SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

you could be right, I can never get the math right on some of these. Whenever the official release comes out we will know for sure.

Should be 3.5 since he is redshirting this year, he only really loses half a year (next fall). Had he played this year he would be down to 2.5.

Update to the Shanks situation: I found out through my contacts how it went down. UND was the only Dakota school that seriously recruited Shanks. The other three felt he was "out of reach" due to Pac 12 offers, etc. so they moved on. Coach Ahelegbe at UND had previously coached Carson in AAU ball so he continued to recruit him til the end (knowing he was not going to get him).

Fast forward to a month ago: Shanks decides he is going to transfer back home and obviously the Gophers are his first choice. Makes sense. However, he cannot get admitted. During this time he is still in contact with UND. Long story short - here he is. Since UND stayed with him in high school and forged a relationship, they became his "local" team (along with Gophers) in case he didn't like it in Utah.

Funny side note: First team to call him after he announces publically that he is transferring? NDSU.

Update to the Shanks situation: I found out through my contacts how it went down. UND was the only Dakota school that seriously recruited Shanks. The other three felt he was "out of reach" due to Pac 12 offers, etc. so they moved on. Coach Ahelegbe at UND had previously coached Carson in AAU ball so he continued to recruit him til the end (knowing he was not going to get him).

Fast forward to a month ago: Shanks decides he is going to transfer back home and obviously the Gophers are his first choice. Makes sense. However, he cannot get admitted. During this time he is still in contact with UND. Long story short - here he is. Since UND stayed with him in high school and forged a relationship, they became his "local" team (along with Gophers) in case he didn't like it in Utah.

Funny side note: First team to call him after he announces publically that he is transferring? NDSU.

Great info, very much appreciated (amusing as well). I had heard he had some connection with Coach Ahelegbe, didn't know it was through AAU ball though. Guessing he will enjoy playing with Hooker as well.

Wow I am really hyped about this. I really wanted him last year but I guess it's better late than never. I should probably hold my enthusiasm though because I was excited about Calc and he hasn't exactly been a difference maker. Let's run some sick pick'n'rolls between Hooker and Shanks next year!

With Shanks, next year is starting to take a very positive shape. In fact without all the selfish play next years team could be much better than what we have this year. Tyler at the point is a proven player and excellent shooter and scorer, Hooker at the off guard hopefully with his experience this year will be much improved with his outside shot, Stefen is an excellent all around player that is very unselfish and plays great defense and takes very good shots, Calcaterra has showed some signs of what he may be capable of and if they slide him down to the 4 with Shanks providing all that we need at the post. Benton, Antwi and Hobaugh and Salmonson will provide good support and I believe we still have 3-4 scholarships to offer. Really thought after this year we were in trouble not anymore.

This is an awesome story. You never know what you do that might pay off in the end.

SDSU board had Shanks envy. First they thought they'd go after him, then they started the rumor that he was only good enough for D2, then they thought UM had him and then they really wanted him again. After all, they are the flagship program of the Summit! Guess the Bison fans need to educate the bunnies about how good Shanks is, because bisonville knows everything, even better than Saul.

http://sdsufans.com/...on-Shanks/page2

Montana seems like the only Big Sky team that has a history of big talented centers.

Wow I am really hyped about this. I really wanted him last year but I guess it's better late than never. I should probably hold my enthusiasm though because I was excited about Calc and he hasn't exactly been a difference maker. Let's run some sick pick'n'rolls between Hooker and Shanks next year!

That would involve passing to someone who is open - We would need a change of culture for that to happen

I don't follow high school ball or recruiting all that closely. Basically I never know much about a player until he signs on with North Dakota, so I can't really comment on what to expect from Shanks. But I will say that a 7 footer that schools like Utah St., Colorado St., and Minnesota were interested in should be a quality addition. I have no idea whether he is the type of player that you'd build a team around, but even if he can contribute in the same fashion that a guy like Mitch Wilmer did, he'll be a solid asset to the program. Who here wouldn't love to have Mitch Wilmer on this years team simply for his work ethic and defensive presence?

• Upvote 1

Lavachek from Williston St. is one.

As 92,96 pointed out, Houston Lavachek is to be getting a lot of attention UND, SU and the Montana schools. He's a 6'9" kid out of Glenburn, ND and at freshman at Williston St. He supposedly has grown 3 inches this last year and has looked very good this last summer. He didn't play AAU ball so he was somewhat overlooked. He would have qualified for a 4-year school this year, so he is free to transfer after his freshman year. That said, I don't know if he can actively be recruited as a freshman at a JC.

Dickerson is averaging 20/game and Lavachek 14. Lavachek has made 53 3s (38%). The team is 19-4.