SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I'm hate to even get into a comparison between NCAA DIvision I men's ice hockey and FCS football. On one hand, some Sioux fans chuckle at Criaig Bohl leaving Fargo and how that shows that NDSU and FCS football are small-time. Then the same Sioux fans turn around and want to claim that Grand Forks is a heavenly city that pretty much any coach other than Scotty Bowman or Joel Quenneville would love to spend the rest of his career in.

And you're really going to try to promote the Gwoz as a guy who could win at North Dakota...when he was basically run out of Denver for his lack of playoff success there since 2006? The Eades issue has been beaten to death on this board and shouldn't even be discussed any longer. Eades isn't coming back - except for the '82 team reunions every 5-10 years.

As far as gfhockey making "some good points"...well...take a look at his latest ramblings in this thread..."fire faison"..."extend hakstol"..."all hail Brewster"...great stuff. Almost 4,000 posts worth of it too.

Did Gwoz have a 100+ millon dollar recruiting gem?

Did Gwoz have the budget UND does?

Did Gwoz make in game adjustments?

Did Gwoz have the fan support we have?

Did Gwoz ever win a natty?

Point. Set. Match.

I'm off to broomball - skipped #2 of beebsb010's points for a reason - it's my favorite and I'm saving that reply for last.

Seems to me that beebs got the best of you today Mafia...also appears a few guys have been agreeing with him. Uh oh!!! No wonder you seem so chapped. :lol:

So Hak should go because beebs, gfhockey and siouxvikes think.......Gwoz can do a better job? Wow!!

And Mafia got schooled...that's pretty chesty or as the beeb's says "jerky".

Simply put there are 2 sides of the isle here...1) those who think Hak has done a very good job compared to the overall landscape of college hockey so far during his tenure. 2) those who think Hak has or is starting to underachieve compared to the overall landscape and history that is Fighting Sioux hockey during his tenure to date.

I'm starting to slip further and further into #2. Do I think Hak needs the ax even if this squad misses the NCAA... no but the rope IMO should be getting shorter. Not to have one NC with the teams he has had is amazing. Are 4 straight F4s impressive...yes but UND isn't most college hockey programs. We tout the number 7 but #7 was a long time ago. We are due.

• Upvote 2

Its poor management as a whole-

lose the TV deal, generate an awful product on the ice...I haven't seen us play "Sioux" hockey all year.

By Sioux hockey, I mean 2 lines that are loaded with skill, speed, and talent, 1 line that will just work you on the end boards, and 1 line that will just beat the sh$t out of you...

By Sioux hockey, I mean a forecheck that blows the opposition out the zamboni door and dman that make going to the high probability scoring areas very painful.

By Sioux hockey, I mean a relentless tenacity from every player in every zone.

By Sioux hockey, I mean crisp passing on the tape, speed through the neutral zone, creativity, and picking corners.

By SIoux hockey, I mean finishing every check, even if you wear a letter in Sochi this week.

Let's get SIoux hockey back. Time for a change agent.

• Upvote 1

Geez, I'd love to respond to this right now, but I'm busy walking Dave's dog and after that, I have to pick up his suit for Friday's game at the dry cleaners. I'll try to pick this apart bit by bit later, though, I promise.

Man, I wanted that job. :)

I'm hate to even get into a comparison between NCAA DIvision I men's ice hockey and FCS football. On one hand, some Sioux fans chuckle at Criaig Bohl leaving Fargo and how that shows that NDSU and FCS football are small-time. Then the same Sioux fans turn around and want to claim that Grand Forks is a heavenly city that pretty much any coach other than Scotty Bowman or Joel Quenneville would love to spend the rest of his career in.

And you're really going to try to promote the Gwoz as a guy who could win at North Dakota...when he was basically run out of Denver for his lack of playoff success there since 2006? The Eades issue has been beaten to death on this board and shouldn't even be discussed any longer. Eades isn't coming back - except for the '82 team reunions every 5-10 years.

As far as gfhockey making "some good points"...well...take a look at his latest ramblings in this thread..."fire faison"..."extend hakstol"..."all hail Brewster"...great stuff. Almost 4,000 posts worth of it too.

I honestly don't think Gwoz was fired for lack of success on the ice; I think it was some political crap off the ice involving the administration. And I think they will live to regret it.

So Hak should go because beebs, gfhockey and siouxvikes think.......Gwoz can do a better job? Wow!!

And Mafia got schooled...that's chesty or "jerky".

Simply put there are 2 sides of the isle here...1) those who think Hak has done a very good job compared to the overall landscape of college hockey so far during his tenure. 2) those who think Hak has or is starting to underachieve compared to the overall landscape and history that is Fighting Sioux hockey during his tenure to date.

I'm starting to slip further and further into #2. Do I think Hak needs the ax even if this squad misses the NCAA... no but the rope IMO should be getting shorter. Not to have one NC with the teams he has had is amazing. Are 4 straight F4 impressive...yes but UND isn't most college hockey programs. We tout the number 7 but #7 was a long time ago. We are due.

Well put. Both camps have facts on their side. This gets to my earlier point of confidence. Does anyone feel confident about the performance of the team and where we are heading?

Does anyone think that we have a team in the pipeline that has a better shot at a title than the 2004 or 2006 or 2011 teams? I know I dont.

And Mafia got schooled...that's pretty chesty or as the beeb's says "jerky".

How about Hak should go because of "lack of success", and yes, no Natty's in 12 or 13 years for UND hockey is lack of success, and because he is such a d#&k. Wouldn't it be nice to have a head coach that you could actually call on a radio show and ask him a question without being afraid of getting your head bitten off? Just an honest question, not trying to start anything.

How about Hak should go because of "lack of success", and yes, no Natty's in 12 or 13 years for UND hockey is lack of success, and because he is such a d#&k. Wouldn't it be nice to have a head coach that you could actually call on a radio show and ask him a question without being afraid of getting your head bitten off? Just an honest question, not trying to start anything.

I just think hak gives you the political answer...he never gets mad really cuz no one asks him the tuff questions

if you ask hak an off the wall question hes like leslie frazier "we will go back and look at the tape and see what happened"

Well, we had one of those guys for 10 years, but we aren't allowed to mention his name anymore (*cough, cough* Dean Blais *cough, cough*) least we get accused of living in the past. :silly:

So you would fall on isle side #2. No problem.

Such a d**k! I, with my oldest daughter at my side, have had a few personal interactions with Hak. To his defense a d**k he is not.

I just think hak gives you the political answer...he never gets mad really cuz no one asks him the tuff questions

if you ask hak an off the wall question hes like leslie frazier "we will go back and look at the tape and see what happened"

I agree with you here. He is very calculated in his "on the record" answers.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't think Gwoz was fired for lack of success on the ice; I think it was some political crap off the ice involving the administration. And I think they will live to regret it.

Exactly he didn't get along with the AD and was demanding more money from what I heard.

So you would fall on isle side #2. No problem.

Such a d**k! I, with my oldest daughter at my side, have had a few personal interactions with Hak. To his defense a d**k he is not.

Sorry, don't know him personally. He just comes off as a less than pleasant person to deal with. You can even tell on the radio after a loss that Hennessy is not quite sure if he will be on, and if he is he kind of tiptoes through the questioning.

I know Joel Heitkamp (a UND alum and fan) has not had very nice things to say about him and his access to the media. Christopher Gabriel has had Mussman on every week the past couple of years during the season on the Fargo UND affiliate. He had Hak on a couple of weeks last year and then that kind of stopped. Officially it was he had a hard time working it into his schedule. Heard it may have been he wasn't thrilled with some of the questioning.

So you are a regular poster on a UND fan site, you listen to radio broadcasts of UND hockey and coach interviews... I'm just curious - what is your motivation and infactuation wih UND sports - personally I could care less about going to Bison-swille and would rather listen to an emergency warning system test than any sports program about FU (unless they are playing UND in something which recently means they are losing).
  • Upvote 1

Well, we had one of those guys for 10 years, but we aren't allowed to mention his name anymore (*cough, cough* Dean Blais *cough, cough*) least we get accused of living in the past. :silly:

Based on what Blais has done at Omaha shouldn't he be on the hot seat down there?
  • Upvote 1

The problem is, when things started going badly Sat. night, one of a couple of things should have been done. 1.) For the first time in years, someone should have gotten into a fight to fire up the team and turn the momentum back our way.

#11 was being a pain in the a** for example. Or Archibald for that matter, should you really get away "clean" w/ a hat

trick? In the early 90s we may have lost, but we at least roughed some people up before they left the building! And

yes, I know that this is a team where, unlike previous years, we don't really have any fighters, but if that's the case, the coach should come up w/ a different plan. . .like pull Saunders for the freshman after the 5th goal; could he

really been worse on breakaways than Saunders?. (Although stopping the cherry picking, B.C. breakaways might have been

another solution!) Or hell, OUR coach could have started throwing things and gotten kicked out of the game. Maybe that would have gotten through to these guys. Some one needed to wake them up during this game and no one stepped up, player or coach.

At the very least, there should have been some serious skating going on afterwards. It was a pathetic effort, all

around. :(

Ok. That's my one "once every three years" rant. :)

I hope we have more class than that. I would hope any coach with an IQ above 90 is smart enough not to act like a !@#!$! and throw things. I would agree with pulling the goalie. Team had no focus. Passing was careless and passes often didn't seem to have a purpose. We couldn't cycle the puck. Neither our defenseman nor our forwards moved well without the puck and Saunders struggled. Yeah if you are good enough to score a hat trick, you should get away clean. That philosophy that you take a run. At someone cuz they play well reminds me of the parents at the mite tournament who got in a fight in front of 8 yr olds. We all bitched when teams went after Parise. We are better than that.

• Upvote 1