SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

An athlete loses a year of eligibility not being in a program??  His 2014 year seems to be a mystery. 

Yeah, I believe so. As I understand it the five year eligibility clock starts ticking the first day of freshman year. So unless he can get some kind of hardship waiver approved by the NCAA 2014 would be a lost year of eligibility.

Based off of new information today I am feeling pretty good about our running back situation for next year.

Transfers: Simmons (played last year), Arrington (UAB), and Nevermann (WYO)

Add in the incoming freshmen and I like what I see at this point. 

agreed. looks like UND will be able to punish people a lot more with the run game this coming season compared to the last few years. the size and depth at RB is something UND has been lacking for a bit

agreed. looks like UND will be able to punish people a lot more with the run game this coming season compared to the last few years. the size and depth at RB is something UND has been lacking for a bit

Absolutely, size and power has been absent in UND's running game.

Now, with the UAB and Wyoming transfers, the freshman from Canada, and Simmons retuning, UND will finally have some DI size in the backfield.

I hope Nevermann isn't needed at RB. Why?

1. It'd mean the other guys are gettin' it done.

2. Maybe he could move to the defensive backfield with James and we could have the Swedish Secondary. :D

b0853228cce1f4dec1d02a1f893752b4.jpg

If they really nailed somebody could we call it "Stockholm Syndrome"? 

No kidding. For a while it was "how small can UND go" at hockey goaltender; that moved to football running back. If we want to recruit 5'6" players can it be for things like libero in women's volleyball instead? 

Yeah, I believe so. As I understand it the five year eligibility clock starts ticking the first day of freshman year. So unless he can get some kind of hardship waiver approved by the NCAA 2014 would be a lost year of eligibility.

You're correct.  Once the clock starts they have 5 years to use up to 4 years of eligibility.  I believe that there is an exemption for religious mission trips such as the 1 1/2 to 2 year trips that Mormons often take while in college, and for service in the military.

That's exactly right.   Furthermore, we need to be going after the QB's that we know can make a difference.    I think too many years we've been settling for what ever will sign on the line and that's no way to make the playoffs.    I'm leery about bringing up NDSU, but it's their QB's that have gotten them places over the years. 

Probably a perception shared by a number of posters here, but I don't think it squares with reality. In 2012, UND brought in 3 qbs, including Braden Hanson, probably one of the best to ever play at UND, but unfortunately for only one year. Mollberg had FBS looks and multiple offers, including the AC. Bartels passed up an offer from Indiana State and was listed on one recruiting site -- EdgyTim, IIRC -- as one of top 5 "steals" of the 2012 recruiting season in Illinois.

Both QBs from 2013 left the program, including Sam Riddle, ranked as the #2 QB prospect from Oregon, who left after a week or two for family reasons. I believe Kurt Pallendeck left during the turmoil of a coaching change. As previously noted here, he's now at UNLV.

Hard case to make, I think, that UND has settled for "anything that will sign on the line." As for last year, I think any program is in trouble when forced to go with its third-string QB. The AC? They appear to have an excellent quarterback in Wentz who had family ties to FU and chose an offer from them over a variety of others, including UND and SIU. Their previous QB, Jensen, was named MVP of the FCS championship game hugely aided by a strong OL and a dominating rushing game. But the AC was his only D1 offer coming out of high school. He started four years , IIRC, because they had NO OTHER serviceable options, and for his first two years at least he was more of a liability than an asset on the field.

Sorry for the long post.

• Upvote 1

Based off of new information today I am feeling pretty good about our running back situation for next year.

Transfers: Simmons (played last year), Arrington (UAB), and Nevermann (WYO)

Add in the incoming freshmen and I like what I see at this point. 

Anyone know if Simmons applied for or is able to receive a medical hardship for last year? Only played in a game & a half.  Was injured in 2nd qtr of R. Morris game.

You're correct.  Once the clock starts they have 5 years to use up to 4 years of eligibility.  I believe that there is an exemption for religious mission trips such as the 1 1/2 to 2 year trips that Mormons often take while in college, and for service in the military.

Thanks to all for the info. on eligibility.

About Simmons........he could be done, Drs. won't clear him to play, last I heard.

Now, with the UAB and Wyoming transfers, the freshman from Canada, and Simmons retuning, UND will finally have some DI size in the backfield.

Hopefully the OL will accommodate the RB's with power blocking. A running game will be key in controlling the clock. UND was 11th in rushing offense (BSC) with 116.4, Cal Poly led the conference with 351.8, lets aim for that bar.

I was reading an article lately and it focused on in-state recruits. For North Dakota, top recruits focus on either UND or NDSU. I thought it would be interesting to have a list of all the top ND recruits and where they are going. The team (NDSU or UND) that wins ND in recruiting will often have the better future. Need to win in-state...