SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

At this level, you have to be able to assess and recruit without recruiting services and other interest. There are many, many Midwest players, particularily in North Dakota and northern Minnesota, that don't get paid attention to.

UND did not run player assessment camps with Mussman like they now are with Bubba. These camps serve as a very valuable recruiting tool as they are basically a combine for the student-athletes. Today is the camp, and it's very likely UND gets commit #5 today.

Bubba has this program going in the right direction. Period.

He's improved coaching/schemes, recruiting tactics, and gear. Also, the facilities have just happened to improve as well with the HPC and Alerus Center upgrades. UND football will soon be at its rightful place: winning conference championships and competing for national championships.

Cameron Hunt was at camp today and I believe at least a couple of the other recent commits were at the camp in June so the camps are already paying off, Really shocked that Mussman didn't use these types of camps as they are very valuable and I always thought pretty much every D1 ran them.

The HPC must help seal the deal. I'm not sure how to react to having so many verbals this soon but I'll assume it's a good thing.

While I am certainly pleased with the early commitments, it might be a little scary as it doesn't appear that we will have a great deal of scholarships available for next year.  We have 15 seniors - of those, it appears 11-12 are receiving any serious $.  We are aware of some no-shows (both freshmen and veterans) but have no idea how much $/slots that frees up.      

While I am certainly pleased with the early commitments, it might be a little scary as it doesn't appear that we will have a great deal of scholarships available for next year.  We have 15 seniors - of those, it appears 11-12 are receiving any serious $.  We are aware of some no-shows (both freshmen and veterans) but have no idea how much $/slots that frees up.      

My guess is these are not all full rides, so I would think they will be ok with numbers of schollies. All teams seem to find a way to sign 20-30 kids every year. I am not sure all these early commits are a good thing. NDSU has about the same amount and I am not sold that getting commitments this early is good without actually being able to sign them. If they have a less than spectacular senior season you are committed to them anyway, and if they blow up, they can easily de-commit and go elsewhere. 

My guess is these are not all full rides, so I would think they will be ok with numbers of schollies. All teams seem to find a way to sign 20-30 kids every year. I am not sure all these early commits are a good thing. NDSU has about the same amount and I am not sold that getting commitments this early is good without actually being able to sign them. If they have a less than spectacular senior season you are committed to them anyway, and if they blow up, they can easily de-commit and go elsewhere.

One thing obout these guys is they've been offered based off of their in person camp performance and their junior year. Seeing them in person is beyond valuable.

One thing obout these guys is they've been offered based off of their in person camp performance and their junior year. Seeing them in person is beyond valuable.

So these kids were not in other elite camps? Are the other schools just poor talent evaluators that they didn't offer these kids after seeing them in person? I just don't know why everybody thinks because Bubba thinks they are FCS players that they must be great gets. He hasn't proven anything yet. He may prove to be right, but just because he saw them in person doesn't mean anything. These kids were seen by multiple other schools that chose not to offer.  

So these kids were not in other elite camps? Are the other schools just poor talent evaluators that they didn't offer these kids after seeing them in person? I just don't know why everybody thinks because Bubba thinks they are FCS players that they must be great gets. He hasn't proven anything yet.

First - every school has a different recruiting strategy. Some move early to try to lock up the guys they want or get some positive feelings from recruits and families for offering first. Others wait - to see if they can get kids that have FBS dreams that don't pan out. To suggest that a kid can't play because he doesn't have multiple offers is ludicrous.

Second - You couldn't be more wrong about Bubba. He has proven that he can eke out two more wins than the previous year. He has proven he can attract recruits better than his predecessor. He has proven that he can energize a fan base with his authentic style and positive momentum on the field.

Finally, you may want to see a doctor about your unhealthy obsession with UND and Coach Schweigert. It's getting tiresome for all of us.

First - every school has a different recruiting strategy. Some move early to try to lock up the guys they want or get some positive feelings from recruits and families for offering first. Others wait - to see if they can get kids that have FBS dreams that don't pan out. To suggest that a kid can't play because he doesn't have multiple offers is ludicrous.

Second - You couldn't be more wrong about Bubba. He has proven that he can eke out two more wins than the previous year. He has proven he can attract recruits better than his predecessor. He has proven that he can energize a fan base with his authentic style and positive momentum on the field.

Finally, you may want to see a doctor about your unhealthy obsession with UND and Coach Schweigert. It's getting tiresome for all of us.

I think your last sentence sums up his/her whole goal. The enjoyment of trolling a rival's board only pays off if there is some kind of negative reaction. He/she makes a valid point but the source of the opinion and that it stems from indignant disdain for the subject instead of genuine interest and concern is what puts most of us off.

So these kids were not in other elite camps? Are the other schools just poor talent evaluators that they didn't offer these kids after seeing them in person? I just don't know why everybody thinks because Bubba thinks they are FCS players that they must be great gets. He hasn't proven anything yet. He may prove to be right, but just because he saw them in person doesn't mean anything. These kids were seen by multiple other schools that chose not to offer.

Nobody knows for certain on recruiting. I couldn't tell you for sure about other offers, honestly I don't care. Maybe if UND had two fans who were constantly tweeting potential recruits like another school we would have some answers.

I also don't mind your questioning of high school athletes college potential but after a quick scan of your own teams board did not notice any of the same towards your own fanbase. Weird.

but just because he saw them in person doesn't mean anything. .  

You could maybe try a little harder to not appear to be trolling. 

Of course seeing these student-athletes in person is a huge plus. Offering someone based on film and FCS/FBS interest is one thing, but when you see how a student-athlete moves through the same drills that UND runs in practice and takes instructions from the same position coaches that will be coaching him if he commits to UND, that is invaluable. Probably most importantly, you get a better idea of how the student-athletes are as a person while competing and before/after competing. Bubba has recruiting at UND figured out far better than Mussman ever did. Just admit it.

Apparently, your "job" is to come on this board and try to reassure UND fans and yourself that UND will remain a bottom-feeder. Well, I'm afraid you may just have to admit that UND is improving, whether you like it or not. 

Mussman's tactic was to offer many FCS/ lower tier FBS kids early on and hope they would commit later on. Oftentimes, these kids weren't from around here so they would leave after a year or just not fit in to what UND was trying to do. Bubba's Elite Camps help better prevent such mistakes, not to mention his staff is just plain better than Mussman's staff. 

Joe Haeg Brian Schaetz

Player development - something that NDSU is very good at.

Really lacked with the past coaching staff.

The new coaching staff really developed guys with only a spring and fall last year. They say they had a good spring and had great participation this summer including getting nearly all freshmen on campus early. Time will tell but I've liked the change in player development so far.