SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at NDSU 2015 pregame thread (no smack)

geaux_sioux

I don't think the game will be a blowout. I think UND is coming along nicely, I was following the Montana game and your defense held stout. I know it was their backup QB but I am not sure how much more the starter would have been good for. I think the difference with NDSU is our margin for error. I love the way we play football because it's based on scheme and discipline and not athletes, and UND showed alot of scheme and discipline against Montana. NDSU is so good along the oline/dline that opponenets just can't keep up, even when NDSU doesn't play well. I know it doesn't show right now, but NDSU offense is going to be very very good. The Wentz kid is a special player with a big time arm and some games he just looks to be a man among boys, especially when he runs. Sooner or later the passing game is going to open up and the running game is just going to pound opponents.

NDSU wins in a manner where people don't notice becuase they control both sides of the LOS. It amazes me the lack of intelligence when we play against the big boys and control the LOS that their fans don't see that. UND defense was doing that very nicely against Montana and I am amazed that the "intelligen"t fns of Montana fans didn't see that. We did that to them all game too and even though it wasn't a blowout I don't think fans ever really felt threatened.

I'll be looking to see if your coach can continue to control the LOS on the defensive side of the ball and if that carries over to the offense. I'm hoping once he gets his recruits in you can see alot more balance around the entire unit both sides of the ball. Would love to see UND shake up the big fluff with a defense dominated and controlled team.

I don't think the game will be a blowout. I think UND is coming along nicely, I was following the Montana game and your defense held stout. I know it was their backup QB but I am not sure how much more the starter would have been good for. I think the difference with NDSU is our margin for error. I love the way we play football because it's based on scheme and discipline and not athletes, and UND showed alot of scheme and discipline against Montana. NDSU is so good along the oline/dline that opponenets just can't keep up, even when NDSU doesn't play well. I know it doesn't show right now, but NDSU offense is going to be very very good. The Wentz kid is a special player with a big time arm and some games he just looks to be a man among boys, especially when he runs. Sooner or later the passing game is going to open up and the running game is just going to pound opponents.

NDSU wins in a manner where people don't notice becuase they control both sides of the LOS. It amazes me the lack of intelligence when we play against the big boys and control the LOS that their fans don't see that. UND defense was doing that very nicely against Montana and I am amazed that the "intelligen"t fns of Montana fans didn't see that. We did that to them all game too and even though it wasn't a blowout I don't think fans ever really felt threatened.

I'll be looking to see if your coach can continue to control the LOS on the defensive side of the ball and if that carries over to the offense. I'm hoping once he gets his recruits in you can see alot more balance around the entire unit both sides of the ball. Would love to see UND shake up the big fluff with a defense dominated and controlled team.

Nice Post!

I agree with a lot of this. I think their fans were too busy trying to save face by calling our teams cheap to notice our DL dominance and your OL dominance.

I think the difference with NDSU is our margin for error. I love the way we play football because it's based on scheme and discipline ...

I said it before here somewhere:

NDSU does nothing exceptional in their offense; what NDSU does is execute the offense they run exceptionally

How do you create a defense to beat that?

With the same things: Scheme. Discipline. And run it exceptionally. 

NDSU took the graduation hit this year on the offensive side (line and new QB). They'll be veterans next year. 

NDSU takes the graduation hit next year on defense. They lose both starting safeties, three key LBs, and their monster DE. Those safeties are key losses in the Tampa 2 NDSU runs. 

So looking way, way ahead now it looks to be:

- UND's progressing and year-more-mature defense on NDSU's mature offense

- NDSU's revamped defense on UND's where-will-it-be-then offense

Very good points. As we see by both NDSU and now UND, playing physical defense and ball controlling offense really neutralizes wide-open passing teams. Without his own recruits, Bubba has already managed to even up UND with most Big Sky clubs. After a couple seasons of recruiting, the Big Sky best watch out for UND and Bubba. Really, only Montana and UND are playing traditional tough football right now in the Big Sky.

It may be getting closer but what you just stated shows that it's still really not that close at all. 15 ppg difference is a heck of a lot. 80 yards +/- is a decent margin and NDSU also has taken starters out in the blowout to IW where they had only given up like 35 yards until the backups came in. Yes you are correct though that they are "getting closer" anyway.

Big difference is your d was at their current level from the first snap. Ours is still improving with each game. Site the difference between the MSUs, both very explosive offenses, very different results.

Don't know if NDSU will be able to handle all of this unproven talent UND has coming into next year. They have already shown the talent and determination to really rack up the moral victories this year and contend for a hypothetical playoff birth.

You add nothing to a discussion. We all know you, as a wonderfully-implied NDSU troll (which we have an infestation problem with around here), do not think NDSU is touchable.

Apparently talking about how NDSU almost lost to Western Illinois wasn't interesting enough so you had to come over here. Pitiful... 

Don't know if NDSU will be able to handle all of this unproven talent UND has coming into next year. They have already shown the talent and determination to really rack up the moral victories this year and contend for a hypothetical playoff birth.

No smack. Mods, get rid of this.

You add nothing to a discussion. We all know you, as a wonderfully-implied NDSU troll (which we have an infestation problem with around here), do not think NDSU is touchable.

Apparently talking about how NDSU almost lost to Western Illinois wasn't interesting enough so you had to come over here. Pitiful...

How am I smack talking? On paper UND has a ton of unproven talent coming back next year and a coach who knows how to grind out games and get a moral victory. I am worried about this game next year.

I said it before here somewhere:

NDSU does nothing exceptional in their offense; what NDSU does is execute the offense they run exceptionally

How do you create a defense to beat that?

With the same things: Scheme. Discipline. And run it exceptionally. 

NDSU took the graduation hit this year on the offensive side (line and new QB). They'll be veterans next year. 

NDSU takes the graduation hit next year on defense. They lose both starting safeties, three key LBs, and their monster DE. Those safeties are key losses in the Tampa 2 NDSU runs. 

So looking way, way ahead now it looks to be:

- UND's progressing and year-more-mature defense on NDSU's mature offense

- NDSU's revamped defense on UND's where-will-it-be-then offense

Not that it means everything but as of right now how many starters on both sides will UND return next season?

How am I smack talking? On paper UND has a ton of unproven talent coming back next year and a coach who knows how to grind out games and get a moral victory. I am worried about this game next year.

You're a tad behind. The prior coach would go toe-to-toe with moral victories. The current coach does not believe in them ... and he's teaching his team the same.

PS - Your name is a misnomer unless you are bipolar. "Alumni" is plural; you would be an alumnus.