SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at NDSU 2015 pregame thread (no smack)

geaux_sioux

Haven't seen for myself, but reading the comments about the quality of the Big Sky online network is very poor. You might as well not watch and save some frustration. 

Sorry to tell you the quality is just fine a majority of the time.

Which game is in the bars and restaurants across the state on Saturday? Online streaming of UND football? No, it is the NDSU game on public television.

In terms of building young fans, fans who might one day be a recruit to a football program, I think NDSU being broadcasted on public television is a significant advantage.

Which game is in the bars and restaurants across the state on Saturday? Online streaming of UND football? No, it is the NDSU game on public television.

In terms of building young fans, fans who might one day be a recruit to a football program, I think NDSU being broadcasted on public television is a significant advantage.

Conveniently leaving out that UND's game is also on Midcontinent which the majority of ND, large parts of SD and parts of western MN get or just ignorant and trying to troll?

The game on Midcontinent will be on in plenty of bars.

That's nice. Midcontinent is available plenty of places as well.

5 years ago, I think UND was light years ahead of FU in the TV department.  Today, not so much sadly.

Midco has around 200,000 subscribers.  How many of those customers subscribe to Midco Sports Net is anybody's guess.  Bison football games on "NBC North Dakota" are available to anybody that has a TV in North Dakota, NW Minnesota, and probably Northern South Dakota. 

I have a pretty elaborate set-up in my Man Cave that includes 4 TV's, 3 satellite receivers, 2 OTA antennas, and a high-speed broadband internet connection.  I'm happy I can watch the games on BigSkyTV, but I'd be happier if I could just flip on the TV and have the game be there.  So would my aging folks.

• Upvote 2

Conveniently leaving out that UND's game is also on Midcontinent which the majority of ND, large parts of SD and parts of western MN get or just ignorant and trying to troll?

And Midcontinent is glad they can bring this weeks UND/Weber State game to all 6 fans that will be watching...

5 years ago, I think UND was light years ahead of FU in the TV department.  Today, not so much sadly.

Midco has around 200,000 subscribers.  How many of those customers subscribe to Midco Sports Net is anybody's guess.  Bison football games on "NBC North Dakota" are available to anybody that has a TV in North Dakota, NW Minnesota, and probably Northern South Dakota. 

I have a pretty elaborate set-up in my Man Cave that includes 4 TV's, 3 satellite receivers, 2 OTA antennas, and a high-speed broadband internet connection.  I'm happy I can watch the games on BigSkyTV, but I'd be happier if I could just flip on the TV and have the game be there.  So would my aging folks.

I believe that Midco Sports Net is available on all except the lowest level of limited cable.  That would mean that the vast majority of those 200,000 subscribers have access to it.

... the NDSU game on public television.

No. It's not.

"Public television" is probably running a show on painting, or sewing, or "Sesame Street".

The NDSU game is on free, over-the-air, commercial television.

And now the "money" question: How many televisions are still connected to over-the-air antennas? Dare I say 20% at most*? That means most sets are connected to satellite or ... cable. And who's the largest cable provider in the region?

*With digital television came smaller signal reach and more people in small towns and rural areas going to satellite or cable.

No. It's not.

"Public television" is probably running a show on painting, or sewing, or "Sesame Street".

The NDSU game is on free, over-the-air, commercial television.

And now the "money" question: How many televisions are still connected to over-the-air antennas? Dare I say 20% at most*? That means most sets are connected to satellite or ... cable. And who's the largest cable provider in the region?

*With digital television came smaller signal reach and more people in small towns and rural areas going to satellite or cable.

Satellite is a huge player in North Dakota, I would say more so than cable. You can't get Midco on satellite, but you can get the OTA channels via all three mediums.

Something nice about being on a basic network.  I find it frustrating because sometimes NDSU plays the same time Notre Dame does on NBC, but its a nice deal to have.

No question NDSU's TV deal with NBC is better than UND's deal with Midcontinent. With that said, the Midcontinent deal isn't horrible. 

Once Midcontinent is fully in Fargo (my neighborhood won't have it until 2015/2016)https://www.midcocomm.com/globalassets/fargo/fargo_map.pdf  more and more viewers will be able to see UND sports.

No question NDSU's TV deal with NBC is better than UND's deal with Midcontinent. With that said, the Midcontinent deal isn't horrible. 

I agree with this, plus folks have to remember you get into many homes not in ND.  We had this philophical debate on bisonville and while we agreed NBC is clearly a better deal, the distribution out of ND makes Midco better than many realize.  NDSU needs to find a way to simulcast on FSN plus or something, then they will be lightyears ahead of the flagship.

I agree with this, plus folks have to remember you get into many homes not in ND. We had this philophical debate on bisonville and while we agreed NBC is clearly a better deal, the distribution out of ND makes Midco better than many realize. NDSU needs to find a way to simulcast on FSN plus or something, then they will be lightyears ahead of the flagship.

What's your falafelcy on the matter?