SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

From what I have seen, it would be hard to compete with Reyes on the basketball court.

Mollberg and Labat led Detroit Lakes to Minn. State BB tourney. Labat won opening tip by out jumping DeLaSalle 6'7" big man who I believe plays for Northwestern. Mollberg scored 20. Mollberg finished career as leading scorer in school history surpassing Minn Viking receiver Adam Theilen.

In order of importance, the following positions are what I think are the most critical that we still need to fill

1) CB

- we didn't have much depth last year and lost Tillman

-  I don't believe we have a single CB recruit committed yet

- While I like Carter, it is a lot to thrust him into a starting spot with no real backup plan

2) WR

- this has been discussed enough

3) RB

- not sure what we have in Simmons or Sharp and not much experience

- Have a talented freshman in Olivera coming in, but is he built to handle 25+ carries/game

4) Offensive line

- we need more depth badly

- you can never have enough hogs

- I would like us to continue and get more athletic on the line this off-season

I am hoping to get at least 2 of each of these areas. Make it happen Bubba!

In order of importance, the following positions are what I think are the most critical that we still need to fill

1) CB

- I don't believe we have a single CB recruit committed yet

- While I like Carter, it is a lot to thrust him into a starting spot with no real backup plan

2) WR

3) RB

- Have a talented freshman in Olivera coming in, but is he built to handle 25+ carries/game

4) Offensive line

Need a qb recruit still. I've got Heidlebaugh as a TE

1) CB

2) WR

3) RB

4) Offensive line

Just speculation on my part, but I'm thinking we might be done recruiting at the RB & O-Line positions.  Have 4 HS lineman coming in (if Grady stays on the offensive side) & 2 Jucos also coming.  With Oliviera & Santiago coming in as HS recruits & the UAB transfer Arrington we could possible by close to done at RB too.  Although, I would like to see another FBS or Juco transfer here to spread some depth between the classes.  CB & S definitely need some depth & multiple HS recruits this year. ILB needs some too, as all the HS recruits are projected at OLB.

Also, anyone know if Norberg will be staying at RB or switching back to LB?

Just speculation on my part, but I'm thinking we might be done recruiting at the RB & O-Line positions.  Have 4 HS lineman coming in (if Grady stays on the offensive side) & 2 Jucos also coming.  With Oliviera & Santiago coming in as HS recruits & the UAB transfer Arrington we could possible by close to done at RB too.  Although, I would like to see another FBS or Juco transfer here to spread some depth between the classes.  CB & S definitely need some depth & multiple HS recruits this year. ILB needs some too, as all the HS recruits are projected at OLB.

Also, anyone know if Norberg will be staying at RB or switching back to LB?

Norberg is staying at RB. If the UAB kid and our freshman can carry the load I think Norberg could be a hybrid RB/FB. We might see one more back brought in with the question mark on Simmons's shoulder.

I'm only assuming but Norberg is probably going back to LB. I think you're right with RB's but I bet they're still looking for another Juco OL. I'm thinking we do get one more WR. if we get Awirri Smith it looks like he could play any position, maybe CB. Trey Anderson would be a great get at QB, but if not him somebody else with equal talent.

1) CB

Defensive Back Analysis (next year eligibility) - Analysis

Projected corner starters - Harris (Soph) - Has the physical tools and height 6'3" to be a top tier shut down corner. 

- Carter (Soph) - Competes every play, gritty, similar size to Tillman at 5'10" and 190 lbs.  Can cover and not afraid to tackle.

Cornerback Backups       - Brown (Sr.) - Undersized but he can play, really quick and is full speed out of breaks.  Should be a great leader for young corners.

- Flowers (Soph) I think he redshirted and still has 3 years.  Good size and athletic....but is he physical enough at this level?  Has potential.

- Edmunds (Jr.) Has been a special teamer, could be used as a depth player

- Bollant (R Fresh) Redshirted last year, time to prove yourself.

We have 3 guys that can play right now.  If the coaches have enough confidence in our starters, then look for some freshmen corners to come in and redshirt this recruiting class.  If we find a 'Tillman' type available we will grab him.  Don't panic if we don't sign a JUCO or FBS drop down at corner.

Projected Starters at Safety - Reyes (Soph) - Good player.  Needs to work on the speed of the game and his angles.

Other Safeties                      - James (Sr) - Not a top level safety but might start at beginning of the year with his experience.  Provides for good depth.

- Blackmon (Sr) - Has a nose for the ball or the ball has a nose for him.  He will see some time for sure.  Provides for good depth.

- Aenell and Johnson (Jrs both are JUCO transfers)  I think one of these guys will be the other starter when ready.  Both have good size.

- Montague (Soph) Kind of a wild card, played a little special teams last year, was listed on 2-deep at one point.

I think a JUCO guy ends up starting next to Reyes, providing us with some size at safety, which is needed with the receivers in the Big Sky.  James and Blackmon will provide depth and either could be starting 'Nickel', and in this league 5 DBs are needed on the field in certain situations.  We should look to add a freshman safety, redshirt him, and have him ready to go as we lose 2 Seniors after next season.  JUCO guys are the wild card at safety, but we did have more time this year to target guys that we wanted.  Plus, I believe both safeties are on campus now and will play spring ball.

Defensive Back Analysis (next year eligibility) - Analysis

Projected corner starters - Harris (Soph) - Has the physical tools and height 6'3" to be a top tier shut down corner. 

- Carter (Soph) - Competes every play, gritty, similar size to Tillman at 5'10" and 190 lbs.  Can cover and not afraid to tackle.

Cornerback Backups       - Brown (Sr.) - Undersized but he can play, really quick and is full speed out of breaks.  Should be a great leader for young corners.

- Flowers (Soph) I think he redshirted and still has 3 years.  Good size and athletic....but is he physical enough at this level?  Has potential.

- Edmunds (Jr.) Has been a special teamer, could be used as a depth player

- Bollant (R Fresh) Redshirted last year, time to prove yourself.

We have 3 guys that can play right now.  If the coaches have enough confidence in our starters, then look for some freshmen corners to come in and redshirt this recruiting class.  If we find a 'Tillman' type available we will grab him.  Don't panic if we don't sign a JUCO or FBS drop down at corner.

Projected Starters at Safety - Reyes (Soph) - Good player.  Needs to work on the speed of the game and his angles.

Other Safeties                      - James (Sr) - Not a top level safety but might start at beginning of the year with his experience.  Provides for good depth.

- Blackmon (Sr) - Has a nose for the ball or the ball has a nose for him.  He will see some time for sure.  Provides for good depth.

- Aenell and Johnson (Jrs both are JUCO transfers)  I think one of these guys will be the other starter when ready.  Both have good size.

- Montague (Soph) Kind of a wild card, played a little special teams last year, was listed on 2-deep at one point.

I think a JUCO guy ends up starting next to Reyes, providing us with some size at safety, which is needed with the receivers in the Big Sky.  James and Blackmon will provide depth and either could be starting 'Nickel', and in this league 5 DBs are needed on the field in certain situations.  We should look to add a freshman safety, redshirt him, and have him ready to go as we lose 2 Seniors after next season.  JUCO guys are the wild card at safety, but we did have more time this year to target guys that we wanted.  Plus, I believe both safeties are on campus now and will play spring ball.

It will be interesting to see whether the last two games of 2014 were flukes, or whether they were a sign of things to come for Blackmon. He had a nice return of a field goal block, a fumble recovery and a pick after playing very little for most of the season.