SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

But you don't really know which direction Bubba is taking the program. He just got commitments from 4 kids that may not have had any others offers. Maybe they did maybe they didn't but nobody is reporting any. That is not to say that they won't turn out to be good players, but it is a waiting game. Wait another year or two, then you may get an accurate picture of where the program is headed.

Each player had interest from regional schools (e.g., NDSU, USD, SDSU) and a couple had offers.

Don't feel like looking up details since you NDSU trolls are, well, trolling.

But you don't really know which direction Bubba is taking the program. He just got commitments from 4 kids that may not have had any others offers. Maybe they did maybe they didn't but nobody is reporting any. That is not to say that they won't turn out to be good players, but it is a waiting game. Wait another year or two, then you may get an accurate picture of where the program is headed.

I don't care about other offers. Kenny Golladay had no others offers and he's going to be in the NFL.

I don't care about other offers. Kenny Golladay had no others offers and he's going to be in the NFL.

At this level, you have to be able to assess and recruit without recruiting services and other interest. There are many, many Midwest players, particularily in North Dakota and northern Minnesota, that don't get paid attention to.

UND did not run player assessment camps with Mussman like they now are with Bubba. These camps serve as a very valuable recruiting tool as they are basically a combine for the student-athletes. Today is the camp, and it's very likely UND gets commit #5 today.

Bubba has this program going in the right direction. Period.

He's improved coaching/schemes, recruiting tactics, and gear. Also, the facilities have just happened to improve as well with the HPC and Alerus Center upgrades. UND football will soon be at its rightful place: winning conference championships and competing for national championships.

• Upvote 2

Offers that are given after seeing a player in person (at, say, a camp) are much more valuable than offers given based on tape.  If Bubba and his staff want a player after seeing them in person - no matter how many other offers the player has - that is good enough for me.  Would I prefer ND getting a player who has MAC offers?  Of course.  But the program isn't at that point yet and this is how you build a program the right way.

STFU.

I see nothing wrong with nd1su's post at all.

Except it totally adds nothing to the conversation and once again misdirects the conversation to a pissing match. Bubba has already said they know how to evaluate talent and the fact that other schools are or are not pursuing athletes they are interested in has no bearing on their recruiting process. If all a school does is chase prospects based on other schools interests they aren't doing their job. 

Ultimately, the measurement is in wins/losses, in the classroom, and in the character of your players. Before you get the wins you have to have the players by establishing yourself with high school coaches and hosting camps. The area high school coaches I know tell me UND has reestablished their presence and camp numbers were way up this year. The camps are the biggest recruiting tool and Bubba and Co. will tell you.......they don't care about stars and other offers. From the inside, things are vastly improved at UND and this fall will be a key measurement. I am not expecting miracles, just hoping for them, but the improvement at UND should show on the field this fall. With the new corner from Miss St., our starting 4 in the secondary will be good, and the 3rd and long was a problem last year. Anyway, good to see 5 early commits I think the number is now. And, a certain RB may be back with the program........

Tight end seems to be the one position group that we have enough of (7 currently), yet two of our first five signees are tight ends.  Maybe we're changing to a three-tight-end offense :).

I think Mortel actually projects as an OL. He'll obviously have to put on a lot of weight, but he has a nice frame.

Ultimately, the measurement is in wins/losses, in the classroom, and in the character of your players. Before you get the wins you have to have the players by establishing yourself with high school coaches and hosting camps. The area high school coaches I know tell me UND has reestablished their presence and camp numbers were way up this year. The camps are the biggest recruiting tool and Bubba and Co. will tell you.......they don't care about stars and other offers. From the inside, things are vastly improved at UND and this fall will be a key measurement. I am not expecting miracles, just hoping for them, but the improvement at UND should show on the field this fall. With the new corner from Miss St., our starting 4 in the secondary will be good, and the 3rd and long was a problem last year. Anyway, good to see 5 early commits I think the number is now. And, a certain RB may be back with the program........

Oscar is coming back after all?

I think Mortel actually projects as an OL. He'll obviously have to put on a lot of weight, but he has a nice frame.

Or DE.  I noticed that he played LB his Jr. year, which means that he has some mobility.  At 6'6 245 lbs., he fits into the Dranka/Greely mold, only taller.

Except it totally adds nothing to the conversation and once again misdirects the conversation to a pissing match. Bubba has already said they know how to evaluate talent and the fact that other schools are or are not pursuing athletes they are interested in has no bearing on their recruiting process. If all a school does is chase prospects based on other schools interests they aren't doing their job. 

I am not saying any school should recruit based on which other schools are doing. And I'm not saying a kid with only one D1 offer won't turn out to be a great FCS or even a future NFL player. NDSU has had a couple of D2 transfers start for them on championship teams. Those kids probably had no D1 offers out of high school. I'm just saying because Bubba has said he and his staff are expert talent evaluators doesn't mean its true. My guess is Mussman has said in the past he and his staff were great talent evaluators also. It doesn't mean it is true. The same people predicting Bubba's rise to championships were predicts Klieman's crash and burn last year.  

I am not saying any school should recruit based on which other schools are doing. And I'm not saying a kid with only one D1 offer won't turn out to be a great FCS or even a future NFL player. NDSU has had a couple of D2 transfers start for them on championship teams. Those kids probably had no D1 offers out of high school. I'm just saying because Bubba has said he and his staff are expert talent evaluators doesn't mean its true. My guess is Mussman has said in the past he and his staff were great talent evaluators also. It doesn't mean it is true. The same people predicting Bubba's rise to championships were predicts Klieman's crash and burn last year.

I will give Mussman some credit. He did have a way of finding talent at the skill positions. I just don't get how a former offensive lineman was so damn terrible at finding lineman.

• Upvote 1

Mussman never brought in the early numbers like this nor did he have the state support/camp process that Bubba has already implemented. Really, Bubba's method of recruiting is far more effective.