SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

His team was undefeated until losing in the Class 2 championship game - they finished 30-1. Looking at the video, he runs pretty well, uses his left hand and has a decent touch - granted this was against shorter competition but those are good traits to have against any level of competition. I would have thought he would have averaged more than 11 points/game but with such a good team, they must have had some other horses and didn't need to rely on him.

He also had an offer from UMKC.

Bryce Cashman@bmcashman1358m

I just wanted to say thank you to @jshay5 and staff for the opportunity that they are giving me to come play for UND!!

Coach Shay paying dividends already.

Agree - hopefully, Shay will assist in acquiring another couple more commitments prior to November 13th. We should be in good shape at the guard position for next year but need to find some 3s and 4s along with another 5.

Apparently we have another PG offer out to:

PG Tyrone Taylor, 6'3”, 165, Grandview (Grandview), MO Has offers from SDSU, Santa Clara, FL Gulf Coast, Long Island, Brookllyn, MO St, UNO, Utah St, Creighton & Wichita St

Looks like coach Shay may have some contacts in Missouri

His team was undefeated until losing in the Class 2 championship game - they finished 30-1. Looking at the video, he runs pretty well, uses his left hand and has a decent touch - granted this was against shorter competition but those are good traits to have against any level of competition. I would have thought he would have averaged more than 11 points/game but with such a good team, they must have had some other horses and didn't need to rely on him.

He also had an offer from UMKC.

Appears he also had offers from Neb-Omaha, Pacific, Arkansas State and SFA. Plus two more that aren't named.

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/275746/

Interesting comment from SU's Phillips:

For the time being, Phillips is just fine impressing future recruits with an NDSU football game.

“We get a kid in the Fargodome on a fall Saturday for that intro … it just makes a real strong statement for NDSU,” Phillips said. “Quite frankly, our football success helps our program immensely in recruiting. I am of the belief just because you have a great football program doesn’t mean you can’t have a great basketball program.”

Unfortunately, BB recruits visiting UND this fall may have the opposite effect.

Interesting comment from SU's Phillips:

For the time being, Phillips is just fine impressing future recruits with an NDSU football game.

“We get a kid in the Fargodome on a fall Saturday for that intro … it just makes a real strong statement for NDSU,” Phillips said. “Quite frankly, our football success helps our program immensely in recruiting. I am of the belief just because you have a great football program doesn’t mean you can’t have a great basketball program.”

Unfortunately, BB recruits visiting UND this fall may have the opposite effect.

The funny thing about that quote is that a certain poster on Bisonville who is employed by FU and another who posts here and is a self proclaimed recruiting guru, try and knock UND for bringing recruits to hockey games during the winter recruiting season.

I agree with Saul's point. UND hockey is huge for a reason, they win. Volleyball this year proves that if a team wins in Grand Forks, it will get plenty of fan support and excitement.

The funny thing about that quote is that a certain poster on Bisonville who is employed by FU and another who posts here and is a self proclaimed recruiting guru, try and knock UND for bringing recruits to hockey games during the winter recruiting season.

I agree with Saul's point. UND hockey is huge for a reason, they win. Volleyball this year proves that if a team wins in Grand Forks, it will get plenty of fan support and excitement.

Very good point!

Article on Geno Crandall from Northstarhoopsreport.com on September 2nd....

Recruiting Report: Crandall setting 2 visits

DeLaSalle is incredibly talented. They have one of the elite power forwards in the nation in Reid Travis, two of the top three 2015 prospects in Jarvis Johnson and Sacar Anim, and one of the senior up and comers in James Lawson who happens to be one of the state's best defenders. What they also have is a talented senior scorer in Geno Crandall with immense potential.

Geno joined Lawson, Jarvis, and graduated Trey Shepherd in averaging between six and seven points a game in support of leading scorers Reid Travis and Luke Scott last year. Schools have recognized Geno's potential and are coming after him hard.

“The schools showing the most interest right now would be Augustana and Sioux Falls,” said Crandall. “North Dakota has been in a bit of contact lately as well as Drake and Furman who are the other two schools I've been in frequent contact with.

“I'm working on scheduling an official to Augustana and an unofficial to UND. The most important factor in making my decision is going to be how I see myself fitting into the program. I'd like to play a bit of an uptempo style and let my speed and quickness create offense, and I'm also a fan of ball screen based offenses, though I can play other styles.”

Right now Crandall has options but he seems a long ways off from a college choice.

“I'm not quite sure when I'll be making a decision yet most likely after this upcoming high school season.”

For now the focus is high school basketball where DeLaSalle returns five of their top seven players from last year's rotation.

“This year at De we're returning four of five starters and myself from the core of our team last year and adding a few players from the JV to the mix,” Crandall stated. “I think everyone would agree that anything less than another state title would be a disappointment for us.”

Anything would be a surprise. Geno came off the bench last year but is likely to step into Luke Scott's spot as a starter. And when he steps into Luke's spot colleges will be watching, aware of his potential.

EDIT: A new article about Crandall's commitment by northstarhoops has him quoted saying he had interest from Wofford as well.

Will be interesting next year when we have 3 true point guards ( Hooker, Geno, Tyler) and you could almost consider Antwi a point guard also.

I'm guessing Geno redshirts next year anyway, but Jones runs a ton of offense with 2 guys that I would consider pretty close to true point guards (Webb/Anderson) so I don't think it will be too big of a deal. I think both of them will be able to play off the ball. With the offense UMKC ran, it probably won't be that strange for Tyler.