SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

Talking to the kids in our area that have been recruited by NDSU and other MVFC and Big Sky schools, it'd be a lie to say that the success 'SU has had doesn't make a good first impression. They have a great story to tell and they do it pretty well.

In the end, though, the decisions about where to sign were based on the schools, the coaching staffs, and the relationships they'd developed during the recruiting process. The sizzle of national TV audiences only lasts so long - ultimately it's the steak that makes a recruit choose one school over another.

On Pat Reusse's show last week he had a college football guy on (don't know who it was) and they talked about NDSUs success.  Very complimentary but spent some time talking about what might have happened if Kill was at UM two years earlier.  They figured he would have gotten many of the top talented players that SU got during Brewster's time.   

I know that has been discussed here regarding the past and looking forward and generally dismissed by SU faithful as sour grapes.  It was interesting to hear it from two guys with no allegiance either way and particularly from Reusse who has been very positive about SUs  on the air and in the paper. 

If NDSU hasn't sent a championship ring to Tim Brewster the last 3 years it is criminal.

Every time Game Day goes to Fargo it kills us. Every time they play on TV it hurts.

There's no reason to dispute that.

But this all reminds me of the Plundering Turds run in the 80s that was followed by our turn in the 90s. What was it-3 of the last 4 head to head was won by the good guys?

It WILL happen again, but we need patience.

• Upvote 1

Every time Game Day goes to Fargo it kills us. Every time they play on TV it hurts.

But this all reminds me of the Plundering Turds run in the 80s that was followed by our turn in the 90s. What was it-3 of the last 4 head to head was won by the good guys?

This is what I tell people who insist that ESPN Game Day visiting Fargo is somehow good for the entire state.  It is good for Imperial Cass County, NDSU and nobody else! :angry:

And yes, we all need to be patient as Bubba continues rebuilding the program the right way.

It certainly hurts us, no one will argue that, and I feel us just making the playoffs compared to their titles isn't going to do much for us either.   To really make a splash, we need to actually win a couple playoff games and at some point, get a signature D1 win.   Right now, we have to start making the playoffs and hoping we make a run and then improve from there.   I can't imagine Bubba can get the best in the land right now, but we can work up to it.   It beats me how NDSU got so good so fast?   Mussman had his problems, but we were just getting smoked for a few years.

Do you guys think UM is the only FBS school that recruits Minnesota or something ? Every Big 10 school recruits Minnesota. If UM missed out on guys like Billy Turner, so did Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State etc.

A lot of these guys that went to NDSU and went on to play in the NFL were not even close to the same quality player their senior year as freshman. NDSU does a better job of developing players than perhaps any college program in the nation. Who knows. Billy Turner could have went to Minnesota, sat behind more talented players, never developed under coach Kramer and Fuchs, started his senior year and been half the player he was at Minnesota as he was at NDSU.

Someone mentioned Paul Cornick. Paul was a walk on at NDSU for christ sakes. NDSU could have even missed out by not offering a scholarship. Again, clearly he was not Big 10 talent coming into his freshman year. NDSU developed him into an NFL player.

Only guy on this run that was a Big 10 player out of high school was Crockett. He had every Big 10 school after him, but his grades were atrocious due to being homeless.

Up until these last few years, I never saw NDSU winning recruiting battles over quality FBS teams. Last year, QB recruit picked NDSU over a full ride at Rutgers. This year it appears Ben Ellefson is staying at NDSU rather than going to Purdue. They have been getting better at recruiting, not worse. When it comes to ND, these young kids are growing up watching NDSU on Saturdays, watching NDSU on ESPN etc. NDSU will dominate recruiting in ND and western Minnesota for years to come.

Do you guys think UM is the only FBS school that recruits Minnesota or something ? Every Big 10 school recruits Minnesota. If UM missed out on guys like Billy Turner, so did Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State etc.

A lot of these guys that went to NDSU and went on to play in the NFL were not even close to the same quality player their senior year as freshman. NDSU does a better job of developing players than perhaps any college program in the nation. Who knows. Billy Turner could have went to Minnesota, sat behind more talented players, never developed under coach Kramer and Fuchs, started his senior year and been half the player he was at Minnesota as he was at NDSU.

FU does a good job developing talent but to say they are the beat in the country is laughable. You want a high five for having a player in the professional football ranks.

Their strength the last few years has been their coaching staff compared to their competition and the early investments they made in facilities, etc.

Someone mentioned Paul Cornick. Paul was a walk on at NDSU for christ sakes. NDSU could have even missed out by not offering a scholarship. Again, clearly he was not Big 10 talent coming into his freshman year. NDSU developed him into an NFL player.

Only guy on this run that was a Big 10 player out of high school was Crockett. He had every Big 10 school after him, but his grades were atrocious due to being homeless.

Up until these last few years, I never saw NDSU winning recruiting battles over quality FBS teams. Last year, QB recruit picked NDSU over a full ride at Rutgers. This year it appears Ben Ellefson is staying at NDSU rather than going to Purdue. They have been getting better at recruiting, not worse. When it comes to ND, these young kids are growing up watching NDSU on Saturdays, watching NDSU on ESPN etc. NDSU will dominate recruiting in ND and western Minnesota for years to come.

Paul Cornick has developed more in his years after FU than he did while there. He will tell you that. Most players don't have the perseverance he had to keep going to camps, spending a few weeks on a practice squad, getting cut and than repeating. His hard work finally paid off for him this year.

I remember hearing about Turner as a senior in HS and there was talk in Twin Cities media that they were shocked that Brewster wasn't recruiting him.  He was a 2 star in Rivals and Brewster was too busy looking for 4 stars out of Florida that flunked out of school after a year or two.

Not many other Big Ten schools recruit MN very hard except for the top 5-10 kids that everybody wants.  They aren't coming to MN for 2 star recruits but you would expect the local Big Ten school to have some insight which Brewster did not. 

The Sioux winning 3 out of the last 4 against the Bison sounds about right.  From 1993 to 2003 UND was 9 wins and 4 losses against NDSU.  

As far as a recruiting advantage, the Sioux can offer early playing time to recruits.  I am not naive enough to think this balances us out against the story NDSU can tell, but it certainly helps narrow the gap.

I seem to remember hearing that back in the 1980's and when Bob Babich was hired in 1997.  How'd that turn out for you guys?

UND is not going away, as much as you wish it would.

While talking to a Bison fan in my family, I had to listen about how the Bison will have yet another nationally televised game on ESPN and how much of a recruiting advantage that is.  Which got me thinking, how much of a recruiting advantage is it?  Obviously having national exposure will help get the word out about a school and they are going to be seen as a successful program since they are in the playoffs and playing on ESPN.  But are high school kids and FBS transfers surfing the TV stations on a Friday or Saturday to see what FCS schools are playing on TV when making their decision to where they will go to school and play college football? 

There are many factors that go into a kids decision on where to play college football.  National exposure is a big one, but it is not the only one and maybe not necessarily the most important.  These recruits look at all sorts of variables.  Coaching staff, facilities, college campus, programs that they could major in, location.  All these things come into play when picking a college.  So while playing a game on national television will deffinitely send a message to recruits that you are a successful program, but I don't think it is the end all decision maker for a kid picking where to play college football.

So what is the biggest recruiting advantage that coaches use?

UND coaches can promise the recruits families that they will be home every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but they hear NDSU coaches make their kids practice during the holidays? That may work.

UND coaches can promise the recruits families that they will be home every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but they hear NDSU coaches make their kids practice during the holidays? That may work.

Well, it took fu getting away from UND to have the opportunity to experience the holidays as a team.

• Upvote 1

UND has gone away. SDSU and UNI out recruit you in addition to NDSU.

In addition, the fact that UND plays in the big sky will continue to hurt them in recruiting.

Please tell us more. I guess we should drop football cause the king of idiots said UND has gone away. You don't honestly wonder why people chuckle when you post?

In addition, the fact that UND plays in the big sky will continue to hurt them in recruiting.

So do all 2011 of you get together and decide as a group what to post on siouxsports.com?

Or do you take turns? Or is there a hierarchy? Do the fast food restaurant Asst. Managers of the group assume leadership and have the final say as to what gets posted? Inquiring minds want to know.

Let's face it, for a school in eastern ND, your primary area for recruiting (outside of ND) will be MN, WI, IA, SD, IL, NE.    I'm not sure how you expect to have major recruiting success vs. SDSU, USD, UNI and other teams that sit and play in that recruiting area.  A result of playing in the BSC will be having some struggles with recruiting those states vs. teams playing closer than you play.   Of course, recruiting  CO, UT, CA, WA, OR ect. . .  is no picnic for a team sitting in eastern ND either.

Something to think about.

UND has gone away, aren't you the one who went on a 15 page rampage on the one blog and admitted you are afraid to play UND because you might lose or you guys might look bad against us.  Why don't you go away, please.  Can that be my Christmas present? But we know you won't go away....because you are obsessed with UND.