SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

If these early commits are athletes that have been in our camps this is really exciting news. These coaches have been around long enough to know what it takes and wouldn't commit to these players if it wasn't kids they wanted. I think this coaching staff and the new facilities are going to make a big difference. It might not all turn around this year but I think next year we will be in the playoff hunt. Getting quality players willing to commit early is going to do nothing but help land a lot of great recruits to finish this class off over the next year. When recruits see other god players signing on, I think it makes them feel like UND might just have a great future and want to come here too. Thrilling news.

If these early commits are athletes that have been in our camps this is really exciting news. These coaches have been around long enough to know what it takes and wouldn't commit to these players if it wasn't kids they wanted. I think this coaching staff and the new facilities are going to make a big difference. It might not all turn around this year but I think next year we will be in the playoff hunt. Getting quality players willing to commit early is going to do nothing but help land a lot of great recruits to finish this class off over the next year. When recruits see other god players signing on, I think it makes them feel like UND might just have a great future and want to come here too. Thrilling news.

Absolutely. You don't offer a kid this early unless they show you something. Only extra compelling that it is in person with the coaches.

UND football on the rise.

A new line I picked up tonight from Dom: when a commit doesn't have any other offers, you say:  "but more were sure to come" or "his coaches believes more were coming".   :silly:   

i never said kids with only one offer can't turn out to be good players. I even said NDSU has had D2 transfers and walk-ons contribute. I just don't think you want to fill your entire roster with them. But, I know, Bubba has proven to know what he is doing at the FCS level, with all of his National Champ.., ah multiple playoff appear,,, ah, with his two game improvement last year.

By the way, NDSU got a commitment other than the no other FCS offer kid, a QB out of Kansas that UNI and all of the Dakota schools offered, and that includes Bubba.  

UND football on the rise.

Ok this is the point where an NDSU troll comes and says how Bubba hasn't done anything yet, and our recruits could all be crap.  This is a recruiting thread, just like any other school in the country.....fans our going to positively speculate about our recruits and think positively about the future.  You NDSU fans can stay on your recruiting thread, we don't need you here spouting. 

• Upvote 1

i never said kids with only one offer can't turn out to be good players. I even said NDSU has had D2 transfers and walk-ons contribute. I just don't think you want to fill your entire roster with them. But, I know, Bubba has proven to know what he is doing at the FCS level, with all of his National Champ.., ah multiple playoff appear,,, ah, with his two game improvement last year.

By the way, NDSU got a commitment other than the no other FCS offer kid, a QB out of Kansas that UNI and all of the Dakota schools offered, and that includes Bubba.  

Way to not address anything I said.  I wasn't talking about you either so your post sucked all around.  

Good for NDSU.

Since your reading comprehension skills are typical of someone associated with NDSU, let me point this out to you:

THIS THREAD IS TITLED '2016 UND RECRUITING'!

Nothing to do with NDSU.

UND has 8 verbal commitments before August; Bubba is doing something right, and it's quite hilarious that you just can't get that into your head.

• Upvote 1

Good for NDSU.

I would hope they could pull some good recruits after what they have done lately.  UND needs to try and slowly get some high-end kids along with some diamonds in the rough that need to pan out.  Then, recruiting will slowly get easier but right now they obviously have trouble vs. NDSU for reasons we all know.  

• Upvote 1

I would hope they could pull some good recruits after what they have done lately. UND needs to try and slowly get some high-end kids along with some diamonds in the rough that need to pan out. Then, recruiting will slowly get easier but right now they obviously have trouble vs. NDSU for reasons we all know.

I'm quite happy with what transpired this weekend. Anytime you get 8 commitments over a single weekend, you're doing something right. Another thing that plagued this program during Mussman's tenure is player attrition, and by getting local (ND, MN, WI) prospects who commit this early, UND and Bubba have put themselves in a good position for player development by adding players interested/excited in staying. The family atmosphere they've built also helps that.

I'm quite happy with what transpired this weekend. Anytime you get 8 commitments over a single weekend, you're doing something right. Another thing that plagued this program during Mussman's tenure is player attrition, and by getting local (ND, MN, WI) prospects who commit this early, UND and Bubba have put themselves in a good position for player development by adding players interested/excited in staying. The family atmosphere they've built also helps that.

This recruits Bubba and staff have brought in are cohesive.   this is so important in building a top notch winning team.  sooner rather than later.

8 recruits over a weekend in his SECOND year of coaching is remarkable, he has turned this sinking ship around and it's moving in the right direction. I am sure the recruits are impressed with Bubba's coaching skills and the facilities we offer and cannot wait to play for him.

8 recruits over a weekend in his SECOND year of coaching is remarkable, he has turned this sinking ship around and it's moving in the right direction. I am sure the recruits are impressed with Bubba's coaching skills and the facilities we offer and cannot wait to play for him.

I'm sure that's it!

• Downvote 5

Really excited to hear about the solid recruiting weekend. I'm sure Bubba knows what he is doing and is getting players he can work with. 

Regarding the bison fan trolling in here, a solid way to deal with it is simply ignore it. Ignore any of their comments and just focus on what UND is doing. They are trying to elicit a reaction; just don't give it to them. 

• Upvote 4

I'm sure that's it!

No need to be so rude. I don't think there is any question that Bubba seem to be a more active recruiter that Muss was. Vast majority of UND fans seem to like what they are seeing from a recruiting standpoint. Now we have only seen one season out of him on the sidlines, so this season should be a strong indicator of where Bubba is taking this team.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of the Alerus Center, but there are far worse facilities, and with the IPF, UND is making nice strides in facilities.

Finally, I think before some of the Bison fans get too self righteous, they need to remember there was a time where their fans didn't even think Bohl was going to get the job done. I think we have all see how that worked out. Now I'm not saying Bubba will have the same success rate as Bohl did, or the same number of National Championships. BUT I do think that before people start bashing his process, coaching and recruiting you need to wait and see what he does. 

I do think that Bubba has more of an edge to him that was missing with Muss, and while Muss certainly hit big with a few recruits/transfers, I think Bubba is going to have far more success across the board; not just with a few big players. 

No need to be so rude. I don't think there is any question that Bubba seem to be a more active recruiter that Muss was. Vast majority of UND fans seem to like what they are seeing from a recruiting standpoint. Now we have only seen one season out of him on the sidlines, so this season should be a strong indicator of where Bubba is taking this team.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of the Alerus Center, but there are far worse facilities, and with the IPF, UND is making nice strides in facilities.

Finally, I think before some of the Bison fans get too self righteous, they need to remember there was a time where their fans didn't even think Bohl was going to get the job done. I think we have all see how that worked out. Now I'm not saying Bubba will have the same success rate as Bohl did, or the same number of National Championships. BUT I do think that before people start bashing his process, coaching and recruiting you need to wait and see what he does.

I do think that Bubba has more of an edge to him that was missing with Muss, and while Muss certainly hit big with a few recruits/transfers, I think Bubba is going to have far more success across the board; not just with a few big players.

Bubba is an alpha, Mussman was not.

No need to be so rude. I don't think there is any question that Bubba seem to be a more active recruiter that Muss was. Vast majority of UND fans seem to like what they are seeing from a recruiting standpoint. Now we have only seen one season out of him on the sidlines, so this season should be a strong indicator of where Bubba is taking this team.

Finally, I think before some of the Bison fans get too self righteous, they need to remember there was a time where their fans didn't even think Bohl was going to get the job done. I think we have all see how that worked out. Now I'm not saying Bubba will have the same success rate as Bohl did, or the same number of National Championships. BUT I do think that before people start bashing his process, coaching and recruiting you need to wait and see what he does. 

I do think that Bubba has more of an edge to him that was missing with Muss, and while Muss certainly hit big with a few recruits/transfers, I think Bubba is going to have far more success across the board; not just with a few big players. 

Bubba gets it. Mussman did not. 

Bubba is actually a leader, which is what the head coach should be. I don't want to speak for everyone, but most people I've spoke to certainly wouldn't characterize Mussman as that type of person. He just wasn't head coach material. Doesn't mean Mussman was a bad person or even a bad football coach, just not a head coach. 

Bubba has a plan for UND football and he can relate to both student-athletes and adults (donors, alumni, and high school coaches) to the point that he will grow UND football within that plan. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not the biggest fan of the Alerus Center either, but when you compare the Alerus to the FCS schools of the Big Sky and MVFC, I'd say the Alerus is definitely a top 10 football venue out of those 23 FCS schools. 

So, I guess its relative. Also, if we are looking at the Big Sky and MVFC just for local FCS argument sake, I'd say UND's HPC (indoor practice facility) is the nicest of its kind of all 23 schools. That's a huge recruiting plus. The facilities, then, with top 10 game stadium and number 1 practice facility, are coming together for UND.

Now need to focus on improvements with coaching offices and team meeting rooms. HPC Phase II would get that done. 

• Upvote 1

What a fantastic job by the staff. Regardless of all the other stuff brought up I will just say this many kids committing this early tells me there is a great belief in Bubba, his staff, the program, the facilities, and the university by these young men. Good stuff for sure!

I really like the two Twin Cities kids and the two small school 6'6 kids Pinke and Mortel have a ton of potential and great frames. Pinke has a chance to be in the running for Mr. Basketball this year being that that award is usually a Sr. award. Would be kind of cool for Bubba to sign back to back Mr. Basketballs if he did win it.

I also agree with UND-FB-Fan on the Alerus. It's no Ralph but when talking FCS facilities it is pretty top notch. 12000 chair back seats, suites, beer sales, great locker rooms, new field turf, and some of the nicest video boards in all of FCS. Also being connected to the Canad and just the overal entire complex is rather impressive. The HPC and Alerus are a top 10-20 facility combo in FCS. Also correct me if I am wrong but I believe the current main locker room at memorial was renovated as a temporary solution until phase two is done, so I'm sure even that locker room is rather impressive. Phase two will put UND in pretty good company facility wise. Throw the other 6-7 new buildings going up around UND and the overall UND campus facility tours are pretty impressive to an 18 year old I'm sure.

What a fantastic job by the staff. Regardless of all the other stuff brought up I will just say this many kids committing this early tells me there is a great belief in Bubba, his staff, the program, the facilities, and the university by these young men. Good stuff for sure!

I really like the two Twin Cities kids and the two small school 6'6 kids Pinke and Mortel have a ton of potential and great frames. Pinke has a chance to be in the running for Mr. Basketball this year being that that award is usually a Sr. award. Would be kind of cool for Bubba to sign back to back Mr. Basketballs if he did win it.

I also agree with UND-FB-Fan on the Alerus. It's no Ralph but when talking FCS facilities it is pretty top notch. 12000 chair back seats, suites, beer sales, great locker rooms, new field turf, and some of the nicest video boards in all of FCS. Also being connected to the Canad and just the overal entire complex is rather impressive. The HPC and Alerus are a top 10-20 facility combo in FCS. Also correct me if I am wrong but I believe the current main locker room at memorial was renovated as a temporary solution until phase two is done, so I'm sure even that locker room is rather impressive. Phase two will put UND in pretty good company facility wise. Throw the other 6-7 new buildings going up around UND and the overall UND campus facility tours are pretty impressive to an 18 year old I'm sure.

Anyone know the date when the HPC will be open to the public (would love a tour) also what's the status on phase two?