SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

The Alerus is definitely one of the best facilities in FCS.    If we can win games and fill it up with fans,  it would be considered a tremendous facility. The noise factor can be deafening if we remember the National Championship year.     Everything ties together.    I am pretty sure that the Alerus  and IPF  has a  wow factor to most perspective recruits.   If we win games and get in the playoffs our facilities will have no problem attracting top recruits. 

The Alerus is definitely one of the best facilities in FCS. If we can win games and fill it up with fans, it would be considered a tremendous facility. The noise factor can be deafening if we remember the National Championship year. Everything ties together. I am pretty sure that the Alerus and IPF has a wow factor to most perspective recruits. If we win games and get in the playoffs our facilities will have no problem attracting top recruits.

We'll start seeing how the Alerus is starting to fill up with Bubba's group starting Aug 5th with single game tickets going on sale. Hopefully 10-11k for the Potato Bowl will be a nice start.

I also agree with UND-FB-Fan on the Alerus. It's no Ralph but when talking FCS facilities it is pretty top notch. 12000 chair back seats, suites, beer sales, great locker rooms, new field turf, and some of the nicest video boards in all of FCS. Also being connected to the Canad and just the overal entire complex is rather impressive. The HPC and Alerus are a top 10-20 facility combo in FCS. Also correct me if I am wrong but I believe the current main locker room at memorial was renovated as a temporary solution until phase two is done, so I'm sure even that locker room is rather impressive. Phase two will put UND in pretty good company facility wise. Throw the other 6-7 new buildings going up around UND and the overall UND campus facility tours are pretty impressive to an 18 year old I'm sure.

One man's opinion in reference to the above opinion...

In comparison to other FCS facilities I've seen the locker rooms at Memorial are OK. If you like character, which I do, they are pretty good, but in comparison to other facilities they appear underfunded. Help is on the way for this obviously but I'm hoping its sooner rather than later.

Regarding Alerus's impact on recruiting - again one person's opinion - the facility is great. The game day atmosphere is fairly sad. It even has elicited snickers from recruits, especially late in a lost season. Winning will change a lot and let's hope Bubba and his team can make the game day atmosphere incredible.

Overall from a recruits perspective - aside from the facilities - the program appears underfunded in many ways In comparison to other nearby FCS programs. And it does not help that the best game day atmosphere and trophies are just south of Grand Forks. With that said I think this program is on the right path and the momentum is real. Thanks to Bubba and staff for not letting the program's negatives slow their progress.

In comparison to other FCS facilities I've seen the locker rooms at Memorial are OK. If you like character, which I do, they are pretty good, but in comparison to other facilities they appear underfunded. Help is on the way for this obviously but I'm hoping its sooner rather than later.

Regarding Alerus's impact on recruiting - again one person's opinion - the facility is great. The game day atmosphere is fairly sad. It even has elicited snickers from recruits, especially late in a lost season. Winning will change a lot and let's hope Bubba and his team can make the game day atmosphere incredible.

Overall from a recruits perspective - aside from the facilities - the program appears underfunded in many ways In comparison to other nearby FCS programs. And it does not help that the best game day atmosphere and trophies are just south of Grand Forks. With that said I think this program is on the right path and the momentum is real. Thanks to Bubba and staff for not letting the program's negatives slow their progress.

Biggest need in my opinion, and this applies to all sports is the new weight facility and meeting rooms.  Phase 2 has to get going as soon as approval is given by SBoHE. 

Your points above are very good. 

No question that gameday atmosphere in the Alerus has been lacking, at least during the DI days. Of course, this is largely due to the hopeless seasons where the team is never competing for playoffs. Bring in wins, and people will come. Also, doesn't help that NDSU is so successful and is so nearby; they definitely pull in a lot of bandwagon fans.

Agree with Ozzie on gameday atmosphere and other areas of the program that need funding. I was mostly speaking to the overall building when talking about the Alerus. Gameday atmosphere aside I think the facility is great. while the program still has a ways to go in certain areas i think the entire package that UND has as both a university and football program are very good. Having a coach like Bubba and a staff like they do only further enhances that.

I also agree phase 2 should be a major priority.

I'm going to have to go ahead and side with the upset UND fans in this thread. Bison fans shouldn't be here unless both schools are recruiting the same kid and some legitimate discussion about said kid takes place. At least that's my opinion anyway.

Recruiting is a guessing game and no one knows how any of these kids will turn out. Therefore, on paper, it really shouldn't matter how many offers they have or not. They have 8 verbal's so far from kids that want to play here. How many times do I see Bison fans say how much they want players that really want to be a Bison? A lot. I'm only speculating, but I think the majority of UND fans are pretty aware of the situation their football program is in and was in with the previous coaching staff. Nothing wrong with them being excited about the kids that are coming in and how they'll do under a coach the fans are confident in as well. They're fans just like we are, let them enjoy the future players that are coming into their program. If their team is going to get better, they know they'll need kids that are willing to put in the work.

• Upvote 4

I'm going to have to go ahead and side with the upset UND fans in this thread. Bison fans shouldn't be here unless both schools are recruiting the same kid and some legitimate discussion about said kid takes place. At least that's my opinion anyway.

Recruiting is a guessing game and no one knows how any of these kids will turn out. Therefore, on paper, it really shouldn't matter how many offers they have or not. They have 8 verbal's so far from kids that want to play here. How many times do I see Bison fans say how much they want players that really want to be a Bison? A lot. I'm only speculating, but I think the majority of UND fans are pretty aware of the situation their football program is in and was in with the previous coaching staff. Nothing wrong with them being excited about the kids that are coming in and how they'll do under a coach the fans are confident in as well. They're fans just like we are, let them enjoy the future players that are coming into their program. If their team is going to get better, they know they'll need kids that are willing to put in the work.

This is a great post!!!! Thank you for your kind words!

Finally a Bison fan that gets it.  Recruiting blogs are for people to think positive about the future, especially when your team has had a rough couple of years. I would hope every teams recruiting threads across the country are full of positive thoughts and hopes of a better team, but none of us know how any of these kids are going to pan out.   I would say that Bison fans should be banned from this thread unless they have something productive to add, other than saying....Bubba hasn't proved anything yet, or tell us about a new recruit NDSU just got.  We don't want or need to hear it.   Also I think it is human nature to think every recruit you get is awesome.  I think what most of us are excited about is that we do feel confident in what Bubba and his staff can turn them in to.  I think many of us had our doubts about where Muss could take us.   It's certainly possible that it doesn't all pan out with Bubba, but I think most of us genuinely feel he is going to do a good job and turn things around.  Can't say that I was every too excited the last two years under Muss as to what we could accomplish those years.  I am actually excited again.  I do however think we will still take a lump or two this year, we have a ways to go but we sure seem to be on a much better track right now and it's refreshing.

No question that gameday atmosphere in the Alerus has been lacking, at least during the DI days. Of course, this is largely due to the hopeless seasons where the team is never competing for playoffs. Bring in wins, and people will come. Also, doesn't help that NDSU is so successful and is so nearby; they definitely pull in a lot of bandwagon fans.

Do you think the coaching staff has a video they could throw up on the video board at the alerus when recruits visit of a time the alerus was packed? Maybe some TV Footage of the crowd going wild with the crowd noise - crank up the volume to give the recruits an idea of what it's like. I would think they could use that and say you could make this happen.

I also think they should play the hype video on the video board when the recruits visit the Alerus. The other idea I have is put clips of the recruits big plays up on the video board looping when the recruits come to visit - all about seeming themselves on the screen at the Alerus.

• Upvote 2

Do you think the coaching staff has a video they could throw up on the video board at the alerus when recruits visit of a time the alerus was packed? Maybe some TV Footage of the crowd going wild with the crowd noise - crank up the volume to give the recruits an idea of what it's like. I would think they could use that and say you could make this happen.

I also think they should play the hype video on the video board when the recruits visit the Alerus. The other idea I have is put clips of the recruits big plays up on the video board looping when the recruits come to visit - all about seeming themselves on the screen at the Alerus.

Hockey does something similar at the Ralph right now.

The Alerus now has some really nice video boards, so UND best be using them to their advantage.

http://www.nwherald.com/2015/07/30/huntleys-tim-ryan-commits-to-north-dakota-football/aay8ex6/

Huntley senior Tim Ryan was shocked when he heard his time in the 40-yard dash Saturday at the University of North Dakota’s one-day football camp.

Most players did not hear their times until later, but Ryan had an “in” with former Red Raiders' Brandon Dranka, who was recording times for the coaches.

“When I finished my first race, Brandon told me, ‘You ran a 4.38,’" Ryan said. “I was like, ‘No way. Are you kidding me?’ It’s the fastest I’ve ever run.”

Ryan followed that with a 4.43 and North Dakota’s coaches, who already extended Ryan a scholarship offer six weeks earlier, became more serious about the Raiders’ defensive back. Before Ryan left the Football Championship Subdivision school in Grand Forks, he accepted the offer from head coach Bubba Schweigert and his staff.

Just curious, Are you saying NDSU has bandwagon fans. Also, do you think UND has bandwagon fans?

Just curious, Are you saying NDSU has bandwagon fans. Also, do you think UND has bandwagon fans?

Both UND Hockey and NDSU Football have bandwagon fans. Really any team that wins consistently has them. People like winning teams and tend to go way during the low times...then all of a sudden they are fans again during good times. 

True fans stick it out.

Both UND Hockey and NDSU Football have bandwagon fans. Really any team that wins consistently has them. People like winning teams and tend to go way during the low times...then all of a sudden they are fans again during good times.

True fans stick it out.

This is a recruiting thread.