SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

Fact is that the amount of 1st and 2nd rounders playing college hockey is going down.

Not disagreeing. But it'd be nice to see a chart or something.

Does it matter where they are drafted if the actual number playing in the NHL is going up....Isn't that the point of getting drafted high. To have a greater chance at playing in the NHL and not their minor leagues.

Brian Lee was drafted ninth overall (higher than Zach Parise, TJ Oshie etc). But that didn't do that much for him.

That number will fluctuate over time. But the total number of NHL players that played in the NCAA continues to grow almost every year.

yeah, but the number of college players drafted in the top five picks is certainly going down. I just know it.
  • Upvote 1

I can find examples of awesome "athletes" in every sport:

- John Kruk*

- William Perry**

- Wayne "the bodybuilder" Gretzky***

When you play a sport you do what you need to to be successful in that sport. You don't see a lot of marathoners with 30 inch biceps yet no one will argue that marathoners are in phenomenal shape and superb athletes. 

This argument bores**** me. 

* Favorite Kruk-ism: "Ma'am, I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player." 

** There wasn't a shirt tail his belly couldn't over- (under?) come. 

*** Wayne never lifted weights. 

**** bore: to weary by dull, tedious repetition

Look, are you telling us that the best athletes in the world come from the Scandy countries and Canada? If so, we can't help you. Maybe I'm getting the wrong message from your post though, because I don't think anyone is dumb enough to imply hockey players are the best athletes.

Give me Football/basketball/soccer players everyday.

I look at it this way: if a guy like Adrian Peterson, or maybe an NBA point guard, had started playing hockey when he was a little kid and had devoted the required amount of time and effort to becoming a hockey player, he would, IMO, very likely develop into a great, even revolutionary, hockey player. But, I don't think there's any chance that a guy like Wayne Gretzky could have ever been a great running back in the NFL, or a great NBA point guard, no matter how much time or effort he might put into it.

Hockey players are very skilled, but hockey as a sport simply does not attract even close to the level of athletic talent that basketball or football does, at least not in this country.

I look at it this way: if a guy like Adrian Peterson, or maybe an NBA point guard, had started playing hockey when he was a little kid and had devoted the required amount of time and effort to becoming a hockey player, he would, IMO, very likely develop into a great, even revolutionary, hockey player. But, I don't think there's any chance that a guy like Wayne Gretzky could have ever been a great running back in the NFL, or a great NBA point guard, no matter how much time or effort he might put into it.

Hockey players are very skilled, but hockey as a sport simply does not attract even close to the level of athletic talent that basketball or football does, at least not in this country.

Peterson lacks the coordination to play hockey. Pick someone with hands and I agree. Calvin Johnson. LaVeon Bell. JJ W.... He played hockey, no revolution.