SiouxSports.com Forum

EARLY Departures 2015

AZSIOUX

Probably not, but to an earlier point of yours, the one explanation I would understand would be medical - him or a family member.  If your parent were gravely sick, I would totally understand leaving school for the semester to be home. 

Then again, he may just be a jerk :shrug:

Good point.  There could be other non-athlete and non-student factors involved here.  At least it happened to one of the two teams that I hope bad luck upon.

I'm viewing it from both. I guess I've had classes that I've bombed to start the semester in undergrad and my MBA but I don't just quit because they're difficult.

But maybe he was never in it for the schooling, in which case I wish he would have gone MJ immediately. That's kind of my thoughts, he might have thought he could coast through the school part and focus on playing for BC.

You're right though, we'll probably never know.

Unfortunately there are some who just are not intellectually capable or sufficiently disciplined to step up their schooling.  That is the sad part.  I have seen too many college athletes interviewed and wondered how the heck they graduated from high school, let alone are in college.

The other thought that occurred to me is that maybe the coaches gave him an ultimatum regarding attending class, grades, or off-ice activities and he decided to take the other road.

Here is an associated article.  http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hockey-east/2015/10/28/9630448/jeremy-bracco-decision-wrong-boston-college-kitchener-rangers-ohl-toronto-maple-leafs-nhl

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately there are some who just are not intellectually capable or sufficiently disciplined to step up their schooling.  That is the sad part.  I have seen too many college athletes interviewed and wondered how the heck they graduated from high school, let alone are in college.

I just remembered that this kid was originally committed to Harvard.  Hard to imagine he's in the intellectually incapable group.  Discipline in the classroom may be another matter.

I'm viewing it from both. I guess I've had classes that I've bombed to start the semester in undergrad and my MBA but I don't just quit because they're difficult.

But maybe he was never in it for the schooling, in which case I wish he would have gone MJ immediately. That's kind of my thoughts, he might have thought he could coast through the school part and focus on playing for BC.

You're right though, we'll probably never know.

Right, and this kid was initially committed to Harvard.  I'm sure his grades are just fine.  He thinks he's on the fast track to the NHL.

Right, and this kid was initially committed to Harvard.  I'm sure his grades are just fine.  He thinks he's on the fast track to the NHL.

Not to disagree with you, but regardless of smarts...if the college or class or professor is not the right fit...it is not going to matter how smart you are with the topic.  Yes, he may have initially committed to Harvard...but if Boston College wasn't a good fit with him...grades certainly could have been an issue.

Not to disagree with you, but regardless of smarts...if the college or class or professor is not the right fit...it is not going to matter how smart you are with the topic.  Yes, he may have initially committed to Harvard...but if Boston College wasn't a good fit with him...grades certainly could have been an issue.

This kid would be taking generals, lets no kid ourselves college is no longer all that hard (at least the general class and most undergrad classes, especially the majors most elite hockey players take).  At least get through the year, then drop out.  Don't leave your squad after 5 games.  York could have, and would brought in another talented player to add depth.  5 games?  

Edited by scpa0305

Exactly, he's not leaving because of grades.  Everyone knew that Kitchener was going to be a very solid team this year he could have went right away and not left his team hanging.  I have no problem with kids going the CHL route but bailing on your squad after 5 games is terrible and shows a lack of character.  I hope the kid stays healthy and all but he's no longer one of my fav's you can say that.

• Upvote 1

Good luck with life!  I don't care how you spin it, he screwed over BC.  Hopefully this will follow him through his career.  You just don't do this.

I agree with you. But, aren't we always being told that "You can't blame the kid for doing what is best for him, so stop complaining about it"? Well, sometimes you CAN blame the kid and this punk should be ashamed of himself. A pox on your house, son. :angry:

Edited by fightingsioux4life

You'd think he would want to get stronger since that is one of the major knocks against him. 0 points against anyone other than a terrible CC team doesn't really scream that he's ready to play against professionals

He won't be playing against professionals, he'll be playing against very good 16-19 year olds.

He won't be playing against professionals, he'll be playing against very good 16-19 year olds.

Exactly.  Take our friend, Mr. Tambellini.  He left here and then went and scored like a thousand goals in the Western league.  Those kinds of numbers aren't going to be possible for someone in NCAA hockey.

Will it benefit Adam, or Bracco?  Possibly.  As you get older you will get stronger.  Your scoring gets you recognized and on you go to the AHL.  Eventually you may make it to the NHL.

But if you aren't one of the very talented players capable of playing for any length of time at the NHL level, it sure is nice to have a big chunk of that college degree out of the way.

yes i get that. The quote from the hockey writers was that the plan was to go to BC for a year to get stronger and then go to the AHL or NHL, and I was responding to your own quote about him thinking he was on the fast track to the NHL

yes i get that. The quote from the hockey writers was that the plan was to go to BC for a year to get stronger and then go to the AHL or NHL, and I was responding to your own quote about him thinking he was on the fast track to the NHL

Oh sure.  He would be at BC for more than one year, just like he'll play this year and next year in Kitchener.

This kid would be taking generals, lets no kid ourselves college is no longer all that hard (at least the general class and most undergrad classes, especially the majors most elite hockey players take).  At least get through the year, then drop out.  Don't leave your squad after 5 games.  York could have, and would brought in another talented player to add depth.  5 games?  

BC is an elite school, a step behind the Ivy's.  It's plenty demanding, even the general classes, especially with the demands of a D1 hockey player.  

BC is an elite school, a step behind the Ivy's.  It's plenty demanding, even the general classes, especially with the demands of a D1 hockey player.  

Absolutely.  Undergrad is still not all that tough.  This kids would simply have to have passing grades, that's all.  Not tough for a kid who could have gotten into Harvard.  Get some C's for the rest of the year and drop out.