SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Muss' recruiting record is a paradox.  I think we can all agree a class is judged by what happens on the field.  But in the case of many recruits of the Muss era, they put up great fantasy numbers but couldn't win.

Given that, can we still claim the recruits were good?  Or do we say they were good recruits with a poor coach?  But someone has to put them in position to put up those numbers.

If it matters, I judge recruiting classes by wins and losses.  While you can still have an all conference or all american on a bad team, if the team isn't winning then overall it wasn't a good class.

• Upvote 1

Muss' recruiting record is a paradox.  I think we can all agree a class is judged by what happens on the field.  But in the case of many recruits of the Muss era, they put up great fantasy numbers but couldn't win.

Given that, can we still claim the recruits were good?  Or do we say they were good recruits with a poor coach?  But someone has to put them in position to put up those numbers.

If it matters, I judge recruiting classes by wins and losses.  While you can still have an all conference or all american on a bad team, if the team isn't winning then overall it wasn't a good class.

I think the problem w/ Muss' staff was always player development... They landed some pretty good recruits, just failed to develop them into quality FCS football players.  Look at Bubba's defense last year... filled w/ recruits from Muss that made pretty significant contributions & played at very high levels... (Labat, Rich, Ratelle, C. Brown, Idowu, Reyes, etc, etc) & most of those guys didn't "earn" much playing time on that atrocious 2013 defense. 

I'll agree w/ geaux_Sioux, in that the Muss staff did bring in some quality recruits the last few years & seemed to improve in the talent they were getting... how they developed them was a different story... & ultimately, those classes were (& should be) judged by the W-L records. Overall I'd say there were quite a few more "misses" than "hits" in the Muss recruiting era.

I think the problem w/ Muss' staff was always player development... They landed some pretty good recruits, just failed to develop them into quality FCS football players. Look at Bubba's defense last year... filled w/ recruits from Muss that made pretty significant contributions & played at very high levels... (Labat, Rich, Ratelle, C. Brown, Idowu, Reyes, etc, etc) & most of those guys didn't "earn" much playing time on that atrocious 2013 defense.

I'll agree w/ geaux_Sioux, in that the Muss staff did bring in some quality recruits the last few years & seemed to improve in the talent they were getting... how they developed them was a different story... & ultimately, those classes were (& should be) judged by the W-L records. Overall I'd say there were quite a few more "misses" than "hits" in the Muss recruiting era.

The option of staying in GF for the summer needs to go away. Muss didn't force commitment from his players to the year round training to develop to full potential.

Guys, Mussman's primary issue was and will always be that he, a former offensive lineman himself, didn't recruit talented linemen.

It still doesn't make sense to me that he just didn't understand that all the flashy flankers in the world don't mean dinky-doo if your QB is on his back and their RBs are running over your pancaked front seven. 

Concerning Muss, likely it was a case of mostly having below-average recruits (& a few above-average recruits that weren't developed or coached-up) w/ a below-average coaching staff. Not a good combination.

All in all just a below average coaching staff that couldn't develop. That's why they were pressed to recruit outside the area.

Bubba will recruit locally, which is key, and he and his staff will also develop North Dakota and Minnesota kids into contributors, just as NDSU has done over the past years.

What gets lost as the years go by is the lack of financial support that Muss had for his assistant coaches. I'm not bashing those assistants just saying if you look back the money wasn't there and thus the experience wasn't there. That was one thing that Bubba negotiated into his package -  much more money for salaries for his staff. 

• Upvote 2

So Iwarri Smith was sitting next to "rival NDSU coach" on the plane from MPLS to Fargo.  Tweeted a picture of the nat'l championship ring.  This could get interesting.....

EDIT:  Might be good thing he said it's a rival coach, but I'm sure he got an earful......

So Iwarri Smith was sitting next to "rival NDSU coach" on the plane from MPLS to Fargo.  Tweeted a picture of the nat'l championship ring.  This could get interesting.....

EDIT:  Might be good thing he said it's a rival coach, but I'm sure he got an earful......

I wonder in what context he was using "rival" in...

That is when Iwarii says.  Cool I'm getting one of those with UND on the ring.

So Coach Bohl is blocking the immediate transfer of the RB to UND  because we play them next year.  Therefore he  would lose one of his years to play college football.  Bohl should be ashamed.  Very petty.  What a loser.  I feel bad for the kid. 

Does anyone know the amount of times a school has not released a student athlete. It can't be a big number. Pretty classless and then to go poach a recruit from the same school. I mean you played one game against UND. Of course you lost but that was over a decade ago. Find yourself a coed and get over it. This poor kid has to sit a year cause you're an egotistical asshole.

So who do we have at RB now? Are we targeting any more?

They only have 11 days left. I doubt they were really leaning on Nevermann to be the workhorse, but who doesn't release a special teams player? A starter would make more sense, even a position second stringer would be more understandable. Not that I agree to hold any kid hostage but atleast I could see the point of it.

Agreed.

Really?

Seemed like a solid player.

Coach is classless. Sounds like he is worried to me.....why else would he not let a special teams guy go?????

Strange.

I think he is worried, he had a rough season for the first time in a long time for him. Recruits aren't as easy and he isn't sure how to adjust to that. Still a POS move though.

They only have 11 days left. I doubt they were really leaning on Nevermann to be the workhorse, but who doesn't release a special teams player? A starter would make more sense, even a position second stringer would be more understandable. Not that I agree to hold any kid hostage but atleast I could see the point of it.

could they pickup another FBS or Juco transfer in the spring?

Bubba and Bohl need to make a gentleman's agreement in that 1) Wyoming grants the release 2) Bubba doesn't travel him against Wyoming. Problem solved. For a guy like Bohl, who makes a living, really good living, off of college athletes, to robb a kid of his junior year is classless. I am really questioning Bohl as a man........

• Upvote 1