SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

The problem is, when things started going badly Sat. night, one of a couple of things should have been done. 1.) For the first time in years, someone should have gotten into a fight to fire up the team and turn the momentum back our way.

#11 was being a pain in the a** for example. Or Archibald for that matter, should you really get away "clean" w/ a hat

trick? In the early 90s we may have lost, but we at least roughed some people up before they left the building! And

yes, I know that this is a team where, unlike previous years, we don't really have any fighters, but if that's the case, the coach should come up w/ a different plan. . .like pull Saunders for the freshman after the 5th goal; could he

really been worse on breakaways than Saunders?. (Although stopping the cherry picking, B.C. breakaways might have been

another solution!) Or hell, OUR coach could have started throwing things and gotten kicked out of the game. Maybe that would have gotten through to these guys. Some one needed to wake them up during this game and no one stepped up, player or coach.

At the very least, there should have been some serious skating going on afterwards. It was a pathetic effort, all

around. :sad:

Ok. That's my one "once every three years" rant. :)

I can't disagree, I don't typically like the staged hockey fights like in the pros, but every once in a while get something going. I will never forget watching Kyle Radke destroy Vossberg from Denver or Kaip line up against Mankato and throw punches or UND line up against Mankato and brawl just about anytime when I was in college. Not usually staged fights, but fierce play, heated tempers, and guys that weren't afraid to send a message and mix it up.

I know the punishment has probably gotten a little tougher but for a guy who is not in the lineup everynight anyway, get out there and mix it up, then graciously take your game suspension. I love Sioux hockey but it does seem like they have lost some of the toughness and grit that we have seen in the past. We need someone to step into the shoes of a Matt Greene or a Andrew MacWilliam, or a Kyle Radke and Rylan Kaip for that matter. Bring some of the toughness back.

"Poindexter, you want to F or what?" name the film.

I don't think I've ever been called anything like that in my life...funny. I'll take it though :) As a note, I wasn't referring to you. I think your logic on the Don Lucia turn-around is sound and applicable- you have to make changes, and you have to play to the strengths of your team. Also, as stated, having won 2 natty's cuts a guy a lot of slack!

WIthout

Revenge of the Nerds - glad you took it with a grain of salt - my attempt to interject a little humor in a thread that has gotten pretty intense. I respect your hockey knowledge and usually read your posts with great interest. My concern is that other than the carping on this thread about Hak's performance there is not much excitement about Sioux Hockey this year - no "this could be the year" feeling, no "wow, these freshmen are great" discussion, no "anyone for Hoby Baker" excitement. Team performance has been uneven, no one has stood out this season, and our best player (Grimaldi) hasn't developed into the scoring machine we thought he might (see Johnny Hockey). It seems easy to criticize our style of play. In my opinion, this the most down collective mood since the last days of Gino. We really need something to rally around and I hope this weekend is the start of it.

You don't think of yourself as a "Kool-Aid drinker"? You need to take a harder look in the mirror than.

You chastise ANYONE who "dares" say Hakstol isn't as good of a coach as so many on this forum make him out to be. You come up with excuse after excuse after excuse for the reasons we are on year 14 without a National title and a decade of those years under the God-Hakstol's watch.

I believe you just said something after the Denver game along the lines of, "Geez we lose ONE game in our last 12 and everyone flips out". Let me explain the rationale of people (or at least me..lol) "flipping out" over lthat or last Sat's game.

1. Sure it was our first/second loss in quite some time (Nov 29th to be exact if we aren't counting the Canada trip), but it's ridiculous that we have to go on such big runs every damn year JUST to get into the tournament. If we didn't start out like crap year after year after year we wouldn't need these "miraculous runs" just to make the tournmanet and fans wouldn't get so upset when we lose for only the 2nd time in 12-14 games. But when we DO NEED every single game in January and February because Hak can't get the boys to come out of the gates READY each year, yeah....fans are going to treat these games as more important than the others, because...they indeed ARE more important now that we are on life support.

2. A fan like me (Have had season tix since 05, but have been going to games my entire life) gets PISSED when we don't WIN. I EXPECT nothing but the BEST from this program. And you know what? That doesn't make me any less of a fan than it does you who SEEMS like your just happy to have a team that can "compete" every year. You've made statements in the past like, "would you rather be a fan of Duluth, or SCSU, or etc, etc"? Call me crazy, but YES I'd switch spots with Duluth right now if it meant I could trade their last 10 years for ours. You see...I am a fan(atic) because I like to see my team win TITLES. So If I'm choosing between wanting my team to win ONE TITLE in the last decade and 9 other years of so-so hockey vs a team who "competes" every year but comes up short time and time and time again, I'm going to want my team to win the TITLE. You know..the "ultimate prize"? Now being as smart alecky as you tend to be on here Mafia Man, I'm sure your response to that would be, "cheer for UMD than". And if that's the case (and it probably is) you're missing the entire point and it's not hard to see why.

3. I'm not trying to be over the top obnoxious like some can be on here when we lose, or about Hak. However, I'd say a guy like gfhockey DOES make some good points sandwiched in between some of his dramatic exaggerations. Why ISN'T Hakstol held accountable for our program's success or lack thereof? He makes MORE money than Craig Bohl did for god sakes and we all know how bad NDSU's "flag ship program" is out performing ours. So with the Messiah coaching the hockey team for the last decade and having nothing but a McNaughton or two and some Broadmoors to show for it, why WOULDN'T people start wanting the program to explore a change on the bench? The last few years I have wanted it, but haven't been too crazy advocating it because there hasn't been much out there that I thought could do better than Hak is. However, that's not really the case any more. I think GWOZ could do just as good if not better than Hak is right now, I think Eades could as well. So...I don't see why Hak is as protected when it comes to "absurd" fans wanting more out of his teams and from himself as well.

4. With our chances of an at large Pairwise bid almost completely gone, and to be forced to have to win our conference tourney just to make it in, yes, fans are going to over react a bit to any losses in the next few games. So prepare yourself and if you don't like it, don't log on that day. But to act so much "holier than thou" like you do after every post from someone who doesn't worship Hak and DARES suggest a coaching change is just you being an ass.

5. For some fans, the thought is UND Hockey should be the GOLD STANDARD of programs. We have a rich history, the finest facility, arguably the best pipe line of talent over the last 15 years, and we SHOULD HAVE the best coach as it SHOULD be the most coveted coaching position in college hockey. So with all of that being said, why would we NOT "DEMAND" success from our team and coaching staff? I'm sorry, but if EXPECTING a National Title(especially with the Parise, Bochenski, Greene/ Duncan, Oshie, Toews/ Frattin, Malone, Trupp teams) once in 14 years is too much to ask, than I guess I'm not the best "fan". Which is weird because I've spent THOUSANDS on this team, a lot of time, have choked up over this team (both in the good (97) and bad (2009/2010)), and want NOTHING MORE than to see it at the top once again.

Geez, I'd love to respond to this right now, but I'm busy walking Dave's dog and after that, I have to pick up his suit for Friday's game at the dry cleaners. I'll try to pick this apart bit by bit later, though, I promise.

• Upvote 2

Well atated beebsb010 - I couldn't agree more!

Agreed!! Excellent post beebsb010!!! And typical response by Mafia Man. But don't fret, many of us agree with you and appreciate the thought out post! At least you have some solid reasons to your thinking rather than just a spouted off remark with no backing behind it.

• Upvote 4

Geez, I'd love to respond to this right now, but I'm busy walking Dave's dog and after that, I have to pick up his suit for Friday's game at the dry cleaners. I'll try to pick this apart bit by bit later, though, I promise.

And don't forget to scoop the poop out of the snow in Dave's backyard after hitting the cleaners you lackey!

Fire Mafia Man!!!

• Upvote 1

You don't think of yourself as a "Kool-Aid drinker"? You need to take a harder look in the mirror than.

You chastise ANYONE who "dares" say Hakstol isn't as good of a coach as so many on this forum make him out to be. You come up with excuse after excuse after excuse for the reasons we are on year 14 without a National title and a decade of those years under the God-Hakstol's watch.

I believe you just said something after the Denver game along the lines of, "Geez we lose ONE game in our last 12 and everyone flips out". Let me explain the rationale of people (or at least me..lol) "flipping out" over lthat or last Sat's game.

1. Sure it was our first/second loss in quite some time (Nov 29th to be exact if we aren't counting the Canada trip), but it's ridiculous that we have to go on such big runs every damn year JUST to get into the tournament. If we didn't start out like crap year after year after year we wouldn't need these "miraculous runs" just to make the tournmanet and fans wouldn't get so upset when we lose for only the 2nd time in 12-14 games. But when we DO NEED every single game in January and February because Hak can't get the boys to come out of the gates READY each year, yeah....fans are going to treat these games as more important than the others, because...they indeed ARE more important now that we are on life support.

2. A fan like me (Have had season tix since 05, but have been going to games my entire life) gets PISSED when we don't WIN. I EXPECT nothing but the BEST from this program. And you know what? That doesn't make me any less of a fan than it does you who SEEMS like your just happy to have a team that can "compete" every year. You've made statements in the past like, "would you rather be a fan of Duluth, or SCSU, or etc, etc"? Call me crazy, but YES I'd switch spots with Duluth right now if it meant I could trade their last 10 years for ours. You see...I am a fan(atic) because I like to see my team win TITLES. So If I'm choosing between wanting my team to win ONE TITLE in the last decade and 9 other years of so-so hockey vs a team who "competes" every year but comes up short time and time and time again, I'm going to want my team to win the TITLE. You know..the "ultimate prize"? Now being as smart alecky as you tend to be on here Mafia Man, I'm sure your response to that would be, "cheer for UMD than". And if that's the case (and it probably is) you're missing the entire point and it's not hard to see why.

3. I'm not trying to be over the top obnoxious like some can be on here when we lose, or about Hak. However, I'd say a guy like gfhockey DOES make some good points sandwiched in between some of his dramatic exaggerations. Why ISN'T Hakstol held accountable for our program's success or lack thereof? He makes MORE money than Craig Bohl did for god sakes and we all know how bad NDSU's "flag ship program" is out performing ours. So with the Messiah coaching the hockey team for the last decade and having nothing but a McNaughton or two and some Broadmoors to show for it, why WOULDN'T people start wanting the program to explore a change on the bench? The last few years I have wanted it, but haven't been too crazy advocating it because there hasn't been much out there that I thought could do better than Hak is. However, that's not really the case any more. I think GWOZ could do just as good if not better than Hak is right now, I think Eades could as well. So...I don't see why Hak is as protected when it comes to "absurd" fans wanting more out of his teams and from himself as well.

4. With our chances of an at large Pairwise bid almost completely gone, and to be forced to have to win our conference tourney just to make it in, yes, fans are going to over react a bit to any losses in the next few games. So prepare yourself and if you don't like it, don't log on that day. But to act so much "holier than thou" like you do after every post from someone who doesn't worship Hak and DARES suggest a coaching change is just you being an ass.

5. For some fans, the thought is UND Hockey should be the GOLD STANDARD of programs. We have a rich history, the finest facility, arguably the best pipe line of talent over the last 15 years, and we SHOULD HAVE the best coach as it SHOULD be the most coveted coaching position in college hockey. So with all of that being said, why would we NOT "DEMAND" success from our team and coaching staff? I'm sorry, but if EXPECTING a National Title(especially with the Parise, Bochenski, Greene/ Duncan, Oshie, Toews/ Frattin, Malone, Trupp teams) once in 14 years is too much to ask, than I guess I'm not the best "fan". Which is weird because I've spent THOUSANDS on this team, a lot of time, have choked up over this team (both in the good (97) and bad (2009/2010)), and want NOTHING MORE than to see it at the top once again.

amen. I never had the time to write something like this (nor the patience) but I'm glad you did. It's not just mafia however. Either was I think you have to give Hak a few more years.

• Upvote 3

amen. I never had the time to write something like this (not the patience) but I'm glad you did. It's not just mafia however.

Thanks man. Got a couple of PMs saying the same. Appreciate it guys.

And I know it's not JUST him, but he responds the most "jerkey" (did I just make a new word, I swear I'm a UND grad..lol) to me and others it seems when anyone dares question the direction of our program.

• Upvote 1

I think more fans laugh at the lack of our success then this message board

we have the best everything

they get caterd breakfast even when the team is at home

caterd lunch

our team is babied

and they are upgrading our locker rooms already lol

most teams would give there left and right nut for what we have

So much written that I don't even know where to begin. I'll start with your first point, even though it wasn't numbered or listed as a point.

I more than disagreed with Hakstol's approach in the 2011 game against Michigan - and pointed that out on here. It was frustrating to sit and watch UND play the dump and chase on the power play unsuccessfully over and over and over. And then watch Scott Sandelin and UMD carry the puck into the zone two nights later - obviously UMD saw how Michigan stifled UND two days earlier and wasn't going to suffer the same fate.

I also pointed out UND being seemingly unprepared for TV time-outs and the slow-ness of the game. That wasn't Hakstol's first time in the Frozen Four but it sure seemed like the team was caught off-guard by the slow play.

Thirdly, I have pointed out here many times that UND policy now seems to be to showcase what Sioux players do AFTER leaving Grand Forks, not what they do WHILE in Grand Forks. Don't believe me? Go check out the UND online media guide and take a look at the first few pages. UND needs to get back to recruiting kids dedicated to winning a national championship while in school...not dedicated to increasing their NHL status when they leave after year 2 or 3.

If those aren't criticisms of Hakstol and the coaching staff directly, well, I don't know what to tell you...

• Upvote 4

maybe our fan base likes one or two dones in the tourney

its sad that we have became like scsu

pretty soon we will hang participation banners also I suppse

you see how well the football program fell befor a change was made?

extend hakstol!

fire Faison?

all hail Brewster

Brewster for president!

he should coach the hockey team.

Either way I think you have to give Hak a few more years.

Agreed. I would say 2-3 more years (without a title, of course) and then maybe time to give someone else a chance at the helm.

I think more fans laugh at the lack of our success then this message board

If there are opposing fans that laugh at our "lack of success", then they aren't very knowledgeable hockey fans. :)

maybe our fan base likes one or two dones in the tourney - NOPE

its sad that we have became like scsu - NOT EVEN CLOSE

pretty soon we will hang participation banners also I suppse - WILL NEVER HAPPEN

you see how well the football program fell befor a change was made? - HOCKEY WON'T FALL THAT FAR

extend hakstol! - ONLY IF HE WINS A TITLE BEFORE HIS CURRENT CONTRACT ENDS

fire Faison? - IF IT HELPS YOU SLEEP BETTER

all hail Brewster - NEGATIVE

Brewster for president! - NOPE

he should coach the hockey team. - UMM, NO

There ya go. That was easy.

maybe our fan base likes one or two dones in the tourney - NOPE---well majority want to sav hakstol!

its sad that we have became like scsu - NOT EVEN CLOSE---yes it is...all we do is go one or two done in the ncaa

pretty soon we will hang participation banners also I suppse - WILL NEVER HAPPEN----never know. in Faison your trust

you see how well the football program fell befor a change was made? - HOCKEY WON'T FALL THAT FAR---why did football?

extend hakstol! - ONLY IF HE WINS A TITLE BEFORE HIS CURRENT CONTRACT ENDS----he sure wins us nattys

fire Faison? - IF IT HELPS YOU SLEEP BETTER---just a simple question- yes or no answer

all hail Brewster - NEGATIVE---he has the girls in 1st place

Brewster for president! - NOPE---driver seat to host big sky tourney

he should coach the hockey team. - UMM, NO---he was picked third last and has his team 1st place

Miraculous runs just to get into the tournament?

2008 #1 seed Midwest Region

2009 #2 seed Northeast Region

2010 #2 seed Northeast Region

2011 #1 seed Midwest Region

2012 #1 seed West Region

2013 #2 seed West Region

That hardly looks like a team just barely sliding into the tournament, does it? Perhaps you'd prefer to be Minnesota and bust out of the gates...only to start sliding once January starts. How has St Cloud been their last 3-4 weeks?

The PRI fluctuates greatly week to week and goes nuts when the conference tournaments start. Yale was a Michigan or BU win away from watching last year's tournament. That's the way it is. You want to be Boston College or Minnesota this year and be guaranteed an at-large bid in mid-February regardless of what happens the rest of the way? Sure, that'd be nice. But I hope those two schools enjoy the bit round target on their chest - because they are already wearing one.

Now, there's no question this year has seen some disappointing games (Boston U, Vermont, St Lawrence) and I don't think it's a stretch to say that this isn't Hakstol's most talented team. However, as I've stated here several times recently, this team has the potential of being the new giant of Target Center every spring. If it can't win two home playoff games followed by two more games amidst the sea of green in Minneapolis, it probably shouldn't be in the NCAA's anyways. And thus would year 1 of "Hakstol-watch" begin along with some changes made during the off-season to improve the team heading into next season.

Hak and DARES suggest a coaching change is just you being an ass.

I'm hate to even get into a comparison between NCAA DIvision I men's ice hockey and FCS football. On one hand, some Sioux fans chuckle at Criaig Bohl leaving Fargo and how that shows that NDSU and FCS football are small-time. Then the same Sioux fans turn around and want to claim that Grand Forks is a heavenly city that pretty much any coach other than Scotty Bowman or Joel Quenneville would love to spend the rest of his career in.

And you're really going to try to promote the Gwoz as a guy who could win at North Dakota...when he was basically run out of Denver for his lack of playoff success there since 2006? The Eades issue has been beaten to death on this board and shouldn't even be discussed any longer. Eades isn't coming back - except for the '82 team reunions every 5-10 years.

As far as gfhockey making "some good points"...well...take a look at his latest ramblings in this thread..."fire faison"..."extend hakstol"..."all hail Brewster"...great stuff. Almost 4,000 posts worth of it too.