that, then I think you're right....best to just cut the cord now.

I understand your position.  It appears to me that possibly you are viewing this from a team perspective, and I am viewing more from a student perspective.  The student perspective has to be on track in order for the athlete perspective to be on track.  If the student aspect wasn't involved here, I would be 100% in agreement with you.  It is possible that this may all be athlete driven, in which case you would be completely correct.  But I believe that if this is driven by the student part of him, he might as well leave now.  We may never know what is the driver behind this move.

I'm viewing it from both. I guess I've had classes that I've bombed to start the semester in undergrad and my MBA but I don't just quit because they're difficult.

But maybe he was never in it for the schooling, in which case I wish he would have gone MJ immediately. That's kind of my thoughts, he might have thought he could coast through the school part and focus on playing for BC.

You're right though, we'll probably never know.

I'm viewing it from both. I guess I've had classes that I've bombed to start the semester in undergrad and my MBA but I don't just quit because they're difficult.

But maybe he was never in it for the schooling, in which case I wish he would have gone MJ immediately. That's kind of my thoughts, he might have thought he could coast through the school part and focus on playing for BC.

You're right though, we'll probably never know.

Probably not, but to an earlier point of yours, the one explanation I would understand would be medical - him or a family member.  If your parent were gravely sick, I would totally understand leaving school for the semester to be home. 

Then again, he may just be a jerk :shrug: