SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Even if Feufung wasn't a threat, all it takes to impact Grand Sky and our drone industry is the perception of a threat.  Frankly, I think people were kind of gaslit on Feufung/spying.  At this point, it doesn't matter whether they are a legitimate threat or not.

I'm also curious what it was that caused the Air Force to finally take a public stance on this.  I'd give it two to one odds that the Air Force came out against this publicly for political/geopolitical reasons.  If Feufung was a legit threat, I'm sure the feds would have made it known to the Mayor early on in the process. 

Kinda feel like this spy balloon may be related to this in one way or another as well. 

• Upvote 1

Without knowing Grand Sky's real impact, is it fair to conclude that the nation's utterly 'mission critical' drone efforts would take place a little more incognito than a conspicuously branded facility adjacent an AFB on a major US highway?  I mean, setting aside ND's obvious self interests, does anyone believe that the nation's top military secrets and national defense were really ever on the line here?  It's not like we're talking about missile silos or a fleet of B-52s, which tend to stick out. 

Has every private real estate transaction in and around Emerado/GF County been scrutinized to this level?  Every building permit?

As an American, I want to believe that our counter-espionage efforts do not hinge on an up/down permitting vote of the Grand Forks City Council.

This all just smacks of 'espionage theater.'  We only know what the powers that be want us to know anyway.

Now I'm suddenly craving a Pepsi...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Has every private real estate transaction in and around Emerado/GF County been scrutinized to this level?  Every building permit?

As an American, I want to believe that our counter-espionage efforts do not hinge on an up/down permitting vote of the Grand Forks City Council.

This all just smacks of 'espionage theater.'  We only know what the powers that be want us to know anyway.

Now I'm suddenly craving a Pepsi...

It sure has some of that stink to it. Like the AF didn't actually care, but the "Threat to National Security!!!" uproar got loud enough that they had to play along just to keep China guessing. To continue to completely ignore it would signal to China that there's less going on here than they want the world (including We The People) to believe. 

Who the hell amongst us knows, though. All we can do is speculate. Hell, for all I know you could be a Chinese spy sent to SS.com to plant false theories that throw the GOBC off the path of discovering the truth. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Saw a 'coming soon' sign for "Shoot 360" - some sort of basketball simulation/training - next to the Holiday on Washington.

Website says there's already one in Fargo, 5409 53rd Ave S...anyone have any idea about it?  Lots more coming nationwide, from the looks of it.

Coupled with the new-ish sports place at the old Hornbachers, and the revamped Northern Air, seems like indoor recreation may finally be having its day.

The city has it on their development projects  website.  Looks to be about 10k square feet.

21 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Saw a 'coming soon' sign for "Shoot 360" - some sort of basketball simulation/training - next to the Holiday on Washington.

Website says there's already one in Fargo, 5409 53rd Ave S...anyone have any idea about it?  Lots more coming nationwide, from the looks of it.

Coupled with the new-ish sports place at the old Hornbachers, and the revamped Northern Air, seems like indoor recreation may finally be having its day.

• Upvote 1

City leadership is one of the biggest attributes for city growth.

the lack of leadership and too much conservatism is why grand forks is where it is now.

look how Fargo has grown and look how stagnant grand forks is.  The previous mayor is part and a majority of the reason why.

at least this mayor is trying to do things .

‘GF needs to start taking chances.

when you can’t get a bridge built or an exit ramp on interstate someone is failing the city.

it should be 2 bridges and 2 exit ramps now, then start working on the next exit.

want to see leadership look at the last 2 mayors in Williston 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kab said:

City leadership is one of the biggest attributes for city growth.

the lack of leadership and too much conservatism is why grand forks is where it is now.

look how Fargo has grown and look how stagnant grand forks is.  The previous mayor is part and a majority of the reason why.

at least this mayor is trying to do things .

‘GF needs to start taking chances.

when you can’t get a bridge built or an exit ramp on interstate someone is failing the city.

it should be 2 bridges and 2 exit ramps now, then start working on the next exit.

want to see leadership look at the last 2 mayors in Williston 

Infrastructure is a small part.  Focus on UAV.  The future.  Bo is trying.  Fufeng was a big misstep.  Some other company will fill that spot.

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Based on what? A very small minority of people who are still angry about who knows what?

The process worked exactly as intended and laid out from the very beginning. There were multiple stop-guards in place to protect Grand Forks and allow the plug to be pulled on the project if an actual reason to do so came up. One did and it was immediately shutdown by the city council.

The mayor following through with what he campaigned on, trying to grow the city economy, does not put him on the hot seat.

If people are worried about their property taxes by having new business come to GF their may be some special assessments.

if new business don’t come to town their taxes will have a smaller tax base and will go up and infrastructure still needs replacing and updating.

I think the mayor did things correctly.’some people want to micromanage every  little detail, progress isn’t made that way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

A very small minority of people who are still angry about who knows what?

if you listen to the dumpster fire on knox 1310 between 3-6 pm, they would have you believe the whole 50k+ people in town were against it from the start.  that blowhard is still patting himself on the back(as if he had ANYTHING to do with what transpirred)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...