SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

So...just so we're on the same page with your thought process in this particular segment of your argument...you're a fan who gets "PISSED when we don't win" and will "EXPECT nothing but the best from this program" and would gladly sit thru seven seasons of THIS...

7-28-4

13-24-3

15-17-6

11-25-4

13-21-5

13-17-6

14-19-5

...in exchange for one national championship? Call me a skeptic, but I think you'd be pulling your hair out of your head until you're bald or kicking your dog when you arrive home after a loss 17-28 times a season.

Sure, it's easy in hind-sight to say "yea, I'd sit thru four consecutive years of 15, 11, 13, and 13 win seasons knowing that three years after that miserable stretch, I'll be watching a banner raising in REA." Now let's assume that you have no clue that a national title is coming up in year seven (which is a much more realistic scenario anyways unless I'm missing something)...my money says that in about year two of that hot mess of losses, you'd be having a colossal meltdown calling for the head coach to be canned immediately.

One last comment before moving on...I have never said a word about you or any other "fan" being "less" of a fan than me. Believe it or not, we're even fans of the same team.

Wouldn't think the fire Hak crowd could argue with this, but I'd guess they will. Would like to ask them this:

1. How many years of good to very good seasons without a natty is a reasonable number before firing.

2. How many terrible seasons with no natty does a coach get without fans demanding he be fired?

3. After getting a natty, how many terrible seasons does a coach get before he is fired?

]yea, I'd sit thru four consecutive years of 15, 11, 13, and 13 win seasons knowing that three years after that miserable stretch, I'll be watching a banner raising in REA."

I wouldn't like the above, even knowing the natty was coming in year 7, and I'd probably be bandwagon enough to quit watching and ignore the team until year 7. Or, if possible, dvr all games, delete the losses, and watch the wins in those first four years.

We need to win 6 of 8 in order to feel good about the NCAAs at the end of the regular season.

I think in all practicality, we have to expect (maybe even hope for) splits on the road vs UMD and vs SCSU- these are two of the better teams in the league.

That means we absolutely must sweep WMU and Miami at home.

The conference playoffs will be a coin flip for the most part.

We need to win 6 of 8 in order to feel good about the NCAAs at the end of the regular season.

I think in all practicality, we have to expect (maybe even hope for) splits on the road vs UMD and vs SCSU- these are two of the better teams in the league.

That means we absolutely must sweep WMU and Miami at home.

The conference playoffs will be a coin flip for the most part.

Spot on here.

I want #8 as bad as anyone. However you people that say you would take losing seasons for a natty every few years are nuts. When I visit with fans from opposing teams they never say," Wow you guys have won 7 national championships!". No,they say "You guys are always good,always in the tournament,at the Final Five, in the Frozen Four,etc." So Duluth won it all 3 years ago and Yale won it last year. How many teams "fear" playing those teams.

Rich hockey history...that could define Minnesota, UMD, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston University, Boston College, Maine, Lake Superior State, New Hampshire, and any one of about 20 other NCAA hockey programs. Hell, Michigan Tech has rich history too. It's been 30-35 years since they've had a quality program year in and year out, but they do have a rich history.

The finest facility...DU's $75 million Magness Arena, Penn State's $88 million Pegula Ice Arena, and BU's $225 million dollar complex (which includes Agganis Arena) are certainly nothing to sneeze at. Neither are Mariucci Arena, Yost Ice Arena, or good old Alfond Arena up in Maine. If best arena or best stadium should guarantee success, can you tell me why the Red Sox are winning World Series' in a dump like Fenway? And don't answer "player salaries" because the Miami Marlins spent a boatload of cash on players in year one of their brand-new stadium and that was a disaster. If anything, the Red Sox cut some big salaries and found cheaper replacements this past season.

The most coveted position in college hockey...yet another opinion-oriented philosophy. If Dave Hakstol were fired tomorrow and an offer of a one billion dollar a year salary, an active oil well in Watford City, and being made lifetime Emperor of North Dakota was made to Jerry York, his answer would be "no." Sorry, folks, Grand Forks, ND isn't on the short-list of places to move to. And, as stated above in the facility argument...there are many schools that could claim to be "most-coveted" coaching job. North Dakota's one of them.

The "I've spent thousands on this team" argument...love, Love, LOVE this argument. The "because I have invested my time and money watching this team, there should be a return on my personal investment in the form of a national championship" philosophy. When I drop $10 on a movie ticket, I don't walk into the theater thinking "I'd better be watching an Oscar-worthy performance or I'm asking the manager for my money back." If I'm disappointed in the whole movie or just the ending, well, that's how it works. Now, if you want to head down to the locker room area and hang around after the game and wait for the chance to chew out Hakstol, his staff, and the 18-22 year old athletes for not meeting your expectations on the ice, that's your business. I'll just turn off the TV, grumble about the game, then turn it back on the next night and cheer again. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

Before you retaliate with the "MafiaMan's against national championships" argument, I will ask you to reconsider. Just because I support Dave Hakstol doesn't mean I'm not getting antsy myself. And if Minnesota happens to pull a title out of their hat this season, my guess is that the heat on Hakstol will only be turned up a notch.

If you could see me now while reading this, you would see me swaying back and forth burning my zippo in the dark! LOL

Good stuff Mafia...

Rich hockey history...that could define Minnesota, UMD, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston University, Boston College, Maine, Lake Superior State, New Hampshire, and any one of about 20 other NCAA hockey programs. Hell, Michigan Tech has rich history too. It's been 30-35 years since they've had a quality program year in and year out, but they do have a rich history.

The finest facility...DU's $75 million Magness Arena, Penn State's $88 million Pegula Ice Arena, and BU's $225 million dollar complex (which includes Agganis Arena) are certainly nothing to sneeze at. Neither are Mariucci Arena, Yost Ice Arena, or good old Alfond Arena up in Maine. If best arena or best stadium should guarantee success, can you tell me why the Red Sox are winning World Series' in a dump like Fenway? And don't answer "player salaries" because the Miami Marlins spent a boatload of cash on players in year one of their brand-new stadium and that was a disaster. If anything, the Red Sox cut some big salaries and found cheaper replacements this past season.

The most coveted position in college hockey...yet another opinion-oriented philosophy. If Dave Hakstol were fired tomorrow and an offer of a one billion dollar a year salary, an active oil well in Watford City, and being made lifetime Emperor of North Dakota was made to Jerry York, his answer would be "no." Sorry, folks, Grand Forks, ND isn't on the short-list of places to move to. And, as stated above in the facility argument...there are many schools that could claim to be "most-coveted" coaching job. North Dakota's one of them.

The "I've spent thousands on this team" argument...love, Love, LOVE this argument. The "because I have invested my time and money watching this team, there should be a return on my personal investment in the form of a national championship" philosophy. When I drop $10 on a movie ticket, I don't walk into the theater thinking "I'd better be watching an Oscar-worthy performance or I'm asking the manager for my money back." If I'm disappointed in the whole movie or just the ending, well, that's how it works. Now, if you want to head down to the locker room area and hang around after the game and wait for the chance to chew out Hakstol, his staff, and the 18-22 year old athletes for not meeting your expectations on the ice, that's your business. I'll just turn off the TV, grumble about the game, then turn it back on the next night and cheer again. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

Before you retaliate with the "MafiaMan's against national championships" argument, I will ask you to reconsider. Just because I support Dave Hakstol doesn't mean I'm not getting antsy myself. And if Minnesota happens to pull a title out of their hat this season, my guess is that the heat on Hakstol will only be turned up a notch.

Be careful - no room for optimists here - here comes the Mrs. Hak, "I only want the best", "Is this how far we've dropped" blather.
  • Upvote 1

we have the best everything

they get caterd breakfast even when the team is at home

caterd lunch

our team is babied

and they are upgrading our locker rooms already lol

Did Gwoz have a 100+ millon dollar recruiting gem?

Did Gwoz have the budget UND does?

You might have missed this earlier, gfhockey...I just wanted to find out what side of each of your arguments previously posted you were on today?

Be careful - no room for optimists here - here comes the Mrs. Hak, "I only want the best", "Is this how far we've dropped" blather.

I'll take whatever someone wants to dish out today. If the Sioux lose tonight, I'll still be up early tomorrow to watch USA vs Russia. Meanwhile, over at beebs' house, he'll have to gently break the news to the kids that the family cat "ran away" sometime shortly after the Sioux game ended.

Oh my God, that was funny... I just spit pop all over my computer screen at work reading that one.

I'll take whatever someone wants to dish out today. If the Sioux lose tonight, I'll still be up early tomorrow to watch USA vs Russia. Meanwhile, over at beebs' house, he'll have to gently break the news to the kids that the family cat "ran away" sometime shortly after the Sioux game ended.

"ran away"....too funny.

But if our beebs has half the issues of the real Biebs..............