SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

Every time Game Day goes to Fargo it kills us. Every time they play on TV it hurts.

There's no reason to dispute that.

But this all reminds me of the Plundering Turds run in the 80s that was followed by our turn in the 90s. What was it-3 of the last 4 head to head was won by the good guys?

It WILL happen again, but we need patience.

Doesn't kill us but it helps them.

They like the idea of playing touch football, aka Big Sky football. Hardly any tackling goes on in the Big Sky and most players are done with football come Thanksgiving.

Most players in the Misery Valley Conference were also done at Thanksgiving. 

Listen Sparky, I'll fill you in on a couple of things. Most importantly we have had, and always will have, an academic advantage that makes a difference with kids who have the idea that obtaining a degree, then getting a job is an important consideration. You are the perfect example. A "2011 BisonAlumni" ( some might say alumnus) who graduated in 2011 and who still has enough time to converse on a blog of what is supposed to be an irrelevant college team, either doesn't have a job yet, or your job is such that it is irrelevant to your employer. The Ag school has done a good job lately but you should rest easy at night knowing that you have had nothing to do with that success. Because of that sad fact you seem to improve your lot in life by trying to make someone else feel badly about themselves or their teams. Sparky, that is a sad reflection on what your degree has done for you or to you. I would expect a 2011 UND grad to have been promoted in their job as an accountant, engineer, businessman or woman, pilot, teacher, entrepreneur, nurse, ..... Most get the picture. What happens to your FB team should be fun and a great time to party and see old friends. For you who seem to have nothing better to do with your life, you are missing out if this is what makes you feel good. When we recruit kids we can tell them the fact that UND grads have great success after FB as CEO's, and astronauts, and doctors and lawyers and farmers and teachers who have done great things after attending UND. We can show them your blogs and tell those student athletes they could also go to the AC and maybe blog the rest of their lives.

Which makes me wonder..... Who are NDSUs most successful, life after football, alumni? UND frankly has enough to start a thread dedicated to it, but you just don't hear about NDSU former players going on to greatness in their fields.

Especially when they go to Cretin although that may be changing as Ohio State got the top player from Minnesota this year and Notre Dame was after him and he did go to Cretin. Oregon is the school right now that is having some success in Minnesota getting probably the #2 player in this years class and the top player in next years class has already committed there as well. They have also offered the #2 player in next years class as has Ohio State and Michigan State but it might be tough for those schools to beat out the Gophers for him as his dad played there and I believe his grandpa was AD at Minnesota for a while and the kid said they've had season tickets and been going to games since he was 8. 

It will be interesting to see how this year's "top player from Minnesota" pans out at Ohio State. He's a kid that has the physical tools to be dominant, but when you watch him on film the lack of effort is appalling. He didn't make any All-Metro teams and was 2nd team all-state - reflecting that despite all the Rivals and ESPN hype, the coaches and media members that voted didn't think too highly of him. Maybe Urban Meyer will make a player out of him, but after seeing him play a few times, I wouldn't want him on any team I was rooting for.

As for the other top MN recruits - I think the Gophers were maybe just a year or two away from keeping those kids. Even though there's clearly positive momentum in that program, Goldy's level of success this year was a bit of a surprise to many. If they can sustain it, Oregon and Wisconsin and other programs won't look quite so sexy any more.

Sorry for wandering off the topic of this thread, but I couldn't resist.

It will be interesting to see how this year's "top player from Minnesota" pans out at Ohio State. He's a kid that has the physical tools to be dominant, but when you watch him on film the lack of effort is appalling. He didn't make any All-Metro teams and was 2nd team all-state - reflecting that despite all the Rivals and ESPN hype, the coaches and media members that voted didn't think too highly of him. Maybe Urban Meyer will make a player out of him, but after seeing him play a few times, I wouldn't want him on any team I was rooting for.

As for the other top MN recruits - I think the Gophers were maybe just a year or two away from keeping those kids. Even though there's clearly positive momentum in that program, Goldy's level of success this year was a bit of a surprise to many. If they can sustain it, Oregon and Wisconsin and other programs won't look quite so sexy any more.

Sorry for wandering off the topic of this thread, but I couldn't resist.

Urban Meyer will whip him into shape or ship his ass out. He's a lot like Saban in that regard.

Urban Meyer will whip him into shape or ship his ass out. He's a lot like Saban in that regard.

I would expect so. Those scholarships are way too valuable to have non-performers taking up space. I just have to wonder whether OSU coaches might be a little afraid they made a mistake.

I would expect so. Those scholarships are way too valuable to have non-performers taking up space. I just have to wonder whether OSU coaches might be a little afraid they made a mistake.

They have enough leverage that one scholarship doesn't really matter. They have so much depth and talent that if he doesn't bring the effort he'll never see the field and likely leave. It's not like FCS or small time FBS where you can't whiff on "big time" recruits. The big schools can absorb those misses and move on like nothing happened.

Hmmm a bus ride to Macomb or a flight to Missoula - which stadium/game day atmosphere is more appealing? Okay we get it you think that if FU offers it's a done deal- we're happy for you. See you later. Don't call us we'll call you. 

UND may bus to Macomb, but NDSU flies. They flew to UNI this year. The only bus trips are USD or SDSU. 

I hear NDSU got a commitment from a California kid today. I thought that was UND Big Sky territory. Although he is a high school kid. Bubba seems to be putting all of his baskets in the JUCO/FBS transfer basket.   

UND may bus to Macomb, but NDSU flies. They flew to UNI this year. The only bus trips are USD or SDSU. 

I hear NDSU got a commitment from a California kid today. I thought that was UND Big Sky territory. Although he is a high school kid. Bubba seems to be putting all of his baskets in the JUCO/FBS transfer basket.   

Funny how the turds used to say they were so happy with their tiny conference footprint compared to the Big Sky because of the savings from busing.  

Take a car, bus, trike, plane, or rocket.... unfortunately, you're still ending up in Macomb.

just how many baskets are we talking about here.... any eggs?

• Upvote 3

You can have all the California kids you want. Have at it.

UND has 4 transfers and 14 high school commits right now. You're smart.

• Upvote 3

.... an academic advantage that makes a difference with kids who have the idea that obtaining a degree, then getting a job is an important consideration. 

Then there are the folks who go to NDSU as undergrads to play and have fun (let's just say they don't have a lot of "gravitas" in their lives yet) and then realize to get to where they want to be in life they need to get that advanced, professional degree from UND. As far as front and center examples, maybe CAS4127 can help me out with that. 

CAS: Do you know of anyone who played at NDSU but is making their life's work, and living, off of a graduate-level degree from UND? ;) 

• Upvote 3

How many carries do you suppose King Frazier gets tonight? Just curious

They prefer transfers from Valley City State and Crookston, for the most part.  I for one am all for that.  Keep the pipeline to Fargo open.  

For you to even try compare those players to any on your team is a joke.  Both have been good contributors to a top FCS team and King Frazier was recruited hard by NDSU a few years ago so we knew all about him.  How many all conference players you have this year?  First team? Second team? Third?  Tells you what the rest of the BSC thinks of your players. 

For you to even try compare those players to any on your team is a joke. Both have been good contributors to a top FCS team and King Frazier was recruited hard by NDSU a few years ago so we knew all about him. How many all conference players you have this year? First team? Second team? Third? Tells you what the rest of the BSC thinks of your players.

We are a rebuilding program. Rebuilding programs won't have that, stop being so damn insecure and enjoy your playoff run. It's getting old reading it real quick. Fargo is a solid university academically and athletically. You have a strong football program and aren't the least bit humble about telling us about it either.

We know where our program is at and recognize it will take a few years to get back. To answer the original question, yes it is an advantage but having a medical, law, and aviation school will help us minimize that

For you to even try compare those players to any on your team is a joke.  Both have been good contributors to a top FCS team and King Frazier was recruited hard by NDSU a few years ago so we knew all about him.  How many all conference players you have this year?  First team? Second team? Third?  Tells you what the rest of the BSC thinks of your players. 

I thought individual awards didn't matter? 

For you to even try compare those players to any on your team is a joke. Both have been good contributors to a top FCS team and King Frazier was recruited hard by NDSU a few years ago so we knew all about him. How many all conference players you have this year? First team? Second team? Third? Tells you what the rest of the BSC thinks of your players.

What he is comparing is the comments made by fu fans here and on your own board about UND bringing in transfers. You guys criticize UND but do it yourself. I really don't care where they come from or what relationships there are, you can't change the definition of transfer.

Funny how the turds used to say they were so happy with their tiny conference footprint compared to the Big Sky because of the savings from busing.  

Take a car, bus, trike, plane, or rocket.... unfortunately, you're still ending up in Macomb.

just how many baskets are we talking about here.... any eggs?

Yeah, I didn't think people put baskets into baskets.....but I guess the academic standards at FU are just a little bit lower than in Grand Forks. :p

Here is the recruiting advantage:

• when we were DII SU had more money to give out so got more of the kids they wanted - I know for sure one high profile player that would have gone to UND if he could  have gotten the same $$ from us
  • when we transitioning SU had the advantage of offering something to play for (playoffs) when we couldn't do that - I know of another very good player who made the choice to go to SU over UND for that reason 
  • SU's recent success gives them an advantage currently 

It will take us time to overcome that but we are making strides and will eventually do that like we did by the end of our DII days when we were beating them on the field about 75% of the time.