SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

This is touching on something that I've wondered about: Of late, UND looks smaller than many opponents. Maybe it's the black uniforms. Maybe it's the Hardin factor. He's not big (neither is McGill). Maybe it's TV. But to my eyes UND's legs, and many of the players in general, are smaller than the opposition.

Our DBs are small for the most part. LBs are good sized/big. DL has some big boys. OL is big but pretty lean. RBs are small. QBs are big. WRs are small and big. Our kickers are big too, Zeb is built like an LB. it might be the unis and a few really small guys here and there. As a team we're actually bigger than NDSU.

Our DBs are small for the most part. LBs are good sized/big. DL has some big boys. OL is big but pretty lean. RBs are small. QBs are big. WRs are small and big. Our kickers are big too, Zeb is built like an LB. it might be the unis and a few really small guys here and there. As a team we're actually bigger than NDSU.

Size doesn't mean as much as you may think. NDSU linebackers would be considered undersized (210-220 lbs), as would their d-line (their ends may be 240lbs), but they are fast and athletic. KSU beat writer tweeted during the game how he was surprised by the speed of the NDSU defense. I have seen lots of 6 foot 300 lb d-linemen ove the past 8 years in FCS, and they typically get dominated.

Unfortunately, it is the same. I went to the Valpo game and was hoping to see major changes in our defense.....I did not.

I don't know how this game will turn out, but I think UND needs to score 45 to win. It will be interesting to see how Bartels handles an FCS defense that can put a little pressure on him. If they throw the ball like they did last week, it will be a game. I say Zenner gets between 200 and 250 yards on the ground.

The Jacks played 66 players in the Butler game. For a significant part of the second half, nearly everyone on the field was a freshman or sophomore.

Our offensive line average weight is 307…”smallest” guy is 295. It’s hard to measure the strength of the offensive line based on the Butler game but I think they’ll play well against even the best defense. The offensive line protected Sumner all day long and he had lots of time to pick his targets. (We know that won’t happen at Grand Forks…but, it was a good tuneup and nobody got hurt.)

We had eight receivers catch passes. Sumner was 22 of 32 for 326 yards passing including three TDs, a couple of which zipped through some tight defense…. the zip is back on his passes following thumb surgery after last season. The backup QB got a lot of playing time and that was great to see. He was 3 of 3 passing for 33 yards including a TD.

As noted, eight receivers caught passes. #83 Schneider was the primary target in this game with 10 receptions for 167 yards. He’s an experienced junior and is a typical SDSU tight end of recent years (pro’s have liked them), 6-5, decent speed, capable blocker, great hands, agile. But, in most games Schneider may not be the primary receiver.

Zach Zenner had a relatively light day. He had 16 carries for 117 yards. I thought the middle of the Butler defense stiffened up nicely early in the game. Later, our backup, Gandy, had some nice runs through the middle but the Butler guys had to be wearing down.

The Jacks played 66 players in the Butler game. For a significant part of the second half, nearly everyone on the field was a freshman or sophomore.

Our offensive line average weight is 307…”smallest” guy is 295. It’s hard to measure the strength of the offensive line based on the Butler game but I think they’ll play well against even the best defense. The offensive line protected Sumner all day long and he had lots of time to pick his targets. (We know that won’t happen at Grand Forks…but, it was a good tuneup and nobody got hurt.)

We had eight receivers catch passes. Sumner was 22 of 32 for 326 yards passing including three TDs, a couple of which zipped through some tight defense…. the zip is back on his passes following thumb surgery after last season. The backup QB got a lot of playing time and that was great to see. He was 3 of 3 passing for 33 yards including a TD.

As noted, eight receivers caught passes. #83 Schneider was the primary target in this game with 10 receptions for 167 yards. He’s an experienced junior and is a typical SDSU tight end of recent years (pro’s have liked them), 6-5, decent speed, capable blocker, great hands, agile. But, in most games Schneider may not be the primary receiver.

Zach Zenner had a relatively light day. He had 16 carries for 117 yards. I thought the middle of the Butler defense stiffened up nicely early in the game. Later, our backup, Gandy, had some nice runs through the middle but the Butler guys had to be wearing down.

Thanks for the update. Getting pressure on Sumner will be key. Our defensive struggles of last year are well known and getting to the QB was a contributing factor. SDSU will present UND with challenges all over the field, possibly the biggest being the challenge up front.

I agree that timing is probably the biggest factor, along with continuity and competency of the head coach--which may explain why timing did not help UNC. Still, I can't help but think that being the only regional FCS program to still play outside is generally a recruiting disadvantage, especially for any recruits from outside of the immediate area. That is probably one of the reasons UND was able to win recruiting battles for kids like McGill and Sparks, even while not being playoff eligible at the time.

I'm sure SDSU has lost a couple recruits to UND but I know Sparks had a better offer at UND. That's what makes it so hard to compare between FCS schools for recruits. State could offer a half and UND could offer a full. Only the coaches know.

Size doesn't mean as much as you may think. NDSU linebackers would be considered undersized (210-220 lbs), as would their d-line (their ends may be 240lbs), but they are fast and athletic. KSU beat writer tweeted during the game how he was surprised by the speed of the NDSU defense. I have seen lots of 6 foot 300 lb d-linemen ove the past 8 years in FCS, and they typically get dominated.

Never said it mattered. Just answered a question about size. 3-4 defenses have bigger players. Size doesn't matter nearly as much as being good at football, agility, flexibility, speed, body composition, toughness, and awareness. It does help though.

Last time we played SDSU and got our asses kicked on a miserable day a player told me they had the meanest most physical offensive line they've ever played against. I expect them to open holes from time to time no matter how good the d plays. It's just up to the LBs and safeties to make the plays when that happens.

I was surprised at the number of first downs Butler got against SDSU, no matter who was playing.

SDSU had 22 first downs and Butler had 17. Four of Butler's first downs, however, were gifts from SDSU -- penalties. Penalties were the one real disappointment in the game. SDSU had 10 penalties for 103 yards. Butler had two penalties. We badly need to clean up that stat.

Note to the coaches 3 things that I think SDSU will do on Saturday pooch kick on kickoffs', kick out of bounds on punts and to take a page out of NDSU's and run alot of screens to Zenner. Account for the runningback in passing downs. But I'm sure there game plan to have long time comsuming drives to keep the ball out of UND's playmakers hands.

SDSU has a bonaide FCS playoff type defense so great test for our young QB's. Looking at the games they play this month it could be a tough month for them if they leave the AL with L .I get the feeling they are not looking forward to this game.

Note to the coaches 3 things that I think SDSU will do on Saturday pooch kick on kickoffs', kick out of bounds on punts and to take a page out of NDSU's and run alot of screens to Zenner. Account for the runningback in passing downs. But I'm sure there game plan to have long time comsuming drives to keep the ball out of UND's playmakers hands.

SDSU has a bonaide FCS playoff type defense so great test for our young QB's. Looking at the games they play this month it could be a tough month for them if they leave the AL with L .I get the feeling they are not looking forward to this game.

Who isn't looking forward to this game? Are you referring to the team there?

I don't know how this game will turn out, but I think UND needs to score 45 to win. It will be interesting to see how Bartels handles an FCS defense that can put a little pressure on him. If they throw the ball like they did last week, it will be a game. I say Zenner gets between 200 and 250 yards on the ground.

I can't imagine that either team will score 45 points. That's not the style of play at SDSU. I would say that the winner will score 30 points max. Both teams will have to work very hard to sustain drives, and there will be a lot of punting. Just my hunch. SDSU will try to establish Zenner which could be tough and control the ball, and UND won't be able to throw at will vs SDSU. Pretty good corners (22 & 14) at SDSU.

Like most people, I'm very concerned about run defense. I'm concerned about line play in general. I did not see the domination at the line of scrimmage that you'd like to see against a team like Valpo. I see SDSU's offense running the ball relatively easily and consistently converting on 3rd downs and moving the chains. And I see UND having difficulty establishing a run game and SDSU will do a good enough job containing the passing game to win by a comfortable margin. I hope I'm wrong because UND really needs a big non-conference win like this one.

Like most people, I'm very concerned about run defense. I'm concerned about line play in general. I see SDSU's offense running the ball relatively easily and consistently converting on 3rd downs and moving the chains. And I see UND having difficulty establishing a run game and SDSU will do a good enough job containing the passing game to win by a comfortable margin. I hope I'm wrong because UND really needs a big non-conference win like this one.

I think your summary above is very likely. UND will not win a track meet/shootout type game. They have to run the ball some and stop the run some. If both those things don't happen, I don't think UND will stay within 2 TDs. I am optimistic that the D can't be a bad as last year, especially vs. the run, and will give this team a fighting chance thru September. I hope I'm wrong as well on the potential outcome.

Watching the Valpo game, I kept thinking that if their qb had any accuracy they would've been on the move consistently. Lots of balls thrown in the dirt (err - rubber pellets), and out of the reach of open receivers. Accordingly, I'm scared to death of what might happen on Saturday to our defense. I'll take some solice in what a few have posted regarding "showing our defensive playbook unnessesarily"... hopefully we have some tricks up our sleeves to answer their experienced offense.

I want a win, I expect a close game, but will not bet my first-born on either. (nor my second born. my wife maybe..... :whistling: )

ratelle?

Yep, his name was included as well. LBs will see plenty of action this week.

Edit: I re-read the tweet. Said Mussman expects most back. Listed Ratelle, Walker, Jackson, Kuska and Labat. We will need all hands on deck this week. Depth isn't there at some positions.