SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

It just boggles my mind how people on this thread state “if this gets into a passing war I give the edge to UND”. I guess I am just a curious person, but what makes you come to that conclusion? Do you not recall the year previous to Zenner? Do you not recall that Sumner was the freshman of the year in MVC and set the record for passing yards? Just boggles my mind that many of you have stated their passing game is just okay. Last year he may have had a downfall but who wouldn’t with torn ligaments in their throwing hand, he had one ligament left attaching part of the thumb? If you do a little research it is stated “that not many quarterbacks are comparable to Sumner in the FCS….and or FBS”…Not sure if you have seen him play but he has the smarts, technique, and arm to punish teams…and that’s just a bonus with the beast Zenner in the backfield. Prediction SDSU wins 49-17

So on a UND message board where most people are predicted an SDSU win, apparently we're not predicting the score to be wide enough for you? D'okay. Perhaps trolling? I'll bite anyway.

I'm not going to go back through the thread, but I think it was only one Bison poster that said SDSU's passing game was just okay. I don't recall UND fans saying UND has the edge in the passing game. Maybe someone did, but I don't recall it being some kind of theme that warranted your outburst.

I don't think UND necessarily has the edge in a "passing war," but I think it's reasonable to think UND has a better chance to win in a passing game than a running game. The reason is simple and it has nothing to do with what I think about SDSU's passing game (which admittedly is not much). UND has not proven it has a good running game, run defense, or pass defense. The only thing it has proven is that it has a good passing game. So at least UND has a fighting chance to keep the game close in a track meet. It doesn't mean UND will win though. Given what I saw last year against Montana State and Eastern Washington, I can't help but think that UND is going to lose handily to the top-level FCS competition regardless of what type of game it is. I guess I'll think that way until UND proves me wrong (which, I hope, starts this weekend).

Just remember Bohl couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag going into 2010 and now look at him. They about to erect a statue of a giant golden cue ball in his honor.

Could care less what the bison "faithful" think/thought, because Bohl had the team once ranked #1 before the 09 and 2010 season issues even started. He obviously had produced well before the spoiled Ag School fans got pissy during the '09 season. Lets wait and see this year on Mussman; no reason with the HOME schedule he's been given that this should be another blown season.

• Upvote 2

If this game turns into a passing game then the advantage will be in UNDs favor for 3 simple reasons: Harden, Jackson, Galladay. Obviously, if UND is in a position to match up our WRs against anyone it gives us a better chance than any alternative. Do I think that the game will turn into a passing game? No, because I think the Jacks will have success running the ball against us. However, that doesn't change the fact that if UND has one positional advantage in the game it is without a doubt at the WR position.

I think by now we all know who are the Mussman haters are here and will be the first to start the Fire Mussman page. At the end of the day it's a game played by students who are going to school for an education first (or at some schools just going to school to play football). Just enjoy the season for what it is - recreation and socialization opportunties.

Not a fan of either just like to read all of the different forums out there....but in all reality if it comes down to a passing contest there is no way UND can hang. But to each their own as they say.

Not a fan of either SDSU or FU?

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?12541-Nebraska-2013&p=234255#post234255

He seems to have quicker feet than the previous two years...biggest thing though I believe is being able to see the rush coming and know where to avoid it...seems as if he does a great job of that..I think well hope that our O-Line does as good as job all year as they did last weekend. I know games will get tougher but so will the JACKS.

So when you said "our" did you mean "your"? Or was that posted by a different "timeforachange"?

I think by now we all know who are the Mussman haters are here and will be the first to start the Fire Mussman page. At the end of the day it's a game played by students who are going to school for an education first (or at some schools just going to school to play football). Just enjoy the season for what it is - recreation and socialization opportunties.

"A good loser is probably someone who has too much practice at it."

-Bob Knight

• Upvote 2

From article in Grand Forks Herald:

"I think we're on our way," Faison said of the football team. "We've seen significant progress. Obviously we're in a very competitive conference. But at the end of the day what gets you into the playoffs is wins."

Lets see them W's! Starting this weekend with SDSU!

Busted! Sure...seems like...it...is his...typing...style.

Along with that, the only people that call SDSU "state" are SDSU fans.

Personally, I think our new guest is overrating Sumner and underrating what Zenner is able to open up for him. I also find it interesting that their leader in receptions was listed as a RB last year (graduated) and their WR with the most receptions also graduated. Along with a few other graduations, it looks like they lost about 50% of their production from last year (receptions and yards). Not sure what their WR corps looks like this year, any SDSU fans want to give us a little preview?

The problem is he hasn't got the job done. I'm not saying he won't eventually get it done, but how long do we wait? 10 years? 15 years? He hasn't delivered yet. It's fine if supporters are optimistic for this season, as am I, but don't commend the man for doing nothing so far. He's obviously on a different level (in a bad way) compared to Bohl. Now, hopefully this season is the year Mussman takes a big jump as a leader/coach by getting us into the playoffs and it starts this weekend vs. South Dakota State.

SDSU was patient with Stig and I am pretty sure they are very happy with how that has turned out. The problem is that everyone wants results today and it rarely works out like that, sometimes you need to have a little patience. UND has come a long way in recruiting talent the last two years and it just happens to go along with getting past the name issue, getting into a conference, and being playoff eligible.

I think to a certain degree acting like a confident leader makes a difference, but it certainly isn't everything. With that said, Mussman hasn't produced and his timid coaching style has led to losses vs. DII teams and blowouts vs good FCS teams. Not to mention that elephant in the room that is no FBS wins while NDSU has knocked off 4 in a row. Like I've said before though, lets get through these next 5 games and see then where he's at for this season.

Pretty sure that what you see on a TV interview isn't what he looks like while actually coaching players.

To me the only way UND wins this game is a track meet. The defense hasn't improved enough to hold the Jacks down. While the ultimate success or failure of the season will reside in the improvement of the D (IMHO), there hasn't been nearly enough game opportunities for that improvement to take place yet. I think this game will have a 2012 Montana feel to it.

Along with that, the only people that call SDSU "state" are SDSU fans.

Personally, I think our new guest is overrating Sumner and underrating what Zenner is able to open up for him. I also find it interesting that their leader in receptions was listed as a RB last year (graduated) and their WR with the most receptions also graduated. Along with a few other graduations, it looks like they lost about 50% of their production from last year (receptions and yards). Not sure what their WR corps looks like this year, any SDSU fans want to give us a little preview?

They have a 6'5" WR that looked pretty good against Butler and a few other that looked pretty good as well. It's hard to know how good and I think Sumner actually didn't have a great game in spite of the passing numbers. He is a good QB and SDSU will likely be run first, but they do have the ability to throw as well.

They have a 6'5" WR that looked pretty good against Butler and a few other that looked pretty good as well. It's hard to know how good and I think Sumner actually didn't have a great game in spite of the passing numbers. He is a good QB and SDSU will likely be run first, but they do have the ability to throw as well.

Hopefully UND's d-backs are used to going against a taller WR or two from practice. I think Sumner is a good QB but that comment “that not many quarterbacks are comparable to Sumner in the FCS….and or FBS” seems like a little bit of a stretch and having Zenner for the D to focus on definitely can't hurt either. Sounds like they throw a lot of over the middle and slants, which work well when the LB have to freeze to key on the RB.

I am not underrating Zenner at all..but you have to look at the year previous to Zenner and what Sumner accomplished..yes he did have better receievers but I believe this years receivers core are going to impress some people. And Tyrel Kool was listed as a running back but that was after he was previously a wide receiever the first two three years.

Hopefully UND's d-backs are used to going against a taller WR or two from practice. I think Sumner is a good QB but that comment “that not many quarterbacks are comparable to Sumner in the FCS….and or FBS” seems like a little bit of a stretch and having Zenner for the D to focus on definitely can't hurt either. Sounds like they throw a lot of over the middle and slants, which work well when the LB have to freeze to key on the RB.

Sumner is good, but he certainly isn't near what Sorenson was at SUU. The big difference is that Sumner has a much better running game to go along with his skills.

• Upvote 1

Yah Bobby Knight quite the role model for life.

3 NCAA championships, 11 b1g championships, 1 Olympic gold medal, 4 time national coach of the year, 0 NCAA infractions, donated millions for a new library at UI, had a 80% graduation rate among his players when the national average is 42% in DI.

Don't let a chair throw fool you. He is one of the most well respected men in NCAA/sports history.

3 NCAA championships, 11 b1g championships, 1 Olympic gold medal, 4 time national coach of the year, 0 NCAA infractions, donated millions for a new library at UI, had a 80% graduation rate among his players when the national average is 42% in DI.

Don't let a chair throw fool you. He is one of the most well respected men in NCAA/sports history.

Coached Coach K...