SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

How about Hak should go because of "lack of success", and yes, no Natty's in 12 or 13 years for UND hockey is lack of success, and because he is such a d#&k. Wouldn't it be nice to have a head coach that you could actually call on a radio show and ask him a question without being afraid of getting your head bitten off? Just an honest question, not trying to start anything.

Nope, not at all..

Based on what Blais has done at Omaha shouldn't he be on the hot seat down there?

I was referring to Blais being an easy guy to ask questions of and get along with. As for Blais being on the hot seat in Omaha, I believe he will retire from coaching after his current contract is up, so I think that question is moot.

we have the best everything

they get caterd breakfast even when the team is at home

caterd lunch

our team is babied

and they are upgrading our locker rooms already lol

So, on gfhockey's left hand, we have "$100 million recruiting gem" and "does Gwoz have the budget UND does?" and on gfhockey's right hand, we have "our team is babied" and "they are upgrading our locker rooms already."

Which side of your two arguments are you on?

Sorry, don't know him personally. He just comes off as a less than pleasant person to deal with. You can even tell on the radio after a loss that Hennessy is not quite sure if he will be on, and if he is he kind of tiptoes through the questioning.

I know Joel Heitkamp (a UND alum and fan) has not had very nice things to say about him and his access to the media. Christopher Gabriel has had Mussman on every week the past couple of years during the season on the Fargo UND affiliate. He had Hak on a couple of weeks last year and then that kind of stopped. Officially it was he had a hard time working it into his schedule. Heard it may have been he wasn't thrilled with some of the questioning.

Of bigger concern to a UND hockey teams' head coach:

The ph balance of the soil in the backyard of an Australian diggerie-doo plant janitor.....or

Joel Heitkamps' feelings?

.....Grass down under and its not even close.

New record for worst argument point on Sioux Sports ....

Ever.

In my conversations with Dave Hakstol and how he conducts himself with kids and fans.

Class act all the way, any other accusation is absurd.

Of bigger concern to a UND hockey teams' head coach:

The ph balance of the soil in the backyard of an Australian diggerie-doo plant janitor.....or

Joel Heitkamps' feelings?

.....Grass down under and its not even close.

New record for worst argument point on Sioux Sports ....

Ever.

In my conversations with Dave Hakstol and how he conducts himself with kids and fans.

Class act all the way, any other accusation is absurd.

Any accusation other than your point of view is absurd? There are many people that think Hak is a good coach but would consider him not in nearly as high regard as you do. And I'm not just talking about him flicking off the refs while being televised. Hak supporters have lots of ammunition for a case being made for him being a good coach, not so much for him being a "class act".

Sorry, don't know him personally. He just comes off as a less than pleasant person to deal with. You can even tell on the radio after a loss that Hennessy is not quite sure if he will be on, and if he is he kind of tiptoes through the questioning.

I know Joel Heitkamp (a UND alum and fan) has not had very nice things to say about him and his access to the media. Christopher Gabriel has had Mussman on every week the past couple of years during the season on the Fargo UND affiliate. He had Hak on a couple of weeks last year and then that kind of stopped. Officially it was he had a hard time working it into his schedule. Heard it may have been he wasn't thrilled with some of the questioning.

I've had several interactions with Hakstol over the years at the Final Five. Every single time, either before or after a game, he would stop to say a few words to kids who are in the hotel lobby. MafiaMan Jr was busy scrounging up autographs at the Crowne Plaza a few years ago and Hak asked him if "the boys" were all taking care of his signature requests. He also asked if my son played hockey (the answer was "yes) and said he'd be keeping an eye on him and maybe see him in a Sioux uniform in a few years (my son was 9 at the time). Whether being on the way to the rink for the pre-game morning skate or coming back from a title-game thriller, the head coach of the Sioux was always pleasant to deal with.

But, that's just my two cents. I'm sure it's much more fun for radio hacks to grumble about Hakstol's demeanor on the air and that they've heard rumors that Dave spends his free time volunteering to euthanize puppies and kittens at The Humane Society.

• Upvote 2

I've had several interactions with Hakstol over the years at the Final Five. Every single time, either before or after a game, he would stop to say a few words to kids who are in the hotel lobby. MafiaMan Jr was busy scrounging up autographs at the Crowne Plaza a few years ago and Hak asked him if "the boys" were all taking care of his signature requests. He also asked if my son played hockey (the answer was "yes) and said he'd be keeping an eye on him and maybe see him in a Sioux uniform in a few years (my son was 9 at the time). Whether being on the way to the rink for the pre-game morning skate or coming back from a title-game thriller, the head coach of the Sioux was always pleasant to deal with.

But, that's just my two cents. I'm sure it's much more fun for radio hacks to grumble about Hakstol's demeanor on the air and that they've heard rumors that Dave spends his free time volunteering to euthanize puppies and kittens at The Humane Society.

Hey now! Don't provide real stories that actually happened instead of just conjecture that he doesn't seem like a nice guy. Cool story about his interaction with your son though.

My parents have ran into Hakstol in St. Cloud and said he couldn't have been nicer. I think he's really intense and that puts some people off for some reason, not sure why. I remember seeing him at King's Walk in the pro shop about to go play golf and he looked as if he was about to play in the Masters.

In my opinion(I'm sure a lot of bashers will disagree), he doesn't do anything less than 100%. He really wants to win and I think that has shown when he's won the McNaughton Cup, Broadmoor Cup, and NCAA regionals. Just one final step, and I hope he gets there really soon(like within the next 2-3 years).

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it's much more fun for radio hacks to grumble about Hakstol's demeanor on the air and that they've heard rumors that Dave spends his free time volunteering to euthanize puppies and kittens at The Humane Society.

You forgot about Hak sneaking into the Northlands Rescue Mission often at night and stealing bags full of food, toiletries and blankets.

• Upvote 1

May seem weird after yesterday, but I agree with Mafia on this one. (Huh?) As much as I'd like to see Hak go, he's a very nice guy. Not sure how people would think he's a jerk or any other negative thing. A coach that needs to go? Yep..in my opinion it's time for a change. A bad guy? No way.

I've had a beer with him on multiple occasions at the Final 5. He and Eades were always at McGoverns after the Chips we won and he was ALWAYS winning to chat over a beer with the fans. He's also said hello to my boys and took a pic with them after a game in St. Cloud 2 years ago. And that was after a loss. Hak seems to me a very, very nice guy who is pleasant to interact with. He's also been very forthright and pleasant during the pre-season media days we go to at the REA when we pick up our season tickets.

So no, Hak is not a "jerk", "dick", or anything like that. At least not in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

4. With our chances of an at large Pairwise bid almost completely gone, and to be forced to have to win our conference tourney just to make it in, yes, fans are going to over react a bit to any losses in the next few games. So prepare yourself and if you don't like it, don't log on that day. But to act so much "holier than thou" like you do after every post from someone who doesn't worship Hak and DARES suggest a coaching change is just you being an ass.

While UND certainly needs to win to move on to the NCAA tournament, I think this overstates it a little. I think an at-large bid is well within reach if the boys win more than they lose.

• Upvote 4

While UND certainly needs to win to move on to the NCAA tournament, I think this overstates it a little. I think an at-large bid is well within reach if the boys win more than they lose.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... slow down with this calm demeanor, Jim. That's not allowed on this thread :)

• Upvote 1

So you are a regular poster on a UND fan site, you listen to radio broadcasts of UND hockey and coach interviews... I'm just curious - what is your motivation and infactuation wih UND sports - personally I could care less about going to Bison-swille and would rather listen to an emergency warning system test than any sports program about FU (unless they are playing UND in something which recently means they are losing).

Most bison football fans (outside of a majority of the internet crazies) are also UND hockey fans. I guess I don't have a problem with him posting in a hockey thread.....

Math in a fire the coach discussion; you're kidding, right? :whistling:

2. A fan like me (Have had season tix since 05, but have been going to games my entire life) gets PISSED when we don't WIN. I EXPECT nothing but the BEST from this program. And you know what? That doesn't make me any less of a fan than it does you who SEEMS like your just happy to have a team that can "compete" every year. You've made statements in the past like, "would you rather be a fan of Duluth, or SCSU, or etc, etc"? Call me crazy, but YES I'd switch spots with Duluth right now if it meant I could trade their last 10 years for ours. You see...I am a fan(atic) because I like to see my team win TITLES. So If I'm choosing between wanting my team to win ONE TITLE in the last decade and 9 other years of so-so hockey vs a team who "competes" every year but comes up short time and time and time again, I'm going to want my team to win the TITLE. You know..the "ultimate prize"? Now being as smart alecky as you tend to be on here Mafia Man, I'm sure your response to that would be, "cheer for UMD than". And if that's the case (and it probably is) you're missing the entire point and it's not hard to see why.

So...just so we're on the same page with your thought process in this particular segment of your argument...you're a fan who gets "PISSED when we don't win" and will "EXPECT nothing but the best from this program" and would gladly sit thru seven seasons of THIS...

7-28-4

13-24-3

15-17-6

11-25-4

13-21-5

13-17-6

14-19-5

...in exchange for one national championship? Call me a skeptic, but I think you'd be pulling your hair out of your head until you're bald or kicking your dog when you arrive home after a loss 17-28 times a season.

Sure, it's easy in hind-sight to say "yea, I'd sit thru four consecutive years of 15, 11, 13, and 13 win seasons knowing that three years after that miserable stretch, I'll be watching a banner raising in REA." Now let's assume that you have no clue that a national title is coming up in year seven (which is a much more realistic scenario anyways unless I'm missing something)...my money says that in about year two of that hot mess of losses, you'd be having a colossal meltdown calling for the head coach to be canned immediately.

One last comment before moving on...I have never said a word about you or any other "fan" being "less" of a fan than me. Believe it or not, we're even fans of the same team.

• Upvote 2

And in your world, those two things are mutually exclusive. ???

As far as being able to be a crictic and a fan usually there is balance. So I guess the more "Fire" threads the bigger the supporter - every major coach at UND has a "fire" thread in their name in the past year. Kinda loses its impact after awhile.