SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at NDSU 2015 pregame thread (no smack)

geaux_sioux

In my opinion a huge screw up. Either the captains got confused or Bubba and staff thought that having the wind first would be a huge advantage even though both teams get exactly the same amount of time with wind at their back. I've seen this choice a few times in high school games with high winds, but never in a DI game. Bubba made other decisions that turned out poorly and in retrospect seemed questionable, but in my mind he gets a pass on those because he was trying to be agressive in a game situation. This choice is just a blunder and if Muss made it people would be howling.

Completely agree. This is a screw up for Pop Warner games, not supposed big-time college football. In UND's defense, both UCLA and Texas have managed to screw up a coin toss as well - in fact, the Longhorns did it just a few weeks ago against the Bruins.

In my opinion a huge screw up.  Either the captains got confused or Bubba and staff thought that having the wind first would be a huge advantage even though both teams get exactly the same amount of time with wind at their back.  I've seen this choice a few times in high school games with high winds, but never in a DI game.  Bubba made other decisions that turned out poorly and in retrospect seemed questionable, but in my mind he gets a pass on those because he was trying to be agressive in a game situation.  This choice is just a blunder and if Muss made it people would be howling.  

What choice exactly?  My internet was terrible last week and I missed it. 

UND didn't screw up the coin toss.  They chose to take the wind after losing the toss.  That is not "screwing it up".  If the Texas thing never happened this wouldn't even be brought up.

UND chose to take the wind in the second half instead of the ball.  Why?  Because they were down 21-3 with an average offense and knew they needed to catch up NOW or be down too far to even get close.  How did it work out?  They scored two TD's in the 3rd/start of 4th and made it 21-17, which is exactly what they hoped for.  They at least now had a shot.  

Bubba didn't know how his defense would play in the fourth quarter but he knew damn well that they better try and catch up now instead of later into the wind.  

His decision to take the wind in the 3rd quarter worked about as well as it possibly could have.

NDSU is having the same problem as UND right now with students not showing up or staying at the game. Hopefully the UND-NDSU game will make everyone stay.

Lol.....NDSU is getting twice the students to their games than UND is these days. Hell, the average number of students who show up for NDSU games is about half of what are showing up in the entire Alerus center these days. 

Lol.....NDSU is getting twice the students to their games than UND is these days. Hell, the average number of students who show up for NDSU games is about half of what are showing up in the entire Alerus center these days.

That wasn't the point was it. #1 team in the country, longest winning streak and empty seats prompting a Bison player to call them out on Twitter. I thought with your "rival" in town it wouldn't be a problem to show up instead 400 tickets went to the public.

UND didn't screw up the coin toss.  They chose to take the wind after losing the toss.  That is not "screwing it up".  If the Texas thing never happened this wouldn't even be brought up.

UND chose to take the wind in the second half instead of the ball.  Why?  Because they were down 21-3 with an average offense and knew they needed to catch up NOW or be down too far to even get close.  How did it work out?  They scored two TD's in the 3rd/start of 4th and made it 21-17, which is exactly what they hoped for.  They at least now had a shot.  

Bubba didn't know how his defense would play in the fourth quarter but he knew damn well that they better try and catch up now instead of later into the wind.  

His decision to take the wind in the 3rd quarter worked about as well as it possibly could have.

If it wasn't a screwup and it was deliberate. I'll question Bubbas coaching for the remainder of his career.

• Upvote 1

That wasn't the point was it. #1 team in the country, longest winning streak and empty seats prompting a Bison player to call them out on Twitter. I thought with your "rival" in town it wouldn't be a problem to show up instead 400 tickets went to the public.

A lot of students are getting bored watching an ass kicking over and over every weekend. They are spoiled.

But to try to say UND and NDSU have the same problem with student support.....come on man. Even with a few less kids showing up, NDSU has a top 5 student attendance year in and year out in the FCS. 

A lot of students are getting bored watching an ass kicking over and over every weekend. They are spoiled.

But to try to say UND and NDSU have the same problem with student support.....come on man. Even with a few less kids showing up, NDSU has a top 5 student attendance year in and year out in the FCS.

Almost every college is starting to see this problem. This is a UND board (incase you forgot) so I mentioned UND's problem. No smack remember.

It's embarrassing. I do wonder if the attendance would be better if the games were closer... No way of knowing I guess.

Regardless, today was a fun game to be at. In inclined to think it would be better if more games were like this

I think we actually won the toss at the start of the game and took the wind so SUU took the ball.  

SUU got their choice in 2nd half and took the ball again so we chose to take the wind for 3rd qtr.   We wouldn't get the choice both at start and at half.

I think we actually won the toss at the start of the game and took the wind so SUU took the ball.  

SUU got their choice in 2nd half and took the ball again so we chose to take the wind for 3rd qtr.   We wouldn't get the choice both at start and at half.

You are correct, I reversed the order.  

What I stated still stands as how it went down and why.  The only decision that could be questioned is taking the wind to start the game.  The halftime score forced Bubba to take the wind for the third quarter.  In essence, SUU having the ball twice did nothing for them.  

Looking at the polls I don't see a team that's going to give the Bison a run, especially with home field throughout.  For the Bison guys, how many road playoff games have the Bison won in the last 4-5 year stretch?  Was there a win before the Eastern Washington loss?  It's a hell of an advantage.

The good thing for UND is home field hasn't seemed to mean much for Sioux/Bison games.  The bad thing for UND we might be dipping into our cheer squad with all the injuries.

Looking at the polls I don't see a team that's going to give the Bison a run, especially with home field throughout. For the Bison guys, how many road playoff games have the Bison won in the last 4-5 year stretch? Was there a win before the Eastern Washington loss? It's a hell of an advantage.

The good thing for UND is home field hasn't seemed to mean much for Sioux/Bison games. The bad thing for UND we might be dipping into our cheer squad with all the injuries.

The Bison beat Robert Morris at home then beat Montana St in Bozeman before the loss at EWU.

Looking at the polls I don't see a team that's going to give the Bison a run, especially with home field throughout. For the Bison guys, how many road playoff games have the Bison won in the last 4-5 year stretch? Was there a win before the Eastern Washington loss? It's a hell of an advantage.

The good thing for UND is home field hasn't seemed to mean much for Sioux/Bison games. The bad thing for UND we might be dipping into our cheer squad with all the injuries.

NDSU will win a 4th straight national championship this season, or at least they should.

NDSU has been built up to the best program in FCS football; no question about it. If NDSU ever wants to play with the big boys (FBS), they should start looking for move-up opportunities now while their program is red hot.

As for the UND-NDSU football game next season, it's the 3rd game of the season for UND so hopefully injuries aren't a factor that early in the season. Either way, it will be a very challenging game for UND. Nevertheless, I'm very happy about it because these schools deserve to play an annual game due to proximity and tradition/history.

NDSU will win a 4th straight national championship this season, or at least they should.

NDSU has been built up to the best program in FCS football; no question about it. If NDSU ever wants to play with the big boys (FBS), they should start looking for move-up opportunities now while their program is red hot.

As for the UND-NDSU football game next season, it's the 3rd game of the season for UND so hopefully injuries aren't a factor that early in the season. Either way, it will be a very challenging game for UND. Nevertheless, I'm very happy about it because these schools deserve to play an annual game due to proximity and tradition/history.

Unfortunately it's a long way from being an annual game - my money is on that it will never be an annual game.

Recently they've been a better road team than home team. Probably due to the fanfair and fighting complacency.

Haven't seen for myself, but reading the comments about the quality of the Big Sky online network is very poor. You might as well not watch and save some frustration.

You haven't seen it yourself, yet you're saying we shouldn't watch it? That makes zero sense.

It's a great way to watch games all across the BIg Sky Conference. Same can't be said for the almighty MVFC.

You haven't seen it yourself, yet you're saying we shouldn't watch it? That makes zero sense.

It's a great way to watch games all across the BIg Sky Conference. Same can't be said for the almighty MVFC.

It's just a Internet feed like every school puts out and anyone can watch by signing up at the schools web-site.  The BSC does do it better by having one location for all it's members & fans.

It's just a Internet feed like every school puts out and anyone can watch by signing up at the schools web-site.  The BSC does do it better by having one location for all it's members & fans.

You left out that it is free, and they also have an app that streams in good quality.  So, really it is not like what every school does.