SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

They have a decent passing game but if they need to rely on it consistently to win throughout a game they are in trouble. Stop the RB...stop the RB....stop the RB....force 2/3 and long.....you'll be fine. They are legit, bring the noise in the stands and go for the W. this is a huge game for you guys, and hanging a L on sdsu before they start the valley could spell a bit of trouble for them.

That's the way it works with Zenner. 3...3...5...3...80.

That's a pretty accurate observation. In many games, Zenner gets loose and goes for a long ramble. Here's some video from the opening minutes of SDSU at Kansas last year...Zenner takes the ball in the endzone and goes the distance, chased by a Kansas defensive back who is supposed to have great speed.

No one is certain whether this year's version of the Jackrabbits will run more or pass more. Recent history indicates we'll lean on the run more but we have a deep stable of very capable receivers of all sizes and you're going to see a lot of passing.

I'm still undecided about whether to drive up from Watertown, SD...pretty easy trip for me.

They have a decent passing game but if they need to rely on it consistently to win throughout a game they are in trouble. Stop the RB...stop the RB....stop the RB....force 2/3 and long.....you'll be fine. They are legit, bring the noise in the stands and go for the W. this is a huge game for you guys, and hanging a L on sdsu before they start the valley could spell a bit of trouble for them.

Is their QB a scrambler or pocket passer? Also when you say not that reliable passing game is it the passer or the receivers that aren't that good.

Is their QB a scrambler or pocket passer? Also when you say not that reliable passing game is it the passer or the receivers that aren't that good.

I don't think they rely on the passing game cause they have one of the top RBs in FCS. If you can move the ball that way, why throw?

That's a pretty accurate observation. In many games, Zenner gets loose and goes for a long ramble. Here's some video from the opening minutes of SDSU at Kansas last year...Zenner takes the ball in the endzone and goes the distance, chased by a Kansas defensive back who is supposed to have great speed.

No one is certain whether this year's version of the Jackrabbits will run more or pass more. Recent history indicates we'll lean on the run more but we have a deep stable of very capable receivers of all sizes and you're going to see a lot of passing.

I'm still undecided about whether to drive up from Watertown, SD...pretty easy trip for me.

Cripes, he is fast!! Wow!! Can't afford a single missed tackle on him. Or else this will happen!!

The thing that strikes me most about this game is that it may be the first time in the 12-plus years of UND playing football in the Alerus that the home team is considered a big underdog. Of course, it will also likely happen three more times in the next month or so.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. How times have changed!

I think UND deserves to be ranked in the top 10 if not top 5 if they beat the next 4 teams. (SDSU, UM, MSU, EWU) Plus attendance if that happens will skyrocket, and the word playoffs would be on everyones minds. That would be such a huge boost to this team, BUT one tree at a time to chop down.

I think UND deserves to be ranked in the top 10 if not top 5 if they beat the next 4 teams. (SDSU, UM, MSU, EWU) Plus attendance if that happens will skyrocket, and the word playoffs would be on everyones minds. That would be such a huge boost to this team, BUT one tree at a time to chop down.

IF we win the next 4 home games along with the 1 road game (everyone keeps overlooking Idaho State in Pocatello), then we definitely will be ranked in the top 10 because we would be undefeated and 2 current top 5 teams (MSU and EWU) will have a loss. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyway we can go 6-0 to start this season. I'm just hoping for a 4-2 start - that's my best case scenario.

Now, until we see this team play against real competition like what will happen this weekend vs. SDSU, there is no way to know if UND is really capable of going 6-0 or 4-2 in the first 6. Based on last season, it would seem that 2-4 is the most probable start. This weekend's game will be a great measuring stick!!

I don't see us winning all 4. Honestly, I'm still a bit skeptical for the simple fact that I don't think we have the talent on defense that is necessary to compete on that level. Yes, we are stellar at the receiver position. However, we have a couple of freshman, talented, but still freshman quarterbacks. We can put up 28 points a game but if we are giving up 30 its all for nothing. If I was a betting man I have us going 1-3 in the next 4. Just being objective and I hope I'm wrong but we are still a 2 years away from really competing at a high level in my honest opinion.

I don't see us winning all 4. Honestly, I'm still a bit skeptical for the simple fact that I don't think we have the talent on defense that is necessary to compete on that level. Yes, we are stellar at the receiver position. However, we have a couple of freshman, talented, but still freshman quarterbacks. We can put up 28 points a game but if we are giving up 30 its all for nothing. If I was a betting man I have us going 1-3 in the next 4. Just being objective and I hope I'm wrong but we are still a 2 years away from really competing at a high level in my honest opinion.

I think a 7-4 record with a couple of signature wins vs. top FCS teams would qualify as a successful season. It also would reassure our fan base that the program is taking positive steps forward.

If they could beat those 4 teams they will be a solid #2 on every ballot, a more realistic goal would be 2 of those 4 plus Idaho State for a 4-2 start, with the schedule getting friendlier the second half that should translate into a playoff berth.

I think the SDSU game is huge for momentum before hitting the 3 BSC teams.

If they could beat those 4 teams they will be a solid #2 on every ballot, a more realistic goal would be 2 of those 4 plus Idaho State for a 4-2 start, with the schedule getting friendlier the second half that should translate into a playoff berth.

I only bring up polls since UND is not in one and even USD gets votes so UND is not a name so what's the best way to make a name for yourself...beat the big boys, and it starts with SDSU and finishes with EWU (NAU comes later). 4 games, 4 ranked teams, plus for each win the confidence factor in the team grows and grows. UND has a long history of winning even against tough opponents so its not impossible, but after this month (and first week in Oct) we can see if UND can do it.

I'm curious as to theories of how SDSU has managed to have more success as an FCS program than in dII?

Along the same lines, I'm curious as to what happened to Northern Colorado............

In their best years, SDSU was a middle of the pack NCC team. UNC, along with North Dakota and NDSU, and to an extent UN-Omaha, were always the top football programs in the NCC. Northern Colorado has had an astonishing fall from grace, just as SDSU has had a meteoric rise.................

4-2 has to be at worst the record thru 6 games IMO especially w 4 of next 5 at home. Throw in Sac St at home in game 7 and 5-2 should be realistic.

Along the same lines, I'm curious as to what happened to Northern Colorado............

In their best years, SDSU was a middle of the pack NCC team. UNC, along with North Dakota and NDSU, and to an extent UN-Omaha, were always the top football programs in the NCC. Northern Colorado has had an astonishing fall from grace, just as SDSU has had a meteoric rise.................

You can trace their decline from the point when Joe Glenn left. He was/is a great coach, motivator, and probably most important for UNC he was a charismatic ambassador for the program which really helped their fundraising.