SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

27 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

I hope they have deep pockets as the new homeowners will be fighting dust storms and blowing dust year around.  

Rose Creek in Fargo was once in the heart of rural dust storms too. Same for Davies HS. 

Where I lived in GF back in the day, across the street was a spud field (guy's gotta eat); today it's a movie theatre. 

2 hours ago, 1972 said:

that price point may be a bit ambitious....$500k-$800k?! 

Example: $560-600k
Say $60-100k for the lot.
At 2000 sq ft and say $500k for the house, that's $250 per sq ft. That's not hard to do. 

I was $200 a square about 20 years ago and I'm all maple flooring/woodwork and cherry cabinetry. I can't imagine today. 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Example: $560-600k
Say $60-100k for the lot.
At 2000 sq ft and say $500k for the house, that's $250 per sq ft. That's not hard to do. 

I was $200 a square about 20 years ago and I'm all maple flooring/woodwork and cherry cabinetry. I can't imagine today. 

may be, but it is WELL above what im gonna pay for a home in a dirt field....mostlikely wont see any trees that are worth while for atleast 15 years...not counting evergreens

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

According to sources, the FCC was not inclined to grant a waiver to Forum Communications to purchase a second major television affiliate in the Fargo market. They already own WDAY-TV, which is an ABC affiliate. 

https://kfgo.com/2023/06/06/kvrr-parent-company-terminates-purchase-deal-with-forum-communications/ 

Yet single ownership can run KVLY and KXJB.
Curious. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Article discusses the status of the GF airport.  https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/bigger-aircraft-means-mainline-service-returns-to-grand-forks-international-airport-for-first-time-since-2005

How often does UND athletics fly commercial from Grand Forks?  

Good thing I suppose with ASU is that there is an existing Allegient flight to the area, which is pretty lucky.  Really can't believe Grand Forks doesn't have a Denver connection. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Article discusses the status of the GF airport.  https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/bigger-aircraft-means-mainline-service-returns-to-grand-forks-international-airport-for-first-time-since-2005

How often does UND athletics fly commercial from Grand Forks?  

Good thing I suppose with ASU is that there is an existing Allegient flight to the area, which is pretty lucky.  Really can't believe Grand Forks doesn't have a Denver connection. 

Sounds like they are talking with a couple more carriers

need Denver  and  Chicago routes 

UA jumped at the federal $$$ shortly after the new GFK terminal opened and then bailed less than a year later.  I got to take advantage of the DEN nonstop exactly once.

With just two gates (but supposedly room for expansion) does anybody worry about too much growth too soon?

Not exactly news, but DL absolutely needs to restore GFK to 5x per day...connections in MSP went from kind-of convenient to EITHER 40 minutes OR 3 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's unlikely that GFK will ever land a second large carrier unless there are significant subsidies involved.  I only fly about 5 times a year and live about 100 miles from both GFK and FAR.  I stopped even checking Delta fares from GFK a few years back.  From Fargo, Delta fares usually seem to be the most expensive compared to all the other options at Hector.  Then there seems to be another $100 or so premium on GFK Delta flights compared to Fargo.

I feel like a Denver route would make sense in theory, but United was here a decade ago and it apparently wasn't used enough.  Perhaps a Chicago route or even DFW via American would be utilized more from GFK?

I've also heard more than once from Grand Forkers that drive from Grand Forks to Devils Lake to fly, because it is cheaper than Delta GFK flights.

If I fly Allegiant, I do try to use GFK whenever possible, because I'd hate to lose that service, especially the Florida flight........

3 hours ago, Kab said:

I thought Hugo’s was building something 9n south part of town 

is that going to happen or did I miss something 

maybe waiting for Sanford decisions 

Guessing the decision to go downtown delayed the decision for a few years. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Could Grand Forks build and operate a national drone museum?  Would have synergies with UND, Grand Sky, and the Air Force base.  Would help with branding Grand Forks as the center of the drone industry.  I googled it, and found this museum, which is dedicated to US military drones.  https://www.auvm.net/

Could be something for people to go to while in town, and they could learn about the drone industry here while they are there.

That's good enough to be a @SIOUXFAN97 idea!  :D 

I like it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Could Grand Forks build and operate a national drone museum?  Would have synergies with UND, Grand Sky, and the Air Force base.  Would help with branding Grand Forks as the center of the drone industry.  I googled it, and found this museum, which is dedicated to US military drones.  https://www.auvm.net/

Could be something for people to go to while in town, and they could learn about the drone industry here while they are there.

Excellent  idea.

• Like 1

Longtime Fergus Falls dealership Nelson Auto is moving into the Grand Forks market.

According to a release, the Nelson family has purchased Lithia Ford and Lithia Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram dealerships in Grand Forks. Located in North Dakota's Red River Valley, Lithia has been serving drivers in Grand Forks and surrounding areas since 2006.

“We look forward to being part of the Grand Forks community,” said Adam Nelson, “and my wife Oriana and our sons, Benjamin and Anders are happy to call Grand Forks our new home!” In addition to Nelson Auto Center in Fergus Falls, the Nelson family owns three dealerships in western North Dakota, known as Red Rock Ford and Red Rock Auto in Williston, Dickinson and Watford City.

The acquisition will add to already existing dealerships the family already owns and operates in North Dakota.

“We were raised in Western Minnesota, but have grown deep roots in North Dakota over the past 12 years,” said Alex Nelson, “and both our parents are UND alumni. Our family looks forward to adding two more dealerships to our North Dakota family of stores.”

They are planning to significantly grow the size and services of the dealerships in North Dakota and will immediately focus on the service departments, adding technicians and customer support staff and remain committed to offering the most competitive offers on new and used vehicles in the region.

Over time, the Nelsons say they will also focus on building out the dealership's offerings to small and medium businesses including commercial-focused sales and service staff and mobile service.

“Our family has been in the car business since 1992,” said Adam, “and we’re excited to bring our local ownership to the Grand Forks community.”

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sioux_FF said:

Nelson Ford of Fergus Falls announced they are purchasing the remainder of the Lithia franchises in Grand Forks....  Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram

https://www.fergusfallsjournal.com/news/nelson-auto-expands-to-grand-forks/article_94f14ac6-32e1-11ee-bafe-03f6060f06f1.html

Heard nothing but bad things about Lithia.

Hope this improves things.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

It's things like this is why you just have to laugh when anything in Grand Forks closes....and a bunch of people get their panties in a bunch....they just don't understand....only seeing short term.....be smarter than them.

Screenshot_20230805_010354_Facebook.jpg

Think of the local economy as a season of wins and losses. Celebrate the wins, sure, but when you look at the overall record, you can hardly fault people for lamenting the losses. Especially when they are piling up. 

This is one (planned) redevelopment amid a wave of crushing and seemingly endless closures.  Kudos to the brave developers, and props to our neighbors who never lose hope. 

Be smarter than people who cherry pick and then try to put others down solely because they're calling it like it is. 

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/local/17th-annual-lake-bemidji-dragon-boat-festival-marches-on-with-parade-of-teams

was in bemidji on thursday......holy crap does this bring people to bemidji and their downtown/waterfront area....

instead of the greenway commy putting up cameras in the greenway could she maybe just maybe come up with something original that highlights our body of water downtown